STOCK Polaris Xp Class @ The Lucas Oil Regional Series??? Need your input

Dirty

DIRTY iPhone Photog / Lucas Oil - UTVUnderground A
Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
We are coming close to the one year mark of launching this thread and things are coming together nicely. 2013 will see major UTV growth in the Lucas Oil Regional Series!

Dirty

Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
I this class ever going back to the national series?
I think it's way to much money to race the National series as JoeyD and DNF736 explains earlier in a post.

***** But the key to getting good turnouts in UTV racing are low entry fees, affordable to get your team, family, etc in to the event and keeping the cars as close to stock as possible. ***** JoeyD

The Pro UTVs were not there to race SR1s. They were there to race other factory styled UTVs. SR1s did not need to be limited, for what? Those tracks are made for major HP to make them exciting. The Pro UTV class with the help of LOORRS killed themselves by racing themselves out of a class. The trend was already set before the SR1s came along, if you didn't have a $10k-$15k motor program then don't bother showing up unless you were content with running around the pack hoping the other guys would break. The guys who were committed to the Pro UTV class were committed to doing whatever it took to make more power to go faster. That race for the top ended up becoming the death of the class due to cost.

SR1s came on the scene with the intent of building a machine that was affordable to build and maintain. While some lost motors I know many who raced on the same engine many many times. This was not possible with a high string V Twin. RJ was able to keep his Kroyer XP engine alive but he was the only one competing in a XP in the class. I believe the reason he was the only one was 1. It was a new machine an 2. It was jut too damn expensive to build a LOORRS car and compete in it. The building of the machine wasn't the problem, the rules were very detailed and maybe over done for a UTV but it was the cost of racing for a whole season at the big show that scared people away. Let Rahders, VanBeekum, George's, etc explain what it cost to get their team into the pits, fuel, food, repairs, etc etc. that's why killed this class. UTVs are affordable to buy and when you apply rules an formatting like WORCS and what the regional is trying to do you have success with UTV racing and car turnout.

My point for this is that cage design, tube diameter, ECU regulating, etc really have nothing to do with car count. Fuel cells do in my opinion because once you require aftermarket fuel cells you have to change a ton.

***** But the key to getting good turnouts in UTV racing are low entry fees, affordable to get your team, family, etc in to the event and keeping the cars as close to stock as possible. *****

One day we can hope that LOORRS will bring us back, but That's only going to happen if we build car counts back up.

From a Former National Level Utv racer.
Everything Joey said is pretty much right on except for the price of a LOORRS UTV racing engine. $15k might cover what was in our Rhino 760 in 09 but for a competitive v-twin you could easily double that and then some and that would be enough for a mid pack effort.

What killed short course UTV racing? The UTV did. The SR1 almost kept it alive as it was cheaper to convert from UTV to SR1 (about $5000) than it was to rebuild a short course UTV engine but, in the end not enough racers stepped up, Tony made a judgement call, and it all faded back to the Regional’s.

Some data to chew on, this is minimum what it cost to race your first UTV at LOORRS, I know I missed something;
Entry $300
License, annual $590
Mechanic, annual $470
Crew, annual $320
Race gas $65
Diesel $250
$1995.00 your first time out.
$615 each round after that not including below
Your race car, tires, other wear items and consumables, spares, crash/race damage, time off, sleeping arrangements(motorhome/toybox/hotel) food, tow vehicle, wear and tear on it, fire suit, helmet, gloves, shoes etc.

XP racing at LORORS...I have some thoughts on this.....

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
Again, well said Doug and Joey. This stock class will be a great class to build at the regional level. The big weekends are plenty full with out bringing UTVS back.

Dirty

Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
2013 puts Utv Racing at an all time high in race entries!

With The Lucas Oil Regional Series (California, Arizona, Utah) WORCS, The Dirt Series, Central Oregon Off Road Park and others organizations across the country pulling good numbers

Were do you see the utv race industry heading ?

How do you feel about the Stock XP class at the Lucas Oil Regional.

How will the XPII 1000cc do against the Maverick in the Unlimited Utv class?

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
I think the new 1000 will go up against the Maverick well, that will re build the unlimited class with the big $$ full fab cars all but phased out.

The XP 900 class will remain strong with current racers as well as new guys wanting to get in that may already own the 900.

XP 900 resale will take a hit.. but I know the feeling. I owned a race prepped 800s when the XP landed....

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
My apologies to all in advance but couldn't get through all the posts: As WORCS sportsman this past year we have made some mods to the car...but most if not all based on safety....can anyone tell us if this type car would be accepted for say a LORRS Stock class:

2011 XP
Stock engine hardware (no engine mods)
Alba Stage II Factor header to Exhaust, clutch weights, controller.
Upgraded Fox shocks
Beadlocks
Welded to frame chromoly Roll cage with bolted seat pan. Three subpillar hard doors & netting (w vs x inside of doors) door height slightly above resting shoulder height
Cross roof bracing to preclude cage entry
Bed delete

Stock width, no changes to stock shock mount points or any other stock point.

