TAX Avoidance? TAX Evasion? Shipping prices?

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
Taxes, taxes... Taxes! We all love them... Tax avoidance, is perfectly legal. Tax evasion; not so much lol. So I'm aiming at tax avoidance here...

Question for someone who can slap me with a cold reality. Perhaps I'm dreaming, but I'd like to see if this is at all possible.

Here is my situation. I'm thinking on on purchasing a sport SxS here in the near future from Bert's Mega Mall. I reside in "Colorado" But... I'm stationed on a military instillation. My home of record is AZ but just moved from MT to AZ. I also lived in MT before we moved to AZ... Hopefully I'm not loosing anyone here. I still have my MT DL, "where I could still claim my residency", my home of record is in AZ where my parents reside and am stationed on a military installation in CO. I'm also getting ready to leave CO in about 4-6 months.

With all that said, is there a way I can "Avoid" these taxes? Read on; these are some of the ideas I am thinking on.

Say I give Burt's my MT DL, can I have the vehicle shipped to AZ "Say I'm on orders to deploy and I want my parents to look after it in AZ". I also have an AZ state DL, Im not 100% sure how that happened... ;)

Or perhaps having the vehicle shipped to my military installation, that I'm leaving soon, is it possible to avoid the tax that way?

I'm not trying to get over. But if an old Soldier can save a few $1000 in state taxes, why not try. The rich sure know the loopholes, why shouldn't an "overpaid" government employee ;)

Lastly, does anyone have a ball park figure of how much it cost for shipping SxS's to your residence? CA to central AZ/central CO etc.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you ver much.
Much respect,
RiP

suicidejockey

LooseCannonUTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 13, 2009
Heber City, UT
Not to get to much into your business but are you paying out right for it or financing? The reason I ask is I talked to art about buying one, (I'm from ut) and was told if you finance it through the dealer you have to pay taxes. (I didn't get creative on avoidance) but if you pay them outright there is no taxes

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
Not to get to much into your business but are you paying out right for it or financing? The reason I ask is I talked to art about buying one, (I'm from ut) and was told if you finance it through the dealer you have to pay taxes. (I didn't get creative on avoidance) but if you pay them outright there is no taxes
I don't have all of the $$$ to buy it outright as of now. I wonder why buying it outright would be an exception to the taxes required in your state... I'll have to look into that a little more. If that's the case, I might have to dig up some cash...

Thanks for the input!
RiP

M1028

May 29, 2012
Sealy, Tx
If your buying out of state you should only need to pay the taxes if you get the vehicle registered. I've done it, didn't see the need to register an off road only vehicle, much less have I ever registered one. Couple people told me I couldn't get it insured or get title if it wasn't registered. Title is in my hands, insurance does not need registration. May be different in your state.

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
If your buying out of state you should only need to pay the taxes if you get the vehicle registered. I've done it, didn't see the need to register an off road only vehicle, much less have I ever registered one. Couple people told me I couldn't get it insured or get title if it wasn't registered. Title is in my hands, insurance does not need registration. May be different in your state.
Now that's some good information. I didn't know this. I wonder if any CO or AZ have a tax for off road vehicles like this...

Great information! Thank you very much. I'll have to look into this a little more. I'll post whatever I find out for the states I mentioned.

Thanks a lot gents!
Much respect,
RiP

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
It's my understanding that if you buy from out-of-state, you don't have to pay tax when you buy it. But you will have to pay tax to the state that you register it in.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
Any savings you get from buying from a place like Berts is gonna be lost in fuel/shipping, personally I would find a dealer near you for a price match. Unless your in MT your gonna get dinged for some taxes.
I have bought all my UTVs out of California for tax reasons and try not to give those bastards any of my money.

I suggest Northland Motorsports in Flagstaff AZ.

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
Any savings you get from buying from a place like Berts is gonna be lost in fuel/shipping, personally I would find a dealer near you for a price match. Unless your in MT your gonna get dinged for some taxes.
I have bought all my UTVs out of California for tax reasons and try not to give those bastards any of my money.

I suggest Northland Motorsports in Flagstaff AZ.
Hmm... If anything I'd rather give my $ to a good state like AZ instead of CA.

But than again, I have no plans to register the vehicle. If the cost of shipping is close to what the price is for taxes, theirs no point in having it shipped. Sounds like the next step is to call up Bert's for a price quote.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
RiP

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
I have bought 2 new quads and a new UTV with the same results this way. I live in Missouri and bought them from Arkansas and I only had to pay state and county taxes in Missouri when I registered them and no taxes at the dealership.

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
It shouldn't cost much at all to get it registered. Some places you ride will require a registration sticker on your rig to ride there or they will ticket you. Also in Missouri when I registered my new ones they send the title back to me in my name which makes everything easier when I get rid of them.

Hmm... If anything I'd rather give my $ to a good state like AZ instead of CA.

