SDR1 Build: Stage I

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I lengthened the most passenger side tube by 1/4"-3/8". I couldn't quite get it to line up, as the collector was hitting the motor mount. It was an easy mod.
So the weller sr1 kit caused you that problem? would a guy doing his own motor mounts see that issue?

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
So the weller sr1 kit caused you that problem? would a guy doing his own motor mounts see that issue?
I could have modified the mount instead, it was just easier to do the header. You couldn't use this header with the standard weller motor mounts, as the shifter tower would interfear. I cut it off, as I had other plans for the shifter. The headers are for a mini sprint, so I was lucky to get away with minimal modifications.

If I were to do it again, I would probably use the Weller header. But now I have my clutch slave cylinder there, so I can't.

If you are doing your own mounts, and can work around the header, youd be fine. But if you have a really low seat, this header my be too close for "comfort"..... Is it getting hot in here?? :)

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
FYI on S&S Headers.

Dear S&S Headers, Inc., Customers and Vendors:

This is one of the most difficult letters I have ever had to write. Due to the ongoing poor economic conditions and continued shortfall of revenue, it looks like we are becoming yet another casualty of this recession/depression. Our building owners worked with us as long as they could but unfortunately have now chosen to pull the plug. They have exercised their right to change the locks and demand all past due rent in full, which we are unable to provide at the present time. Therefore, it is with great disappointment and regret that we announce that our business is currently closed.

We are trying to legally regain control of our physical property so that we may satisfy work-in-process orders and return property that belongs to our customers. I will keep you informed of our progress.

Thank you so very much for your continued support and the many years we have worked together. It has been a 41-year journey for S&S, and we deeply appreciate all of our customers and vendors and wish you continued success.

Sincerely,

Betty McCalla

S&S Headers, Inc.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Our kit was made knowing that most people would be building/purchasing custom headers. If you are doing your own motor mounts and want to use the stock headers, I am sure you could mount your motor wherever you need to in order to clearance the stockers (especially if you aren't racing the SR1 class). We make all of our own headers in house, so we can route them wherever.......

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
FYI on S&S Headers.
Oh damm......I have heard good things about the S&S stuff....aren't they big with the roundy-round guys?? This economy needs to pick up - sick of seeing our industry taking all these hits.....

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Our kit was made knowing that most people would be building/purchasing custom headers. If you are doing your own motor mounts and want to use the stock headers, I am sure you could mount your motor wherever you need to in order to clearance the stockers (especially if you aren't racing the SR1 class). We make all of our own headers in house, so we can route them wherever.......
I was just trying to understand why he had to rework the header...Tryin to decide weather I want to build one or buy one already built....I seen that you guys do you own. I made it home with the twins tonight....its ON!!!!!!

Wild Earp

After finding out the Milestone demo race next weekend was cancelled, I decided to pull the motor and rear carrier to do some finish welding and drop it off at SDR for some chassis changes. I've gotten pulling the motor down to a science already, which is nice to know for the future. Also finished up my clutch lines, throttle pedal and cabling, and a few other little things. I'm also going to try and get by iTi performance to get a set of front and rear sway bars made up this week. A lot of little things left to do, but hopefully by next week, this thing will be ready to race!

Wild Earp

Update: the car has been at SDR Mototrsports for a few weeks. They welded in the new required x bracing above the driver, along with some more gussets. Fabbed up mud flap mounts. Installed a tilt steering column, Unisteer power steering and a ProLite steering quickener.

Today, the man in brown delivered the remaining pieces of my SR1 setup, a sick set of Weller centerboard hubs, and axles! Barely took them out of the box, and ran them over to SDR for installation. Should have a runner early next week, and be ready for testing by the weekend.

Still need to do some wiring, some aluminum work, and put a sway bar on.

I'll try and snap some pics next week, and of course some video at the track!

Wild Earp

Oh, and by the way, the new Weller centerboard hubs are SICK. Very nice piece of equipment, especially for the price they are selling them for. There are some pics on Wellers site, and I'll shoot some more once they are mounted up.

Wild Earp

Yep, SDR is really stepping up this year, and is going to take this car to the next level, so we can be really competitive in the SR1 class. I'm definetaly looking forward to an awesome year of racing thanks to SDRs support, and Weller for coming up with such a great class.

Wild Earp

My rear suspension droops a lot more than the standard SDR setup, and these hubs took all the angle and more without binding. I do need to check them to make sure they are within the max recommended angles.

After this race we will be going to a longer rear shock, and maxing out these hubs for sure!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000