RZR vs MAVERICK vs YXZ - Who wins?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Me personally, I have never experienced a better tire in the sand then my Big Horns aired down.. lol No lie, I have ran just about every sand tire there is but for some reason I just love a knobby aired down with 4wd.. wheel spin and fun with no burnt belts. I can't recall a paddle powered UTV ever walking on me to the point I couldn't catch them when I wanted in the dunes. But I don't drag race. I leave that to the guys who build their cars to go in strait lines. I like to off-road!

I have a set of the new Sand Stripper GMZ paddles on my new Turbo I am going to try out and see how I like them. Personally I think the STUs are the best looking paddles on the market. Skats always reminded me of Quad tires. They never worked good on my Rhino but then again it was a Rhino. (slow)

Last edited:
Reactions: ROTAX

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Me personally, I have never experienced a better tire in the sand then my Big Horns aired down.. lol No lie, I have ran just about every sand tire there is but for some reason I just love a knobby aired down with 4wd.. wheel spin and fun with no burnt belts. I can't recall a paddle powered UTV ever walking on me to the point I couldn't catch them when I wanted in the dunes. But I don't drag race. I leave that to the guys who build their cars to go in strait lines. I like to off-road!

I have a set of the new Sand Stripper GMZ paddles on my new Turbo I am going to try out and see how I like them. Personally I think the STUs are the best looking paddles on the market. Skats always reminded me of Quad tires. They never worked good on my Rhino but then again it was a Rhino. (slow)
I completely agree. The Big Horns on beadlocks with 3-4 psi are amazing. Like you I have driven with a slug of trick sand tires and frankly don't get the attraction. They side hill weird and are hard on the drivetrain. Plus, I flat out don't get 'smoothies' on the front. Running those is like running in 2wd (ok 2.5wd) or like fighting with only one arm. Can't wait to hit the dunes next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyD23 and ROTAX

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I completely agree. The Big Horns on beadlocks with 3-4 psi are amazing. Like you I have driven with a slug of trick sand tires and frankly don't get the attraction. The side hill weird and are hard on the drivetrain. Plus, I flat out don't get 'smoothies' on the front. Running those is like running in 2wd (ok 2.5wd) or like fighting with only one arm. Can't wait to hit the dunes next month.
3-4 psi and big g outs doesn't bottom your wheels out?

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
3-4 psi and big g outs doesn't bottom your wheels out?
Big g-out? Yes you would bottom your tire and likely get a pinch flat. But I like to 'dune' and that is all about the flow and transitions. It is a balance between traction and floatation and...not getting a phaquing flat. BTW, I run my tires hard as hell in the dez

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Nobody will want to follow you with the sand strippers they throw a gigantic roost.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I've heard someone else say this. Not sure why the Sand Stripper would be any different then other paddles? If you have the power to throw sand, then you are making traction right? Maybe UTV'ers are not used to riding behind someone with paddles? Maybe the UTV's have never had the power to big throw roost's? In buggy's we never ride right behind another buggy, and if your going to run close, you run off to the side of the buggy in front of you, plus you can see whats coming. I cant imagine the GMZ Sand Stripper throws a roost as big as a buggy with a V6 or V8. I've never heard someone say "Stop it! Your throwing too big of a roost!"

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Big g-out? Yes you would bottom your tire and likely get a pinch flat. But I like to 'dune' and that is all about the flow and transitions. It is a balance between traction and floatation and...not getting a phaquing flat. BTW, I run my tires hard as hell in the dez
Agreed on trying to be smooth and flow but in my experiences some of those G outs are unavoidable.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
As far as strain on the drive train goes, as long as you aren't over paddled there shouldn't be any more strain on than stock. My STU/DWT paddle setup is 4 lbs lighter than stock tire/wheel and the Skats are 10 lbs lighter.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I've heard someone else say this. Not sure why the Sand Stripper would be any different then other paddles? If you have the power to throw sand, then you are making traction right? Maybe UTV'ers are not used to riding behind someone with paddles? Maybe the UTV's have never had the power to big throw roost's? In buggy's we never ride right behind another buggy, and if your going to run close, you run off to the side of the buggy in front of you, plus you can see whats coming. I cant imagine the GMZ Sand Stripper throws a roost as big as a buggy with a V6 or V8. I've never heard someone say "Stop it! Your throwing too big of a roost!"
It seems they throw the sand strait up in the air. You feel like your constantly being sand blasted. Like driving over a dune with the wind blowing sand off the top.