The car was built to be safe, by a local truck/class 1 shop not knowing what we would experience, this our first year with WORCS.....

we remain hopeful this would still allow our car to be considered stock...even though from a safety perspective it looks like an MRAP.

Thanks in advance

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
My apologies to all in advance but couldn't get through all the posts: As WORCS sportsman this past year we have made some mods to the car...but most if not all based on safety....can anyone tell us if this type car would be accepted for say a LORRS Stock class:

2011 XP
Upgraded Fox shocks
Beadlocks
Welded to frame chromoly Roll cage with bolted seat pan. Three subpillar hard doors & netting (w vs x inside of doors) door height slightly above resting shoulder height
Bed delete

The car was built to be safe, by a local truck/class 1 shop not knowing what we would experience, this our first year with WORCS.....

we remain hopeful this would still allow our car to be considered stock...even though from a safety perspective it looks like an MRAP.

Thanks in advance
Steve I believe your car would pass tech with a couple of small changes. 1 you will need a metal grate on the windshield, and 2 you will have to look at your door bars and roof bars. I believe Lucas oild requires an X over your head and a V at your Hip.

Windshield Grate

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think the new 1000 will go up against the Maverick well, that will re build the unlimited class with the big $$ full fab cars all but phased out.

The XP 900 class will remain strong with current racers as well as new guys wanting to get in that may already own the 900.

XP 900 resale will take a hit.. but I know the feeling. I owned a race prepped 800s when the XP landed....
The XP900 class will probably need to be phased out after another year would be my guess. I see Polaris probably discontinuing the 900 for 2014 (as in July 29th). I am 99% sure that they will only be building the new machine as I couldn't see why they would build both but I could be wrong? There will certainly be enough cars to still field a class but I would bet most would want to upgrade their car to a 1000?

I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a little bummed for all the guys who just built 900's only to have the new machine drop.

Its going to strike a good discussion, one that will probably need to be in another thread.The question would be would racers still want to compete in a stock 900 class when the stock 1000 is bigger and badder. If thats the case then would Lucas create a stock 1000 class or then just open it up to all 1000's?

The good news for Lucas and all the other orgs is I think we have reached the CC limit for a while. So now they can set their classes accordingly in terms of the big 1000cc class. I don't see any OEM going beyond 1000cc anytime soon.

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
Agreed Joey, good points. I do think the 900 stock class will still hold water.
I also know LOORS cant just keep adding classes just cause we have different UTVs.. I bet they will just slot the new 1000 in the Unlimited class with the Yellow cars..

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009

2011 XP
Upgraded Fox shocks
Beadlocks
Bed delete

Thanks in advance
Steve your door bars are fine. You will need the rock shield like Jim said, and you may need a different window net clasp, must have the one that has the latch. like this http://www.kartek.com/Product/1297/Latch-Window-Net-Mount-Kit.aspx and also the red velcro strap on the latch.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
thanx to dirty (ken) for making my family feel at home at the regional race last weekend. ive always liked glen helen, even in my 2 wheeled days. see all of you at glen helen in a week. :cool:

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
QUOTE=COGNITO;137445]Steve your door bars are fine. You will need the rock shield like Jim said, and you may need a different window net clasp, must have the one that has the latch. like this
href="http://www.kartek.com/Product/1297/Latch-Window-Net-Mount-Kit.aspx"
target=_blank>http://www.kartek.com/Product/1297/Latch-Window-Net-Mount-Kit.aspx
and also the red velcro strap on the latch.[/QUOTE]

Steve's nets and latches are already correct for LOORRS requirements. Jim and Justin are correct that the car will need a rock guard screen in front of the driver. The one thing that may be an issue is the roof bars. Steve's car does have a diagonal over the driver but does not have a center bar in the roof. It may be a tech inspection judgement call there. Either way, it would be easy to add another bar.

As for the new Polaris 1000, first just let me say that I am PUMPED that
there are constantly new and improved SxSs coming out! :D

As for the 900 stock class, I would think that car counts aren't going to significantly change, just the makeup of the field. (I hope i'm wrong!) I would think that Lucas would change the class to 1000cc limit and allow Mavericks, Wildcats, and RZR 1000s to all compete against each other. Let 900 guys in there too. If there ends up being a bunch of guys still racing 900s, maybe there will be enough to have their own class.

However, I am just glad that we have multiple choice on how and where to race SxSs!!! Who remembers what happened with CORR after September of 2008??? That was the last race at the Quarry in Chula Vista. There were a lot of us in deep with expensive cars with not many choices on where to go from there. I know Doug remembers it well! So do the George Family (FUNCO), Wellers, HRT Motorsports, Vanbeekums, etc. Lets just keep SxS Racing moving in a positive direction!

Here is my son and I at Chula after the last race at the Quarry.

LORENZ

Lorenz Industries - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
She's in good hands being properly caresses in all the right places.

A new ZX10 motor is going into the Banana this weekend and into next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000