Yamaha Temporary Loss of Power

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
So I was out for a nice ride this weekend and the rhino was working great until I started back up and out of the canyon we had dropped into. It was a nice cool day and it ran fine on the way in which was mostly down hill.

I had it loaded down pretty good with 2 adults and 2 kids plus all the other stuff you'd normally take on a day trip.

On a couple of the steep climbs out it would start bogging down like it was starving for fuel at just under 1/2 throttle. It would still run ok as long as you didn't push the petal more than 1/2 way down.

On both occasions it did this, I would shut if off for a few seconds and start it back up and it would be fine for a while. Seemed like a computer issue and once it would reset it would be ok for a bit.

Anyone experience this or have any thoughts?

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
Check you fuel filter, DD has same type of problem and once we change the filter it is good to go, some time we need to change it more offen ;-)

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
Fuel Pump or bad Ground? More likely a bad fuel pump:(
Papa, does turning it off then on again help to reset the pump?
Seems strange that each of the 2 times it did this when I shut it off then restarted it was fine for a while.

I'll look into the pump.

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
Thanks papa, I think I'll pull the pump assembly tonight and have a look.
Only about 600 miles on her but oh well, s**t happens.

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
Look at a shop manual and see what your Fuel Pressure should be and hook up a pressure gauge and see what is going on? But a visual never hurt anything? How about warranty? With only 600 miles it should be covered?
Will do with the shop manual.

I would think a pressure problem would throw an error code on the display but maybe not.

I doubt they'd cover this under warranty as I am the second owner and have done engine mods to it so I'm pretty sure they'd void that part of the warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000