All UTV's Score Class 19 Pro UTV

rdhays2000

Oct 9, 2014
I'm thinking of getting into Score/BITD Desert Racing and Ive been seeing pictures off UTV's that some of the teams have built up. So I was wondering if they stripped a stock UTV down to the the running gear and the base chassis then custom built a Roll Cage basically from the ground up. And if that's what they did what exactly was the process of doing it. Any info and help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Richard

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
cognito has some threads in here that show how they have gone above and beyond . their builds are simply amazing works of art.and yes ,pretty much a ground up build.im getting towards the end (finally) of my build and all I can say is it is VERY VERY costly to do. good luck to ya .Hope your budget is higher then mine LOL,all said and done ,I will be at about 36 grand.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Frame up builds are lofty projects to embark on. Unless you:

-have the experience to be hands on (stripping your own frame, through the removal of components and cutting off any/all unwanted metals), then assembling and final race preparation of the car

-an open checkbook to fund it (as said here 30-50k),

-have the background to be a serious contender, and a buddy in the business who is willing to let you help with the project,

-or If you are the "keep up with the Joneses" type,

I highly recommend you avoid it. I had a couple of guys bring me a near new trucks (way long ago) to transform into a ground up pre-runner build. After stripping all of the wiring, interior comforts, front and rear clips, and stock suspension, they realized the scope of the work they requested was a bit large. They weren't sure in the beginning the difference between what they wanted, and what they needed. In the end, both wished they would have scaled it back a notch or two, and just bolted onto an already capable platform, the necessary performance mods to achieve the desired end result.

The biggest benefit to ground up builds, is that you can ultimately save a few hundred pounds (which could cost you 20 bucks a pound to shed). You can still succeed in winning without going that far if you invest in your suspension, and high end components. Throw a crappy set of shocks on our car, or any lead contenders car, and suddenly victories are no more.

Ground up builds are for two groups of enthusiasts: The serious racer who will be able to exploit the lighter chassis, and the guy willing to pay interest to have what the other racers have. If you can fund it, AND feel good about it in the end, when it becomes a money pit, then by all means, jump on in!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000