Road to the Hammers

speedyangie

The Need, The Need For SPEED.......UTVUndergroun d
Jul 31, 2011
Cali
Howdy everyone!

I thought it'd be fun to start a thread about everyone's prep for the Hammers. It'll be cool to share what we're working on and let the fans know what they're in for when February rolls around.

Any racers are welcome to post up what their team is working on and anyone else is welcome to chime in about whatever. It'll be fun! :)

Come on people...get excited!!!

Speedy.

speedyangie

The Need, The Need For SPEED.......UTVUndergroun d
Jul 31, 2011
Cali
So, my first post should probably be about how I decided to enter the Hammers in the first place eh? A "How It All Started" post if you will. I won't bore you with my entire life story, so we'll start with when I was bit by the speed bug (which, after typing it, is quite long to begin with...so you'll have to bear with me).

My love of motorized toys :eek: began with motorcycles. I started on the street and just couldn't get enough of carving through the canyons down to the beach on a crisp Sunday morning to have fish and chips at Neptune's Net in Malibu.

After realizing that motorcycles were dangerous :confused:, it was to the dirt! A quad (a Banshee, of course), then a dirt bike (another two-stroker), then a RZR became the new rides of choice.

While all this was going on, I had started drag racing. I know, cool right? :D And, boy oh boy, was it addictive! There's nothing like spending countless hours brainstorming, building, tuning, re-building, racing...rinse and repeat! It was very much a roller coaster ride. Highs - such as a dyno session with great numbers and the motor still in tact, qualifying for a race, beating someone who is supposed to be faster than you to lows - breaking a transmission, throwing a rod through your block, losing a race by .01 seconds after having traveled 10 hours to get to the track...but even through everything, I was bit...bad.

Once I realized that I could combine my love of weekend off-roading and hanging out by the campfire with friends and competitive racing, it was like "Eureka!" :)

Last February, I had the pleasure of joining my La Familia buddies out in JV. Seeing a car that looked much like mine run the gnarly Hammers course - speeding over whoops and maneuvering over the rocks, I thought to myself "I could do that. Let's build a car for next year." And...here we are!

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the next installment.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Subscribed. Way to follow your passion Angie!!! (Although you know I'm dying to get you that bumper sticker that says "If You Can Read This, Turn me over") ;)

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
were allready looking around for firewood. we will be there tue-sat . in a 37 foot toy hauler this time. i hope our tent days are over.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
It makes my day to see the legacy of the King of the Hammers continue.

I would love to share some experience;

For both spectators and racers.

1.)Remember to have fun, its all about having fun, and its easy to get caught up in the moment. In the 7 years of KOH there has been very little crime reported. There are few cities of the size of Hammertown that can make the same claim in any given week.
2.) Don't leave stuff laying around, there is minor petty theft if its easy to steal, including your beer, and spare gas.
3.) bring plenty of cash. Unless you are shopping at SXSPerformance credit cards don't often work. (shameless plug)
4.) Bring cloths for all types of weather. You just never know at the hammers.
5.)Use a GPS to mark your camp if you are on the lake bed, believe me you can lose your camp.

UTVRacers
1.) You may not think you need a winch but its good insurance
2.) Prep Prep Prep
3.) don't kill your car pre running
4.) don't pre run at mach 5
5.) remember to have fun
6.) Don't be afraid to pull cable and save your car, the finish is well worth the effort
7.) Don't skimp on safety
8.) Communication is key
9.) Your pit crew is everything
10.) Thank your family at the finish line first.

Make sure you donate to save the hammers so we can continue to enjoy Johnson Valley. www.savethehammers.org

Last thing
Fire is bad, don't disrespect fire. Keep more extinguishers than what you need in the pits, and on the car. Keep clean water in case of a burn in each pit. Don't wear synthetic underwear, it will melt. If you don't have nomex for your crew, wear only 100% cotton.

Good luck, and enjoy the week of fun

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000