Reactions: warlock

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Straight lining bowls= catching them? ;)
You should put your dirt tires on your sand car I heard its the greatest thing ever no lie. What no sandrail ever said lol. You should let Joey d and matt drive a Polaris 570 with some dirt tires in dunes and chase around a couple turbo utv with paddles all day and see how it goes should be a fair comparison. Just like this this thread lets compare 2 turbo utv to 1 N/A utv let see the outcome lol what did we all expect the N/A car was going to win. Maybe this is why BITD is having problems with turbo rules we want to see the best utv from the manufacters race not there other utvs.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I am not a racer, but I thought a 5 speed NA car would be quicker or "as quick" as a turbo counterpart due to power robbing belt drive????

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I am not a racer, but I thought a 5 speed NA car would be quicker or "as quick" as a turbo counterpart due to power robbing belt drive????
I think a lot of people thought that. I don't think anyone realizes how much quicker the turbo is than the N/A cars. As for me driving in the dunes with my big horns, what do I know.. I never ride or drive so I am just full of crap I guess.. lol

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I think a lot of people thought that. I don't think anyone realizes how much quicker the turbo is than the N/A cars. As for me driving in the dunes with my big horns, what do I know.. I never ride or drive so I am just full of crap I guess.. lol
Probably sponsored by Maxxis.

Reactions: ROTAX

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I used big horns 2 all last year on my 4seater 1000 to but paddles do make a difference you don't have to work car as hard with paddles as you do with out. Why don't you call your brothers robby Gordon and BJ Baldwin and ask why the run molded paddles on there Yokohama's and not just run there dirt tires. Why don't they run STU on there truck when they go to glamis. I wonder why maybe rotating weight, nobody makes a 39" paddle, or it hooks way better and don't have to work the crap out of there truck to get any place in the dunes. What do I know paddle companies just selling use a bunch of crap lol.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Heres what I know.. I don't blow belts, and no one tells me I am slow... Thats all I care about. I don't care what anyone else runs.. Robby & BJ have their Toyo's "vulcanized" (I think thats the term) to turn their existing 39" tires into paddles. Essentially shaving and then placing paddles on to the tire. Of course I know why people run paddles, I JUST DONT THINK ITS ALL THAT NECESSARY AND MAKES THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE FOR 4WD UTVS. That's my opinion. Of course with 2wd, high HP vehicles its a NO BRAINER! Even high HP 4WD vehicles, NO BRAINER. But for a stock 4wd UTV, I think Paddles are more a waste of money than anything. But again, thats just my opinion and I have been waiting for years for some paddle tire brand to change my opinion.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Heres what I know.. I don't blow belts, and no one tells me I am slow... Thats all I care about. I don't care what anyone else runs.. Robby & BJ have their Toyo's "vulcanized" (I think thats the term) to turn their existing 39" tires into paddles. Essentially shaving and then placing paddles on to the tire. Of course I know why people run paddles, I JUST DONT THINK ITS ALL THAT NECESSARY AND MAKES THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE FOR 4WD UTVS. That's my opinion. Of course with 2wd, high HP vehicles its a NO BRAINER! Even high HP 4WD vehicles, NO BRAINER. But for a stock 4wd UTV, I think Paddles are more a waste of money than anything. But again, thats just my opinion and I have been waiting for years for some paddle tire brand to change my opinion.
That's called Skat trak anybody can send tires have buffed then have any size paddle vulcanized no brainer. Maybe you should take Orange 4 seat maverick out with your family in it without paddles, then same orange 4 seat maverick with family in it of with paddles see the difference. I bet you everyone in maverick riding with you will take the ride with the paddles. What do I know my wife and son are my restictor plate. If you need paddles just ask warlock he will provide you with a set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000