SIMS Podiums at Silver State 300.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
May

ISSUE
NO. 09

SIMS MOTORSPORTS CONTINUES TO IMPRESS IN ROOKIE SEASON

1913 SIMS Polaris RZR XP1000 squats hard off the line.

Las Vegas, NV

Racing and competing at a pro level is not all fun, the work required to pull this off can wear on a person. SIMS Motorsports left Prescott AZ headed for Vegas early Friday morning. The plan was to get tech out of the way early and get some rest before waking up at 4:00am to stage. After passing tech without any issues, it was time for interviews, race logistics and walking contingency to thank sponsors. Before you know its time for the drivers meeting.

Dreading the 2 hour drive from the hotel to the start in the morning SIMS Motorsports ditched their cozy hotel room and traded it for a 5th wheel at the start. The idea was to get a few extra hours of sleep before the race. Some freinds made room for them and everyone called it night around 11:00pm. (5 hours before race day).

SIMS setting up for a turn after a long straight away.

5 hours of sleep, sun not scheduled to rise for 2 more hours the team headed to start their day. Branden was the 10th Pro UTV off the line. Bikes and Quads leave before the UTV's. You could see the dust building in the valleys as each UTV before SIMS left the line. The mix of no wind, the sun cresting the mountains and heavy, heavy dust made visibility zero. Instead of pushing his luck and crashing early Sims played it smart and let the race play out until conditions improved.

Running in clean air early in the race.

Not long into the race Sims realized his clutch was not performing. The car would not climb over 6200 rpm and 65mph. It felt like a diesel truck without a turbo. Once the race course got into the trees the conditions improved and Sims was able to pick up some spots. At Pit 3 he was 5th physically and only needed fuel. Leaving pit 3 they could see the Helicopter in the distance. Sims told his co-driver "the leaders are not far ahead." Sims turned up the heat an passed a few more cars.

1913 tearing through PANACA, NV founded in 1864.

FOX shocks keep the car level during sweeping turns.

Passing UTV Inc in a wash and quickly catching the 1919 car of Jagged X, Sims was physically in the lead. He pushed hard to hold the lead into Pit 6. Pulling out of Pit 6 and the last scheduled pit of the day his confidence was high. 10 miles out of Pit 6 Sims blew a wheel. Sitting on the side of the course working while Coastal, Cognito and Jagged flew by him. Knowing he was racing the clock and was still good on time Sims hammered down. Going from running in clean air to chasing in the dust sucks, but he kept the leaders in sight and tried not to let them run away. SIMS Motorsports ended the day in 3rd place. 2 Best In The Desert races under his belt and two 3rd place finishes. 2014 is looking bright for Sims.

Without great support none of this would be possible.

Northern Arizona Auto & Off Road.
Lonestar Racing for the suspension products that put us up front.
Fox Shocks for the amazing ride and control.
ITP Tires and Wheels for getting me the 300 miles with no tire failures.
Factory Utv for the protection to keep my car looking new.
Rugged Radios for keeping us connected with our chase team.
Rigid Lights for an amazing product.
UTVUNDERGROUND/Mad Media/Rusty and the rest of the crew for the media to make the UTV class the fastest growing class with the most entries!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Awesome summation Rusty, and glad you could salvage a podium after the wheel trouble, Branden. The last section of the race must have come with much emotion. I know that your win is just around the corner. It has been blatantly obvious to me since seeing you and your car manipulate the deep rollers in the Mint 400 video from Mad Media and Schlomaris. This is somewhat discerning for me to acknowledge, since it is the Baja that lies around the next corner, and your package is definitely capable of.................nah, it aint gonna happen :D!!

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
Awesome summation Rusty, and glad you could salvage a podium after the wheel trouble, Branden. The last section of the race must have come with much emotion. I know that your win is just around the corner. It has been blatantly obvious to me since seeing you and your car manipulate the deep rollers in the Mint 400 video from Mad Media and Schlomaris. This is somewhat discerning for me to acknowledge, since it is the Baja that lies around the next corner, and your package is definitely capable of.................nah, it aint gonna happen :D!!
It was almost the exact same scenario as the Mint, out front, feeling awesome, and then boom shredded rim. Having my heart broke by a girl hasn't compared to those feelings lol. Hahaha and thank you for the compliment followed by the kick in the balls, ill take what I can from you though. Ahhh the Baja, well its not a for sure for me yet, idk if I can rally enough $$$, crew, and whatever else I need. It may have to wait till next year :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000