SR1 Comments and Concerns

Ballistic

Feb 10, 2009
Phoenix
Congratulations Cory, great job in the race and on the success of the Inaugural SR1 race. ;)

Question for you and any other SR1 driver that would care to answer....

What gear were you mostly in on the track....straight, corners, etc...? Do you start in 1st or 2nd?

rbr

Ryan Beat Monster Energy/Kawasaki & Osborn Racing
Mar 8, 2010
Southern California
First off congrats Corry. I am new to the sr1 but have been around all sorts of racing my whole life... I have recently been looking at buyin my own car anything from a unlimited buggy to a superlite...I am really impressed by the sr1 class and what it could be....When i have guys like kyle Leduc tellin me i should build one that he is almost finished with his and that they r a blast. That says something right there comin from a guy who kills it in a 800 hp full size truck.... Driving something with that horsepower to weight ratio is always fun.... but is also a science of getting driver and car set up just right. THAt IS RACING..I think what alot of ppl arent looking at in moderation to the class being around bc Rj won..... is that Rj straight rips. He is a good driver and when u put a good driver in good equipment they will do good. Given the sr1 has more power every single r1 driver made huge mistakes while racing this weekend. Not one of them drove a near perfect race.. Rj drove a flawless race and by no means is his car slow. So just bc a really moded original motor won this week shouldnt be a judge of how the class will be all the time. (also keep in mind the sr1 is a little more chalenging to drive bc the shifting. you cant just leg it wide open around the track and not half to worry about shifting. utv motors are automatic) This class could be a great stepping stone to the higher up clases with learing the basics to racing and shifting a car at race speed. And the greatest thing is street bike motors last forever and you dont have to spend all kinds of money to mod them to make them fast or keep them fresh. I know after this weekend of watching the class and talking with a few ppl i am building a sr1 for sure and have already begun. I hope many will fallow.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Congratulations Cory, great job in the race and on the success of the Inaugural SR1 race. ;)

Question for you and any other SR1 driver that would care to answer....

What gear were you mostly in on the track....straight, corners, etc...? Do you start in 1st or 2nd?
Gearing will be a little bit of driver's choice out there, depending on your sprocket sizes and the track you are racing on. I personally was in 2nd most of the time, and threw it into first just before the corners, so I could power around them. I could hit third on that track in only one place, and it was almost a waste of time. At Speedworld, I am in third more - the big sweeper is fun as hell!

I always start in 1st gear.....

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
First off congrats Corry. I am new to the sr1 but have been around all sorts of racing my whole life... I have recently been looking at buyin my own car anything from a unlimited buggy to a superlite...I am really impressed by the sr1 class and what it could be....When i have guys like kyle Leduc tellin me i should build one that he is almost finished with his and that they r a blast. That says something right there comin from a guy who kills it in a 800 hp full size truck.... Driving something with that horsepower to weight ratio is always fun.... but is also a science of getting driver and car set up just right. THAt IS RACING..I think what alot of ppl arent looking at in moderation to the class being around bc Rj won..... is that Rj straight rips. He is a good driver and when u put a good driver in good equipment they will do good. Given the sr1 has more power every single r1 driver made huge mistakes while racing this weekend. Not one of them drove a near perfect race.. Rj drove a flawless race and by no means is his car slow. So just bc a really moded original motor won this week shouldnt be a judge of how the class will be all the time. (also keep in mind the sr1 is a little more chalenging to drive bc the shifting. you cant just leg it wide open around the track and not half to worry about shifting. utv motors are automatic) This class could be a great stepping stone to the higher up clases with learing the basics to racing and shifting a car at race speed. And the greatest thing is street bike motors last forever and you dont have to spend all kinds of money to mod them to make them fast or keep them fresh. I know after this weekend of watching the class and talking with a few ppl i am building a sr1 for sure and have already begun. I hope many will fallow.
Thanks so much Ryan!! I think you nailed it on all accounts.....we all have to get OUT of the cvt/4-wheel drive mentallity and start driving these things like they CAN be driven! Because Kyle's gonna come in and put on a clinic shortly, and we will all be wondering how he lapped us so fast!

It will be awesome to see your build - I'm sure it's going to be bad a$$!!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I hope they (r1's) do last all season for the racers, otherwise it is gonna get expensive real fast.

RZRS EDGE RACING

Sharp As A RZR - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 23, 2009
Arizona
Whatever happened to the rule from the first race last year when you had to have 2 seats in the UTV to keep it looking like a UTV. Is that rule no longer a issue ? :confused:

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
The motors are cheap. You can buy motors on EBAY... When was the last time you saw a Weller Built 800cc Teryx motor for under $2000 with 150hp +????