But than again, I have no plans to register the vehicle. If the cost of shipping is close to what the price is for taxes, theirs no point in having it shipped. Sounds like the next step is to call up Bert's for a price quote.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
RiP

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
It shouldn't cost much at all to get it registered. Some places you ride will require a registration sticker on your rig to ride there or they will ticket you. Also in Missouri when I registered my new ones they send the title back to me in my name which makes everything easier when I get rid of them.
Not the registration, but the state tax you pay when you purchase the vehicle. Registrations can run from as little as $7 up to $120 or so. Taxes can run $3000 plus :)

I have no plans to register the vehicle if I do find out I can avoid a state tax.

Thanks gents,
RiP

thekevin

Mar 23, 2013
I paid less than $600 for taxes and registration on my 2013 Rhino SE on the $12,700 purchase price.

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
I paid less than $600 for taxes and registration on my 2013 Rhino SE on the $12,700 purchase price.
That's a great ride right there! That's pretty average tax for the price you paid.

I'm trying to avoid a tax for a vehicle that's going to cost $20,000 + dollars. Now if I wait for the 2014 RZR XP4, that will cost even more... I'm guessing the 2014 XP4 MSRP will be around $22,700. Add some vehicle and personal protection, big bore kit, stage II kit that I'm looking at before it leaves the shop that all starts adding up fast.

I'll have to look into Bert's some more. Having it shipped on post here and driving it off road in AZ shouldn't cost to much :)

Thanks to those who have responded in a professional matter.

Much respect,
RiP

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Arizona will require an off road plate which means it will have to be registered.if you buy it in California and register it in Arizona they will make you pay tax.I went through all of this when I bought my rhino from Minnesota because you couldn't buy them in Arizona in 2005.when they made us have a plate I had to register it and pay 500 dollars tax.

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
That's a great ride right there! That's pretty average tax for the price you paid.

I'm trying to avoid a tax for a vehicle that's going to cost $20,000 + dollars. Now if I wait for the 2014 RZR XP4, that will cost even more... I'm guessing the 2014 XP4 MSRP will be around $22,700. Add some vehicle and personal protection, big bore kit, stage II kit that I'm looking at before it leaves the shop that all starts adding up fast.

I'll have to look into Bert's some more. Having it shipped on post here and driving it off road in AZ shouldn't cost to much :)

Thanks to those who have responded in a professional matter.

Much respect,
RiP
Us un-professional taxpayers can only hope that you are prosecuted to the full extent of the law should your conspiracy come to fruition.

Title of the thread suggests your desire to break the law. What's next, round up the remainder of the Dillinger gang and continue their antics???

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
Arizona will require an off road plate which means it will have to be registered.if you buy it in California and register it in Arizona they will make you pay tax.I went through all of this when I bought my rhino from Minnesota because you couldn't buy them in Arizona in 2005.when they made us have a plate I had to register it and pay 500 dollars tax.
I'm tracking the AZ law. One of my battle buddies got out and works as a nighthawk for Sheriff Joe and I took a few college crim-j courses in southern AZ / ride alongs "Ground and air" out of sheer boredom. Even spotted a few illegals borrowing some thermals I was lent for about 30-45 min. Was told I had beginners luck. Told them this hunt's easy compared to Afghanistan with little to no illumination @ 17,000', almost no sleep and freezing your six point of contact off!

Anyways...

I found a loophole! No need to discuss it in open forum in detail though... I have at least one troll watching this thread. Here is an example of the loophole I am using to avoid the taxes "to include" vehicle registration.

http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/milaff.htm.

Yes I have a small piece of AK that I own. Benefits of once being stationed there and being married...

You can read into if you wish. I'm not going to be paying for anything, to include registering my future RZR in AZ so long as I posses my military identification.

I've made all the necessary phone calls that I need to. The only thing I would be required to do is register, plate and insure the vehicle in AZ "If" I plan to drive it on public roads. I also called a local sheriffs department to shoot the $h1t and "Talked to a friend of a friend", who said: Brother, your serving, nobody here is going to ticket you period". Those were his words mixed in with some other kind words.

Chino Valley, AZ PD PH# (928) 636-4223

It's a nice feeling having that respect. You don't see it that to often close to post unless your stationed in FT. Benning, GA :)

Many thanks to those who have contributed to this thread in a professional major.

Much respect,
RiP

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
Then there's the rest of us that don't take advantage of the system and pay our fair share of taxes to make up for the f'ing thieves that don't.

You definitely have a future in law enforcement. They too have this feeling of entitlement chip on their shoulder, you'll fit right in.

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
This is fact for sure. I bought a boat on-line from an outfit in Ca. because they had good prices. When I went to register it in AZ I had to pay sales tax. Took me half a day of running around to get it all taken care of.
Looks to me like you are borrowing trouble. Almost all the riding in AZ will involve starting or finishing on a public road. Any forest service road in the state is considered public. Sounds like you are wanting to do a bunch of mods as well so I would guess a dune trip would be included in your list of wanted activities? Without a registration you will get a ticket for sure. Possible impounding your ride. I also don't think that the friend of a friend saying you won't get a ticket because you served will help much with the LEO who's heard excuses all day. I'm all for saving money but I think you might end up with years of frustrating encounters from trying to beat the system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000