problem w/ lowrance 540c baja ;-(

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
Well out on our night ride at Truckhaven around 1am I lost power to my GPS = lowrance 540c baja.

In checking it, the fuse was out, I replace it and it blew again.
check power line it's OK try and run new line with fuse to unit and another fuse blew
unplug line from unit and power good put new fuse and try to plug unit and blew fuse again

So it look like it's inside the unit, has anyone had this problem and can you go inside the unit or does anyone know how to fix it ;-(​

TURBO1330

Aug 11, 2009
so cal
no thats wasnt lost that was u keeping us out playing for a little longer.. plus if they say u need a new gps lowrance has a new one based off the old 540c not that new HD crap

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
no thats wasnt lost that was u keeping us out playing for a little longer.. plus if they say u need a new gps lowrance has a new one based off the old 540c not that new HD crap
Do you have the model number ;-)

And yes it was a trick to keep us out playing more ;-)

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
I just got the HDS-5 Baja (Exact same thing as the 5m, except it doesn't include the water charts)...worked great for my chasing during the Baja 500.

As far as your 540c, if you didn't purchase from PCI it wasn't "ruggedized". PCI takes the units apart and insures that the internal componets are solid and will not vibrate loose. They no longer have to do this with the HDS series cause Lowrance learned from PCI. I'd suspect you have a componet loose on the circuit board that is shorting your 12V to ground (thus popping your fuse).

TURBO1330

Aug 11, 2009
so cal
ya its the elite 5m its based off the 540c without the fish finder radar ..down to the basics but it works unlike the new hd crap thats what my insider told me.. frank keep the 540c thats the best one i was just saying not to by the new hd setup ..plus next time bring out that drum i heard about

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
I just got the HDS-5 Baja (Exact same thing as the 5m, except it doesn't include the water charts)...worked great for my chasing during the Baja 500.

As far as your 540c, if you didn't purchase from PCI it wasn't "ruggedized". PCI takes the units apart and insures that the internal componets are solid and will not vibrate loose. They no longer have to do this with the HDS series cause Lowrance learned from PCI. I'd suspect you have a componet loose on the circuit board that is shorting your 12V to ground (thus popping your fuse).
You are right I did get to power up the unit but as soon as I try to power up the GPS bam the fues blows again ;-(

It does look like something inside got loose or blown. I may have to open it up ;-)

And you right I did not buy it from PCI ;-(

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
ya its the elite 5m its based off the 540c without the fish finder radar ..down to the basics but it works unlike the new hd crap thats what my insider told me.. frank keep the 540c thats the best one i was just saying not to by the new hd setup ..plus next time bring out that drum i heard about

Hope to try and fix the 540c it has been good to me till now ;-)

Well the drum only come out after a long Day ride so next time we do a nice day ride you will need to come a ride to see the drum ;-)

TURBO1330

Aug 11, 2009
so cal
lowrance was bought out by a investment co..like 2 years ago thats where the new hd crap came from the new stuff doesnt real time track as good as the old stuff..bitd veg to reno it wasnt good ..others have the same problem with the new stuff..

ranchmkt

From The Land Of Avacado's - UTVUnderground Approv
Sep 11, 2009
Fallbrook
"Frank sure knows how to take care of people he is a good dude."

And probably one of the calmest people too. Frank could talk you down from the roof ledge.:eek: It was fun to talk with you on the radio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000