Pure Polaris OIL!?

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
All Pure Polaris oil is contracted from a company called Lubrication Technology. They also produce Mobil, Chevron, Honda, Kendall and Motorcraft.

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
That is all I run in my RZR. Never had a problem and I get a discount through my local dealer. It has never let me down and I like to run the Polaris lubricants all the way around as they were specified to do from the factory.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Just remember that there are two Polaris oils typically on the shelves; PS4 Plus and PS4 Extreme Duty. The Plus is a good colder weather/ trail riding oil. But for ultimate hot weather protection in racing, dunes and extreme performance driving applications, they have the Extreme Duty. I did some research and found out it has a wider viscosity rating (5W-50 I believe), and has more of the good stuff like phosphorus and zinc added. These two important andt-wear addidives are missing is regular automotive oils because they would kill a catalitic converter. Most motorcycle oils don't have 'additive packs' because it will ruin a wet clutch. Soooo...what you have with the Extreme Duty oil is very unique and extremely good for your RZR. I always run it in my race RZR and play RZR.

Mitch G

2009-2010-2012 King Of The Hammers UTV winner
Feb 14, 2010
I run them both in all my rzrs... never had a single problem.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
So how does it compare to the likes of Mobil 1? There are also different flavors you can but there, and being it's also a full synthetic, is it as good? What's the cost difference?

So far I've run Polaris oils for everything but the crankcase. My last oil change I used the Mobil 1. Any reason to consider going back?

Dan ...

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
So how does it compare to the likes of Mobil 1? There are also different flavors you can but there, and being it's also a full synthetic, is it as good? What's the cost difference?

So far I've run Polaris oils for everything but the crankcase. My last oil change I used the Mobil 1. Any reason to consider going back?

Dan ...
Mobile 1 is an auto oil, primarily designed for fuel economy. I don't think they designed it to run at over 8000 RPM for hours at an end. It is your engine, and ultimately your decision. Personally I would never run regular 'fuel economy' auto oil in a high performance UTV.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Automotive oil and motorcycle oil are not the same. Our small cubic inch, high RPM UTV motors operate under unique conditions in comparison to your daily driver (unless it’s a motorcycle).
Some examples of these unique conditions include:
  • Anti-foaming additives reduce/eliminate foaming. High RPMs causes oil to foam, this foaming can cause low/no lubrication conditions, especially in the small oil journals and lifters.
  • Detergents to help neutralize combustion byproduct acids that are prone in our engines
  • Anti-Oxidizing additives. Short runs, long storage and humidity will cause oxidation and rust.
  • Specification on friction properties that help reduce wet clutch slip
The latest automotive API spec is SN. This spec limits the amount of phosphorous that can be contained in the oil. We know that phos is an excellent anti-wear agent, but is also a key factor in exhaust hydrocarbons. The API SN provides a MAXIMUM phos level of 0.08% mass, whereas JASO MA/MA1/MA2 utilizes a MINIMUM level of 0.08% and up to 0.12%. This insures that you have enough of this key anti-wear agent, while also addressing the needs of street bikes that utilize catalytic converters.

JASO also limits the amount of sulfated ash. This is mainly due to the dropping phos concentrations in automotive oils. When phosphorus is absent; barium, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium are converted to their sulfates. Tin and zinc are converted to their oxides. All these metals are very destructive to soft metals common in motorcycle/atv/utv vehicles (shift forks, bearing liners, ect…). By limiting the amount of sulfated ash, you limit the concentration of these elements and therefore greatly reduce sulfates and oxides in the oil.

I HIGHLY recommend a JASO MA2 oil in any wet clutch application. The MA2 standard tightened the window for friction performance. JASO MA/MA1 are still much better than any API rated oil, MA2 defines a much better friction performance and less possibility for “slipâ€.

:D

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
...and RZR's don't have a wet clutch so you can do better than a motorcycle oil...aka PS4 Extreme Duty.

Good info AZ Amsoil

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
The kroyer motor kit I got for the 800 say not to run the Polaris oil. Says joe gibbs oil or Mobil 1 10-40
Kevin (Kroyer) now has over a year experience with the new PS4 Extreme Duty oil and definately recommends it. It is all we run in our 120 hp Kroyer Racing Engines RZR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000