RZR vs MAVERICK vs YXZ - Who wins?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
That's called Skat trak anybody can send tires have buffed then have any size paddle vulcanized no brainer. Maybe you should take Orange 4 seat maverick out with your family in it without paddles, then same orange 4 seat maverick with family in it of with paddles see the difference. I bet you everyone in maverick riding with you will take the ride with the paddles. What do I know my wife and son are my restictor plate. If you need paddles just ask warlock he will provide you with a set.
Why would I do that? I have machines perfect for duning. That maverick is heavy as hell and not made for dunes. So sure maybe some paddles would help it but so would shaving 300 lbs off of it.

With that said I ran king ranch in the dunes last season with Mongrels and it worked bad ass. I was surprised that they worked as well as they did and guess what, no blown belts.

I'm saying, I'm sure paddles help but I have had experience where the added traction created more strain on my clutch. It made them hot way more and I had to adjust my clutch to compensate for the added traction. I prefer to have a little less traction, keep the revs high and just stay on top of the sand and not stressing my belt. But again, that's what I like. Not saying paddles don't work just in what I like I think it's overrated. Again, I would love to be proven wrong.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
You know what was cool as hell, when Robby Gordon qualified the Parker 400 in his Trophy Truck on a set of Skat-Trak built tires it was impressive.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Concept of having some tire slip on the rocks is also true I believe. You don't want an aggressive tire to hook up under aggressive power.....that's when things break. Whats great about an underpowered UTV, oh say, like my T4, I don't have to worry about overpowering my drivetrain under load. Having mildly aggressive Ultracross tires is a nice balance of spin and traction. Or, should I be trying STU's on the rocks.....man, I'm cornfused now....

Reactions: sand shark

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Am I the only one that thought the guy driving the Yamaha didn't know how to launch with a clutch? Not that it would make a huge difference once on the hill but it can make a difference on what gear you hit the steep part of the hill in.

Reactions: crazywatson

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
I read some berts guys say something about not hitting the shift points just right and falling off the power band on Olds.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I hear Bob from factory utv said just follow the shift light and it climbs great. As for the launch that's easy put it to the floor and when it hits the Rev limiter dump the clutch. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I hear Bob from factory utv said just follow the shift light and it climbs great. As for the launch that's easy put it to the floor and when it hits the Rev limiter dump the clutch. Lol

Do you side step the clutch or just let off of it as fast as you can? Do you slip it a little first? Is 1st gear the best gear to start in? There are a lot of options depending on the machine.

Last edited:

crazywatson

Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I'd say running knobbies just dump it. They could have experimented though. Dumping it off the Rev limiter is consistent though imo.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I'd say running knobbies just dump it. They could have experimented though. Dumping it off the Rev limiter is consistent though imo.

Have you ever raced the hill on a performance quad? Having a manual clutch and trans is like having every weight,spring, and helix of a cvt at your disposal. This is a drivers machine and isnt just dump the clutch and look for the shift light.

crazywatson

Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
No i never really liked quads I rode a motorcycle most of my life. Never raced it on a hill but launched it like that quite a few times.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
No i never really liked quads I rode a motorcycle most of my life. Never raced it on a hill but launched it like that quite a few times.

What kind of bike? What gear? I usually lanched my Banshee in 3rd on Olds but sometimes 2nd. My YZ's usually 2nd when racing mx. 1st gear would usually just stand straight up and you have to let off. I haven't driven the YXZ so I dont know if it would even pull second, I am guessing it wouldnt if I just dumped the clutch but if I could slip it a little and take off in 2nd it would be faster.

crazywatson

Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I rode a bunch of different bikes. I owned a 450 that use to like to stand up. Mostly 2 strokes riding the hills in East County in SD. I'm a big guy so leaning all the way forward the tire would spin. I was high the whole time. Lol I got out of riding for awhile got my shit together then got a RZR.

Reactions: Rynomx785

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i like big horns. i turn them backwards and they pull better, you know put the left side tires on the right side of the machine. makes them pull better and they dig out in reverse awesome.. o_O

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Put smoothies in the rear o_O
I've done it. I Duned my Maverick Max with my kids with Smooth buff Skat-Trak front tires allnthe way around on all 4 tires and it was actually ok.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

Reactions: ROTAX

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000