Yamaha Rear axle help

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
Im trying to fabricate a rear axle using the stock rhino rear cv joints. I have inquired about a custom inner splined shaft to slip over the cv but no shop around me has the tool to build such a piece. I have been toying with the idea of finding a steel pipe to press fit over the splines and weld on each end of the inboard cv joint. My plan then is to mount a sprocket onto the pipe which will be driven by 530 chain. Motor is from a 05 gsxr 750. I am running a jackshaft in between motor drive sprocket and rear axle. Let me know if you think this idea will work or not.

Attachments

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
Not sure I'm following what your trying to do? The picture looks like the stub shafts? Maybe make a quick drawing of what your trying to do. I just built a GSXR powered ride and went thru all that your experiencing.

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
Here is a drawing I did up. The Steel pipe would be pressed into place. I could machine it to fit perfectly. The ends of the pipe would then be welded to the stub shaft. The splines would be completly enclosed by the pipe. I would mounted the steel pipe to ride in pillow blocks to hold it in place. I would also be curious to see some pictures of your setup if possible. I also have attached a picture of Jason Wellers first setup which is basically trying to achieve here. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
I'd like to get rid of the spline setup all together which is why I was trying to stay away from machining the ring gear to work. The splines seem like the weak point in the drive line. The 930 flange is a good idea. I'll look into that, thanks

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
That should work fine. You might want to drill and spot weld a couple of holes as well as just welding up the end. I would machine a shoulder on each side and then press the pillow block bearings on so that you don't get any lateral movement. Then make a mount for the sprocket and weld that on as opposed to welding on the sprocket. That way you can switch ratios or easily replace a worn out one.
I originally had a toyota 8" in mine driven by a drive shaft but the amount of travel ended up being more angle than it could handle. Just finishing changing it over to a fixed differential with 930 cv's. I wanted to avoid the chain but not sure if all the extra time and money was worth it or not. I guess we will see next season how the car does.:rolleyes:

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
Thanks for the help gents. I think I will go the 930 flange route. May cost a bit more but wll be easier to change sprockets as everything will be bolted together. If I went the pipe route the only way to get it off would be to cut it off and most likely build a new pipe.

I'll post pictures when my project is completed.

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
So just to confirm what I should do. From what I've seen the 930 cv joint is bolted in between the drive flange that connects to diff and the other flange. I take it I can just weld the outer flange to my rhino inboard cv joints and bolt it up to the drive flange?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000