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
I don't think the two seat rule is in place anymore for the LOORRS series......I personally keep mine a two-seater for the dunes and stuff, though. Although I take my seat out sometimes to save weight.

Again, I think that a used, stock R1 motor is FAR less expensive than a built race Rhino motor. I have been finding my motors for around $600 and $700. That's HALF of what a race clutch alone would cost. I even have a spare. That has NEVER been possible for me before. They are holding up just fine, btw.......everyone is stoked!

rbr

Ryan Beat Monster Energy/Kawasaki & Osborn Racing
Mar 8, 2010
Southern California
ya it sux racing is expensive, but yet again its what we choose to do haha. Sorta self inflicted.. It cant be any worse than built utv motors you know ... at least with these they are wicked fast stock and have rules limiting what you can do to the motors to keep it cheap unlike unlimited utv.. The good thing is if it brings big names to these cars by running these motors, it would help get more sponsors looking that way which i know all the utv world wants.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
You could go through 5 R1 motors a season and still not equal the cost of building ONE proper 800cc unlimited motor.. I spent probably $4500-5000 on my 686, and I was mid pack at best. I was so afraid it was going to blow up, that I didnt really have any fun racing, because I knew if it did, I wouldnt be able to race anymore for 6-8 months +.

The motor is stock. Yes, its pulling more weight around, but its not a tweaked out race motor, its stock. They will last all season, IMO. And worse case, the tranny will break and youll pop a whole new motor in for $800-1000, and finish the season (as long as somebody doesnt stiff you with a crap motor on the used market that is...)

side x side tv

Banned Por Vida
Aug 5, 2009
MAybe by next year we will have a new class or some thing that will have all utv's that's why I want to do a motorswap so I can race with out braking the bank and I am not a hater just want I hope to see so the sport can grow

OLET

Grabbin' Gears - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 9, 2009
You gotta have 1 of each! If you dont you will regret it! Trust me ive been there!:D

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Whatever happened to the rule from the first race last year when you had to have 2 seats in the UTV to keep it looking like a UTV. Is that rule no longer a issue ? :confused:
some showed up at Loorrs last year without a second seat, and it was accepted, so the two seat rule kind of faded, I think it is BS, they are SxS's and should have two seats, maybe not the Sr1's, but all others should have them IMO.

What up RUSTY I think the motor cost and holding up with all the weight it will be pushing, tires, etc. ;) just my 2cents

I agree.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
I kind of agree with the two seat rule myself....they ARE side x sides. We were going to have that rule for the SR1's, too - but wanted to keep things pretty much the same as LOORRS, etc......I think we all have our second seats still, though.

Ballistic

Feb 10, 2009
Phoenix
some showed up at Loorrs last year without a second seat, and it was accepted, so the two seat rule kind of faded, I think it is BS, they are SxS's and should have two seats, maybe not the Sr1's, but all others should have them IMO.

I agree.
I think at this point it should be left up to the builder/owner. The cars that have the engine and passenger side completely covered look bad a$$ and is probably a little safer......RJ Anderson and Chad George's cars come to mind.

And for that "but it's a SxS" argument.......these are short course race cars. Should all the Pro truck classes have to 2 seats because they are originally designed and sold that way.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
The Superlites have two seats.....

Nothing safer about having just one seat, really. I agree it should just be personal choice. It does look pretty BA with a cover, though - we might do that with my car, but leave the seat mounts and everything - that way when I race, I can run the cover (just looks clean), and when I want to pop a passenger in there, just take the cover off! :)

OLET

Grabbin' Gears - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 9, 2009
The Superlites have two seats.....

Nothing safer about having just one seat, really. I agree it should just be personal choice. It does look pretty BA with a cover, though - we might do that with my car, but leave the seat mounts and everything - that way when I race, I can run the cover (just looks clean), and when I want to pop a passenger in there, just take the cover off! :)
I like not having the second seat so we have more room to mount things such as coolers , batteries , i dont see why anyone would inforce the second seat , i agree it should be a personal choice.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
If you are required to have a second seat, it should be a fully operational racing seat, that matches the drivers seat. I think its funny to require a second seat, just for it to be a superlight unusable seat, and or covered up with aluminum.

I ran my passenger seat at the Elsinore round last year, and was surprised not to see many other passenger seats. Im fine either way, as long as its enforced. I personally would like to run it without, as my car is pig heavy, and my seat with mounts weights like 30 lbs! :)

Its not like they would ever let us race with a passenger. They were going to do that with the superlites, and someone got hurt the first race, so no passengers...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000