Start draw Thursday for 49th annual SCORE Baja 1000

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Legacy, rather than being a constant Doom and Gloom Debbie Downer, how about you clearly state what specific things you want to see happen regarding safety and desert racing in general? It would go a long way to clear up what your agenda is here.

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
Wow again Legacy becomes the thread. Anyway, do we know what they are going to do with RG's new frankenstein. Will it be in PRO NA? Yamaha NA motor in an Arctic Cat that is not available to the public? Is that what I am hearing? Does anyone actually know? Cool that RG is going to race in UTV, that can only bring good things.

Oh and Wayne, I protested you. I do it every race, just to mess with you. The protest always says the same thing, "He has to be cheating..!"... :)

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
I wouldn't plan on anything production until 2017. Not sure what RG and crew are doing it sounded to me like this was their own thing and read into the gray areas of the rules.

What i was thinking was it says OEM forced induction motor 1000cc max , technically there are 1000 cc snowmobile motors that are arctic cat OEM and they could use a OEM RG edition wildcat and mount the motor in there and still be "oem"

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i am not against it one bit i am curious and anxious to see what RG and crew come up with BUT if he does show up with a frankenstein machine its going to cause a stink in the 2900 class and a lotta clammer and protesting i am sure.

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
i am not against it one bit i am curious and anxious to see what RG and crew come up with BUT if he does show up with a frankenstein machine its going to cause a stink in the 2900 class and a lotta clammer and protesting i am sure.
I agree fully, the problem is the rules are too vague and need to be clean cut that it should be a OEM production FI utv engine. Gray areas always cause problems in the end. We ran into this at TORC last year and it caused alot of heart burn for some.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
If thats thier plan they are completely with in the rules as they are written if im comprehending what I am reading. . No where does it say number matching anything . Only alludes to same manufacturer. Id bet for sure they let Score know what they were planning and got the go ahead before hand to avoid trouble....... So fortune, if you were forced to make a wild guess , what would you say they were bringing ? Maybe an RG car with that 1100 cc Turbo motor out thier snow cross line up ? De tuned of course. That motor Ive read is the most powerfull motor out right now in a sled ? Or just a plain old RG edition car ? No turbo.

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I dont think RG is bringing a "Frankenstein" UTV to the 1000. Robby has a big money development program with Arctic Cat. His Robby Gordon Motorsports program is not bringing 3 new machines to the Baja 1000 for fun. This would be a business deal and his contract, just as it was when he was with Polaris, is he will be in a Arctic Cat UTV, not some one off build. Bringing some home made Frankenstein out for a 1 time race is not what RG does nor what Arctic Cat would want. Plus adding this to his program thins the focus on his TT program which is also part of his business program. What Robby did with Max at the Bluewater was for fun, but for Robby it is also a long term future business plan, as Max will be the heir to the Gordon Racing legacy.

I dont know for sure, and or what I do know I could not say anyways. But I would expect to see the next model of the Arctic Cat line up being brought to the races. The rules do say this must be a production model available to the public. Is Arctic Car getting a 1 race waver, before the big announcement of the new 2017 model? Maybe, who knows? But the Robby I know would not put his own money and time into a Frankenstein machine, or 3, if their was nothing more behind it.

Now for the rumors of the Arctic Cat UTV with a Yamaha engine (AKA a Frankenstein) Maybe most dont know this, but for those who do, lets look at the relationship both companies have. Arctic Cat used to have a relationship with Suzuki for their engines. A few years ago that went away and Arctic Cat and Yamaha came together to partner on the Snow Mobile side of the business, and this venture has been very good for both companies. Yamaha supplies the engines, and Arctic Cat designs the sleds, and each put their own body work and touches on the machines. Both the Yamaha and Arctic Cat sleds are built in Arctic Cats MN factories, again a big plus for Yamaha. The Yamaha YXZ1000 engine is actually a 3 cylinder 998 cc turbo motor (Genesis) Yamaha built for their partnership with Arctic Cat and is in many of their sleds. Yamaha decided that engine would also work in their UTV (under 1000cc's) and they pulled the Turbo off of it for the first gen YXZ1000 UTV. So with knowing this, it only makes sense that Arctic Cat would again partner with Yamaha on the UTV side of things. Its way more cost efficient for both sides to do so. The engine is not only proven in the snow sled side of things, but Yamaha has proven it to be a good platform for the UTV side of the business, and they have made a proven 5 speed trans for it also. Again another huge plus for both sides in regards to engineering & production costs.

