Yamaha R1 Engine Swap - Keep 4x4!!!

4X4 R1-Rhino

Jan 16, 2009
washington state
As some of you may know, there are a few Rhino owners that have upgraded the engine to a streebike-powered set-up. So far, theve all been built into 2wd setups. I elected to retain 4X4 on my Rhino and upgrade the engine as well.

I have a 2004 Rhino that I installed a 2004 Yamaha YZF1000 R1 engine into.
These engines produce approx 180HP in stock form! I was able keep the stock Rhino 4wd functions by utilizing a small gearbox, modifying it slightly for use as a transfer case...The new 4130 chromealloy drivelines pass completely through the gearbox; and then connect to the front and rear diffs. Im still using the stock diffs and axles for the time being. I used stock Rhino u-joints through-out and was able to get some different yokes for the driveline from a yamaha shaft drive motorcycle (they use the same u-joint).:rolleyes:

From the output shaft on the engine(where the sprocket normally is) I had a coupler machined with a flanged yoke, u-joint, and a sleave machined to fit the gearbox's input shaft...;)

So the setup is ALL shaft drive...NO CHAINS:D

The cool little gearbox has HI and Low ranges AND reverse.
Each of the motorcycle engines 6 gears can be used in any of the ranges or reverse. LOW RANGE, 1st gear is very low and slow, with idle speed of only 2MPH! (like low,lo in a 4x4 truck or jeep).... In high range and in 6th gear the top speed is nearly 100MPH on 29" tires!

This design gives you the best of both worlds, 4x4 and POWER without sacrificeing much in the process...:eek:

Another cool thing is the clutch; ( I added a pedal on the floor) much more engine braking the the stock cvt system, more controll over the engine as well.

Another nifty thing is that I have all the gears/ranges avaliable from ONE shift knob....Its really slick.

Check out the vids.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A11ZpBxwTkY"]YouTube - rhino shifter[/ame]

Allan

Attachments

Last edited:

DSD

Dirty Side Down - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Surprise
How about a gear box without the 2 ranges? With the exception of the super low and super high, most of the gears would be over lapping anyway?

4X4 R1-Rhino

Jan 16, 2009
washington state
How about a gear box without the 2 ranges? With the exception of the super low and super high, most of the gears would be over lapping anyway?
Heres the problem with that....in a steetbike engine, the gear ratios are very close together,:rolleyes: so you would have to compromise either top end speed or low speed crawling, with only one gearbox "range" ratio:mad:...My setup allows both low end grunt and high top speeds depending on which range its in.;)

DSD

Dirty Side Down - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Surprise
I know, I would rather have the high end than stunp pulling low end. What does it pull like if you start off in the high range? It still has to be a whole lot better than a single cylinder 660 or 700!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I still think who ever sells those, would sell more if the UTV peeps knew who the Mfr was! :eek:

4X4 R1-Rhino

Jan 16, 2009
washington state
Stock, like the pics show....if and when I do a Long Travel system, it will be posted over in the suspension section.

Next month I will be running Super Swamper TSL (29x8.50x15)

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Divorced T-case box, there are a few different makes out there.
Pretty sure I know what thats out of and its not what you think, his secert though, Ill let him tell you.

F

family adventure

You HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!! 1000cc over 100 hp and 4x4 !!!! I know what my next mud bogger project is!!! Nice write up!! Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000