RZR turbo clutch

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
yessir. the factory primary wont allow you to fit any real springs. the springs are compressed so short, that the coils touch at full shift. the springs are insanely too soft and i had multiple prototype springs made from two different manufacturers and they all coil bind. i played around with different thickness shims to get the spring rates right and tried to copy the spring rates but every spring that i had made, all but one coil binded. there was only one spring that didnt coil bind and unfortunately its the softest one we had. so its barely better than stock. the secondary is the same way. i built a new primary cover that allows me to run a longer spring like snowmobiles have. this is allowing me to use a better spring, with more spring rates available, and since we can finally put enough primary spring rate in the clutch to make it work properly, it allows us to be more flexible with the secondary.

IMG_3919.jpg IMG_3920.jpg IMG_3921.jpg IMG_3922.jpg IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3930.jpg IMG_3931.jpg IMG_3932.jpg

Reactions: Simi Dude

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i built them with cooling fins as well to try to move more air in and out of the clutches as well. the intake on the XPTurbo is in the center of the primary and secondary and splits to the two. i figured allowing the primary to move more air into itself and push it out thru a vent i am building for the front of the cover will be a wonderful test. we dropped ambient temps in the clutch cover 15 degrees with this vent at the front of the clutch cover. i just finished these primary covers this last weekend. now that we will be forcing air out that vent, i bet we will see a significant decrease in ambient temps inside the cover.

i also had STM design the secondary for me with fins. the fins on the secondary pull air into it as well and helps keep the secondary cool. we had amazing success with the exact same design last year with the prototype and the few that i sold to desert racers for XP1000s. this is the next step to making it all work together for the XPTurbo

Attachments

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i have been testing pretty much non stop ever since these machines came out. unfortunately the stock clutch has so many limitations as to what you can do to it purely because of the super short springs and super soft spring rate. i waited almost 3 months to get springs for it, i tested 9 different springs and all but one coil binded. the clutch compresses the primary and secondary springs so short, there just isnt an easy way to adequately put enough spring rate in the clutch to make it work properly without the spring coil binding and robbing top speed. i have a few of my cross country racers running some stiffer springs, and thick shims to increase the spring rate and i can make the clutch work real good, but it takes alot of spring rate, and since the springs coil bind, the clutch wont upshift all the way, which robs top speed. in these cross country cars its not a huge deal cause they rarely if ever see 70mph. in the desert though, i cant have that cause these cars live at 70+ so i have been desperately trying to get the issue solved by taking a different course of action. this new primary cover is going to be the shizz allowing me soooooo many different springs to choose from. i made the pocket wide enough that i can fit like 6 different diameter springs everything from ATV clutch springs, to snowmobile clutch springs. i ordered a tons of different springs and i am bringing them out to the World Championship to do tons of testing. i have a half dozen XPTurbos to do out there for customers and i will be able to get tons of testing in with the cover and diffferent spring rates and be able to figure out what works. Since i will be there all week and can test out there on part of the course, i will be taking customers machines and working with them and making sure they are dialed in. all the while learning what works the best and allowing me to get over the counter sales lined out better.

Reactions: Glamisfan

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Just a heads up, there's a guy out of Texas, I think his name is Russell Coker, and he has a patch for the wear issue on the primary. He's hopefully going to start selling them this week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000