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
I couldn't tell you for sure what they're bringing. Robby, Todd , and Sheldon have been playing with Pace conversion cars for the past year. All you'd have to do to the 1056 zuke would be to change the rod location to de-stroke it.

When discussing 2017 We were told we won't see a new car until after the first of the year and when we mentioned the 2900 class at Baja It was said it wasn't a factory effort. That could be truth , it could be someone saying it to keep things under wraps for another week or two. The folks that Squashed the factory effort rumor were people that work for AC.

Robby even mentioned they would come with the big guns in January after the BITD race Max did. Idk , I hope whatever they do is a home run but negative publicity due to rule reading on something could be worse then showing up with a slower car.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
My guess is they will be showing up with three RG edition fully built 4 seaters. NA cars for the turbo class. Those cars have plenty of hp for a long race like the 1k. And with the suspension package they had to start with id say they will be in really good shape to make a run at it.

Last edited:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
The cars he is bringing is the new model that Robby built with artic cat....its an all new car. I was told they are turbo cars. I'd assume artic cat will have to drop it as a new model for it to be legal to race at BAJA1000

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Crazy that absolutely no one is talking about Hondas sport UTV unveil this week. It's all about a car that Arctic Cat has really never came out and verified that they are going to offer to the public. Is it not all that sporty maybe ? Ive owned lots of Hondas from the 250r, CRs , generators and all the way to a lawn mower. Every one of them has ran like a top without a lick of trouble.

Last edited:

kmb760

Mar 28, 2013
Crazy that absolutely no one is talking about Hondas sport UTV unveil this week. It's all about a car that Arctic Cat has really never came out and verified that they are going to offer to the public. Is it not all that sporty maybe ? Ive owned lots of Hondas from the 250r, CRs , generators and all the way to a lawn mower. Every one of them has ran like a top without a lick of trouble.
Maybe I'm sub-par on my Google searching skills, but nothing a quick search brought up anything about a true sport Honda SxS. Care to elaborate

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Maybe I'm sub-par on my Google searching skills, but nothing a quick search brought up anything about a true sport Honda SxS. Care to elaborate
Utv Driver Magazine had a short article yesterday afternoon from Sema. Im skeptical now since this is the only place ive seen any information. The motor package mentioned is reportedly the CRF1000L. The same motor package out of the African Twin. Which would be so bad ass. Almost to good to be true really.

Last edited:

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
Utv Driver Magazine had a short article yesterday afternoon from Sema. Im skeptical now since this is the only place ive seen any information. The motor package mentioned is reportedly the CRF1000L. The same motor package out of the African Twin. Which would be so bad ass. Almost to good to be true really.
That article was also from Febuary of 2016. They had a post on FB saying they were expecting big news at SEMA about it but its yet to be seen.

its their anniversary year so If they were to do it I'd suspect it would be this year but they're so far behind the curve in their ATV/UTV programs its sad.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
That article was also from Febuary of 2016. They had a post on FB saying they were expecting big news at SEMA about it but its yet to be seen.

its their anniversary year so If they were to do it I'd suspect it would be this year but they're so far behind the curve in their ATV/UTV programs its sad.
Well that sucks. You would think that if they were wrong last year they wouldn't want to repeat failure . I want it to be so true . Especially with the mentioned motor package.

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
While the africa twin is a very potent motor package its not designed for a 1500lb utv. castings, gears, gear ratios etc, are all too light weight for a utv.

Imo (which means nothing) it should always be a motor then either a divorced cvt or a divorced geared transmission like Yamaha did.

rocnrob

Feb 1, 2015
Don't you think it's kinda hard to drive a TT and a utv at the same race. Robby qualified 3 yesterday in a TT. he is listed as a driver for the creed car, but you think he is going to get out of a TT to driver a utv. he might help creed at the of the of his race, if that car makes it. and by the way don't see any honda's listed

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
That was my guess. If they are still going Robbie takes the last 200ish miles of their UTV effort. Pretty good marketing strategy strategy to show Robbie Gorden crossing the finish line in front of all the cameras at the Baja 1000.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000