RZR 170 setup questions

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
First off let me say that I am in Louisiana so my kid won't be racing against your kid so PM me if you would share any "secret" info.

Setting up my youngest to race his 170 in XC races. These courses are setup pretty easy for the kids. He is 100lbs and I have to ride along at 172lb. Buggy is stock except for a ported head, cam & exhaust. For power I know I am currently leaving a lot on the table without a larger carb and will add that.

I am looking for any info someone will share, such as:
shocks?
tire & wheel sizes?
gearing?
clutch work?
suspension work?

I am thinking Walker Evans shocks, same size wheel & tires all around, Magnum adjustable A-arms, but have no real data to back any of that up. I would appreciate any help that anyone would give.

Thanks,
Scott

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
Thanks Jim, I was not aware that you offered these parts. Would you mind sharing info on the testing that has been done to develop the shock valving & spring rates? Since it seems to be a new product I am wanting to hear if they have been fully tested and tweaked or if it's still ongoing.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
It is a new product, we have been testing them since early last year to get them dialed in. All test an tuning was done by us to get valving and spring rates. Now we finally have them working the way we want so now they were released. As far as racers. There is only a couple of sets in the field so I cant really say there has been race proven results on them, Time will tell on the race course but I expect that they will hold their own. A set was raced on at parker and the Youngster pulled off a 6th out of 30 or so. It was his first 170 race ever.

Reactions: JoeyD23

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
Jim, are the arms actually 3" longer or do they add that much width at the normal suspension angle? I am asking because I have to maintain a 50" max width for class rules. My plan is to do the arms and then get wheels to set me right at 50 on the front. That way I can add travel, adjustability, reduce scrub radius and widen the front vs the rear to improve understeer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000