SR1 dies when i give it gas

jakecarver91

Nov 11, 2009
On saturday night at speedworld my car randomly died towards the end of the main. It will start and idle fine but when i hit the throttle it dies. I can sometimes get it to drive. It seems like it is running out of fuel. My regulator gauge shows adequate pressure and i checked the filter and it is not clogged. The pump is still pumping great also. Any ideas? Oh it is also not throwing any error codes other than the exup valve... and its an 08

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Yep, I would say check the TPS and the tip over sensor......or call Jason, and see what he thinks?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
my tipover sensor was a pita to get just right. but never had your issue. a service manual is worth is money in gold if you ask me. paid $75 for a real hard copy from an online book store. it has a nice fold out wiring diagram and diagnostic for all of the sensors.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I dont think its the tip over sensor, as it shouldnt run at all if it was tripped.

Fuel pump may be going bad, giving enough pressure to idle, but nothing above that. (not enough flow or something)

Clogged air filter? Fouled plugs? check the easy stuff first...

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
my tipover sensor was a pita to get just right. but never had your issue. a service manual is worth is money in gold if you ask me. paid $75 for a real hard copy from an online book store. it has a nice fold out wiring diagram and diagnostic for all of the sensors.
You can find the R1 manual on line for free if you know where to look....in my post.

:D

Last edited:

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
If the tip over sensor was working fine but not facing the right direction (attached properly), it could die sporadically. It wouldn't have anything to do with fuel, but would have to do with how the car leans upon acceleration/turning......

LOL at Doug's subtle hints......! (I found it!)

jakecarver91

Nov 11, 2009
well the fuel pump seems to be working fine. My fuel pressure gauge is right at 43 psi stable(which peter d recommended). I took the regulator off and it doesnt seem clogged or anything. I also checked the filter and it seems fine. The tip over sensor is in the same position it has always worked just fine in. I thought if the tip over sensor is tripped it kills the fuel pump? The fuel pump stays running so i dont think it is that. I took the line off of the fuel rail and put it into a can and it seems to have great pressure. not codes are being thrown on the gauges either. except exup valve

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
If the tip over sensor was working fine but not facing the right direction (attached properly), it could die sporadically. It wouldn't have anything to do with fuel, but would have to do with how the car leans upon acceleration/turning......

LOL at Doug's subtle hints......! (I found it!)
Agreed. I was under the impression he was just attempting to rev it in neutral.

I still think the TPS is giving you a bad signal. Letting in more air but not telling the injectors to give more fuel. I would check them to make sure they are giving the correct numbers at closed throttle and WOT. I believe you can do this with the stock dash in diagnostics mode.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I assume these use a MAP sensor,make sure the vacuum line is hooked up.

jakecarver91

Nov 11, 2009
thanks everyone!! i think i figured it out. i think the exhaust melted some wires. i re did some wiring and it seems to work down the street so we will see!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000