Yamaha R1 Rhino build up

ryno93

Mar 17, 2011
your a life saver! I'm guessing the headers are a little bit narrower than the side case to side case width? I already have the frame done and the seats mounted and im working with about 21" inbetween the seats. I originally never planned on putting in a r1 engine thats why its not too wide. whats your thoughts on if the motor will fit?

marc177s

Jan 2, 2011
your a life saver! I'm guessing the headers are a little bit narrower than the side case to side case width? I already have the frame done and the seats mounted and im working with about 21" inbetween the seats. I originally never planned on putting in a r1 engine thats why its not too wide. whats your thoughts on if the motor will fit?
Yes, headers are narrower then the side cases. My seats are right at about 23" apart. I just double checked and my 2 frame rails are 20" apart. The engine fits well within my frame rails. If your at 21" you'll be fine but it will be snug.

Here's a photo of mine and how it fits with the seats at 22".

marc177s

Jan 2, 2011
Here's a pict. of my fix to correct the steering geometry. I cut the stock tie rod mounts off the rack and made a new mount bringing them out to the same width as the mounting location for the a-arms. Now the tie rods are right in line with the upper a-arms. I still get a little bump steering at full bump, but it's very, very minimal.

I also made a 1 1/4" dimple die for the sheetmetal. The smaller hole in the upper control arm is dimpled. I still need to make another for the larger hole.

ryno93

Mar 17, 2011
Thats what I wanna hear!!! hahaha:D Thanks for the pic cause my seats are almost exactly the same width apart (1"). I just want to be able to put an aluminum engine cover all the way around and have me and the passenger some what comfortable(not have the engine burning the side of the seats).. ha and i like what you did with the steering!

marc177s

Jan 2, 2011
I haven't been on this site for awhile, but here's a few pict's of some of the work that was done during the last week or so.

Shock tower is in.

My garage last week.

Fab'd up my throttle pedal.

Fab'd up my rear hubs from 4" x .250 wall tubing. The carrier uprights are made of 2" x 1/2" plate. I braced the front of the uprights with 1/2" plate in 2 locations on the front side of the hub. I strapped the bushing tubes with 3/16" plate. Should be pretty bullet proof. With the rear a-arms in and everything cinched up, I'm getting 15" of travel in the rear with my axles at 26*. I working on possibly going from the 930 axles to beefed up Toyota front drive shafts with 1350 u-joints.

The car is now a roller with 15" of clearance at the frame rails.

I still have alot of frame work to do. So I'll get on that this week and hopefully on the tin soon. I'd really like to be taking it to Yerington the 3rd week of April, but that's just not going to happen.

marc177s

Jan 2, 2011
It's been awhile since I've done anything or did any up dates on here. I've been doing the summer stuff. I did do a little here and there though but I am getting back on it now. Here's what I've done so far.

Did up my dash and gauges. I put my fuse panel right on the dash for fast access. I also installed a battery cut off switch which is the little black box just under the last gauge.

Here's the new air box. I'm running my headers over the motor due to lack of clearance going under. So I had to make a new air box and as long as I wrap the headers and put a good heat shield inside the engine cover I should be okay from the heat.

I just finished the radiator shroud today. I moded the radiator to fit the R1 hoses and added a couple hose barbs for the extra hoses.

marc177s

Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, I just installed the Weller header on my brother's R1. Their was a couple concerns I had with that header.
For some reason it won't clear on mine either. After talking to SPD Exhaust, I decided to make my own using their collector.

marc177s

Jan 2, 2011
I'll run it where ever. Mostly short course since Prarie City is only 10 minutes from my house.

marc177s

Jan 2, 2011
Well, the build I started 3 years ago went stale for awhile. Just been too busy. But it's been revived. It's been assembled and fired up. Now chassis has been stripped back down and moved into my paintbooth last week. Just sprayed the 1st coat of implement paint yesterday and should be shooting clear on it next week. Pushing to have this thing done and ready for Pismo this Labor day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000