RZR 4 900 vs. RZR 4 1000........HELP!

grumpyguy08

Oct 22, 2013
I've just started looking at forums for RZR's as I am a reformed Yamaholic, and I have to say that I'm a bit concerned about the choice that I have made in my next SXS. Last month I put a deposit on the new XP 4 1000 and in reading the forum the last couple days or so I have been mortified to find that my dream machine is not so great. How can this be and are all the stories I'm reading really true. I know that a picture says a thousand words and I have seen the pics of fiery carnage, belts broken, and front drive lines sheared, but what are the circumstances behind the scenes? How do I know if the 22K+ dollars I'm spending are worth it, and will I be as happy with a 900 4 seater that is a proven champion instead of the 1000? I need lots of input on this people so please feel free to comment.

dev's rzr

Jan 7, 2011
glandora ca
well look at how many units are out there ... just like everything some people ride the hell out of em and others just ride em. I have all three units and they have been very reliable .

Timberdog

Aug 23, 2010
Get the extended warranty and don't worry about it. I've watched some P-town vids and some vids on this site and can't believe the abuse these machines are put through. Personally, I believe a lot of people want Polaris to fail, not sure why but it doesn't hurt to keep these big compananies honest. I own a T4 not a Polaris but everyone should know first year bugs will need to be sorted. Get your new ride, do a proper break in and don't drink too much of the koolaide aide...lol. I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
If your going to leave it completely stock then an extended warranty will be good unless you can fix it yourself. These warranty claim take too much time to approve and get fixed and that's if they approve the work. That's why I say you have to leave it stock. I have seen several people denied because they have after market parts on there rzr. Parts that are not even related to what broke. Parts are going to break on anything but it's stuff like all the broken belts that scare me. I'm sure it will be sorted out but it's going to be long and frustrating for the owners as well as expensive for somepeople.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

rzrrick

Nov 23, 2013
Wildomar, CA
I have a new 900 4 and love it....About a dozen of us took a ride to Swansea(Parker, AZ) Saturday after Thanksgiving and one brand new 1000 4, worked just fine with no problems. It is faster than the 900 4. Costs more too. :D
Lots of fun

Candie

Oct 16, 2013
Anaheim, CA
If your going to leave it completely stock then an extended warranty will be good unless you can fix it yourself. These warranty claim take too much time to approve and get fixed and that's if they approve the work. That's why I say you have to leave it stock. I have seen several people denied because they have after market parts on there rzr. Parts that are not even related to what broke. Parts are going to break on anything but it's stuff like all the broken belts that scare me. I'm sure it will be sorted out but it's going to be long and frustrating for the owners as well as expensive for somepeople.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
3 or 4 $200 belts in a weekend is pretty expensive, I guess! When your biggest expense to go camping is belts "Houston we have a problem". Too much for this girl.

grumpyguy08

Oct 22, 2013
No plans for any engine or tranny mods just want a good family vehicle that is going to be dependable and not have to worry about whether or not it will leave me and my family stranded. Really leaning more towards th 900 because of dependability. Thank for the help everyone. Keep the opinions coming.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I would steer clear of a 1000 right now til they figure out the belt situation. Sure a warranty is great, but who wants the hassle of taking your new 25K machine back and forth to a dealer?? Or blowing hundreds of dollars on belts. Let the other guys buy em right now and deal with the first year pains. Get a 900 or wait for next years model. OR look at the CanAm 4 seater. I think that is a good machine with great power and suspension from what I've read

duner19

Jan 4, 2011
I just purchased a 2013 900 4 seater for a great deal and I have about two dunes trips on mine. I like it a lot. I came from a 800s and it's night and day. Super stable great power. No complaints. Have not drive a 1000 4 so I don't know how much it helps. If you want to know anything just ask.

riverride

Nov 6, 2013
I just sold my RZR 800 4, have a fair amount of time behind the wheel of a Jagged X and now have an XP 1000 4. My opinion the ride of the 900 doesn't even come close to the 1000. The 1000 is a big step up from the 900...just like the 900 is a big step up from the 800. Yes my new 1000 has a few issues and at the moment I'm not to happy with how Polaris is not much help. But these issues are new to a new machine and things take time. I believe within a month we will start to get answers and fixes. I wouldn't rush out and buy a 1000 just yet (like I did) but if you want the best ride out of any sxs on the market maybe wait a month and see how Polaris handles the issues it has. If I just wanted a putt putt that is dependable I love the 800. Mine had 3,000 trouble free miles. My 1000 has 7 hours on it and the belt is about done.

grumpyguy08

Oct 22, 2013
Thanks for the infor Marvin, the only problem I am facing is that my 1000 is suposed to be here on the 23rd of Dec. I have been assured that I should not have any problems by numerous people, not salesmen, that with proper belt break-in. If that is the worst of the problems that people are seeing with this machine, I believe I will be happy with it. This is my first new generation Polaris and I have to say, I never had ANY problems with my Rhino, but it was limited as to being a very diverse machine, as I took it one time to the sand dunes and it pretty much sucked. So here I am shelling out 25K on a machine that I am nervous as hell about, but hey, you only live once right?

riverride

Nov 6, 2013
Hey Scott I don't want to add to your nervousness but...mine also has a heavy vibration when in 4wd, has lost power and backfired 3 times, the front end clanks when I lock up the brakes and my instrument cluster has gone schizo a couple of times. I've been very easy on it so far too. However if the dealer offered me a refund I'd say "hell no" I love my new RZR. I'm confident these issues will get resolved. Right now it kind of sucks waiting on Polaris to own up and dealing with a dealer who can't get these problems to replicate because they only have a 300' concrete alley to test it in. Getting my new RZR has been like landing a beautiful girl and falling in love...then finding out she's a manic depressive drug addict...but I can fix her and then she'll be good to go. Right?

Dunecrusher

Dunecrusher
May 14, 2012
Oak hills CA
If your still shopping don't overlook the wildcat 4. It's a lot of dollars for one of these and until they get the kinks out of them you will have to deal with the BS.

grumpyguy08

Oct 22, 2013
Damn! I think I'm still going to get the 1000 RZR even thoug the there are some other good machine's I just can't bring myself to buy anything but a Polaris. I'm a week away from purchase and you can bet I'll be driving it on their test track and looking for the issues people have talked about on this forum, and if it all checks out I'll be taking it home.

BENZITO

hi guys !
Jan 19, 2009
phx, az
Damn! I think I'm still going to get the 1000 RZR even thoug the there are some other good machine's I just can't bring myself to buy anything but a Polaris. I'm a week away from purchase and you can bet I'll be driving it on their test track and looking for the issues people have talked about on this forum, and if it all checks out I'll be taking it home.
There all good machines some have more problems then others it just seems the main thing in a sxs is motor and the rotax has been around for over a decade v-twin tq is unmatched , just read the rzrforum 1000 section and read thru there problems if u really want a poolaris wait for next year - plus can am has. 115 on the way !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000