RacerTech CanAm Commander JUMP..Nosedive Discussion

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Re: Racer Tech Can Am Commander JUMP VIDEO!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....Lawn dart!:eek:

So Cal Erik

Jul 28, 2009

Yeah....Go read on the can-am forums about how the guys are having problems with the way the Commander jumps(Nosedives) due to what the owners think is the throttle by wire system.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM

Yeah....Go read on the can-am forums about how the guys are having problems with the way the Commander jumps(Nosedives) due to what the owners think is the throttle by wire system.
Yep, heard the same thing.

Jon C, you have a Commander, have you tried any jumps yet, how about different types of jumps such as in the video above versus dune jumps?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

I will drop some knowledge on you guys here....

As most of you know I had the opportunity to drive the Cam Am months before its release in the dunes of Little Sahara in Utah. During the test session I put the X through its paces, I mean I really ran it hard. During a run through the baby dunes I found some pretty gnarly looking whoops....I gassed it into the section but I could feel that something was almost jerking the car back as I was throttling and feathering the gas. I looked at the Can Am guy riding with me asked him if the car had some sort of a torque limiter or something? He said NO. So then we were ripping through some small bowls towards sand mountain and I am going at a solid looking jump and as I told the Can Am guy to hang on I gassed it hard and launched a lip like I have done a million times in the desert. Right away I felt the X nose dive. I was like woah, I must have let off, so being the dip shit I am I gas it at another but this time hold it down and it launches and flew better but still nose dived.

We got back to our trailer location and I was giving my feedback to the engineers on the shock charecteristics and a few other things. Despite a few obvious problems we were having with Fuel Injection the biggest thing I brought up was the fact that the car felt like it was slowing down in the air. The engineer at that point (the guy in the car with me was not an engineer) told me that in fact BRP had put a type of torque limiter in the drivetrain to preserve the breaking of axles and drive train components. The idea is that when the wheels get off the ground the limiter will reduce the wheel spin so that when the car lands it will not be spinning so fast that we tear up CV's and Axles. Now while I told them concept was good I also told them the way it was set right now was VERY dangerous. That the car has a tendency to nose dive not just during jumps but anytime you may get the wheels off the ground like a whoop section. They assured me that they loved my feedback and that they would address the situation..........

Dont believe my story? I am sure Magnum Dan, Jon Crowley, and a few others who were privey to my info upon returning from the trip could confirm this story. In Can Am's defense here I have not driven a production unit off road so maybe they did de tune it a bit?

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
damn engineers....always over engineering sh!t..... i am sure there will be some form of delete....but one thing that shouldnt have to be "fixed":rolleyes:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
no it doesnt have a droop sensor...lol...it would be able to sense wheel spin "slipping" for example and then compensate the wheel slip by slowing down the revolutions on the driveshaft or differential.....

If I remember their explanation it was the motor sensing the RPM spikes? I dont know...I may need to get some calls in to BRP before taking this thing tooooo far....lol

Atleast thats the way I understood the explenation...both the engineers spoke in strong French/Canadian accents so I could have missed some of it but the way I gathered it was that it was a type of torque limiter.

Hapa

Ricky Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Oc
www.glamisdunesstorage.com
Don't need a rev limiter or a torq sensor??? If your boat gets air born you let off until you are back on the ground/water.... Who is driving these things little old lady's or guys who want the fastest UTV made, Please lay off Can-Am just let us ride at our own limits. BTW you probably just let off Joey:)

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
Checked my X high and low, no droop sensor. I think it's driver error, especially after seeing this video. And by driver error I mean jump selection and throttle control.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wj3fohvQNFU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wj3fohvQNFU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I will know 1st hand when we get back from taking the Commanders out to G. :D

Hapa

Ricky Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Oc
www.glamisdunesstorage.com
Checked my X high and low, no droop sensor. I think it's driver error, especially after seeing this video. And by driver error I mean jump selection and throttle control.

I will know 1st hand when we get back from taking the Commanders out to G. :D
I agree with ya Dano, we have seen this so many times before and it's usually driver error and or jump choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000