Kawasaki Teryx 4 Desert Racer Build

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
Teryx 4 update

Been lurking and learning on here since I purchased my T4. I intend to race it in the Baja Racing of Texas series. Right now it is in my garage with all plastic and covers off, exhaust and throttle bodies removed. I was notified my Muzzy exhaust was on the way. I have new seats coming from twisted stitch. I'm waiting on benchmark for the ECU and throttle bodies to be returned. Hopefully they will get it back to me next week. They have to get the mapping done for the bored out throttle bodies. I have been receiving all my items to turn it into a race car and to make it race legal. A local fab shop is building a custom role cage. The design will be very similar to benchmarks but will be 8" wider at the shoulder with integrated doors. V Force John did his first stage 3 mod on my clutch and I have already got it back in. I just have to get the exhaust and throttle bodies back on to give it a test run. I'm hoping for 70+ mph but we will see. Me and some friends started a race team called OG racing and I started a website if you want to check it out at www.ogoffroadracing.com or you can find us on facebook. I'm just getting it up and don't really know what I am doing (in any of this), but it sure has been fun and addicting. I also received the factory service manual today so they are starting to trickle out. The first BRT race is March 1st so hopefully I'll be ready! Thanks for all the info and help getting this all started (and you didn't even know you were helping. Once I have something more than a shell of a vehicle I will start posting build pictures. Next year I want to do a bbk and long travel. Anyone now how muzzy is coming on there 999cc for the T4? We are actively seeking sponsorship if any of the vendors would like to get a presence in the Lone Star State!

Here are a few pics of the cage I designed in Bend-Tech Pro. It was my first time and its not perfect. It was designed after Benchmark's Cage.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.246808382061392.61621.244600088948888&type=1&l=a2c73c75f5

Last edited:

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
Ok a year later and some real progress. LTI long travel. BFG KM2's in beadlocks. Custom cage and doors. Next up replacing all the plastic dash and engine cover with aluminum. And wiring for intercom, radio, 30" light bar, push button ignition, second battery, and other stuff to make it race legal.

This has been a challenge but I hope to make the first race of the season in April then do the bbk before the next race.

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
Should be picking her up this weekend. Plan on taking it out for a quick spin then pull the motor and send it to Benchmark performance for the very first 840 BBK with ported heads and oversized valves. Pretty much the works!

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
Have you raced it yet? What is current top speed? Looks good.
I have not raced it yet. It is an extremely long story but I'll save that for another day. The short of it is I have been working on it since March of last year. I have hoped to have it ready for several races but it has not been ready. The next race is in July and once again I hope to have it ready by then. If that doesn't work out the next race is in October.

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
I picked my car up this morning. Here are a few pictures. I'll get more when I get back from hunting. Quick test run had a max sped of 65 mph with the wind. Against the wind it was 55 mph. It was only pulling 7200 rpm though and has more power up higher. This is with 30" bfg km2s, muzzys exhaust, benchmark reflash, and v force John machined secondary. I'm planning on testing Benchmarks 840 bbk with the works as soon as possible. But it at this point clutch tuning would yield more good gains. If only someone made a kit (hint hint)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
BBK installed. Benchmark 840 cc kit with new +1 valves, new springs ported heads, 38mm throttle bodies. 11:1 compression CP pistons. I think that's it. Still needs a test and tune bit hope to have it ready for the Texas Desert Racing Association race this
[ame]http://youtu.be/UVV-UYriNTY[/ame]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
I like it .. curious to know how much speed it picked up with the new engine. 55 against the wind on 30" tires isnt bad at all I wouldnt think.

Utv133

Mar 14, 2012
Havasu
I hope they have a 850cc class or something in texas . Be a shame you spent all the time and money to have a stock xp 900 blow your doors off !!

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
I hope they have a 850cc class or something in texas . Be a shame you spent all the time and money to have a stock xp 900 blow your doors off !!
I'm not worried. It's built well and horsepower won't win a race by itself. I'm racing for the overall win in all classes! I'm going to blow the doors off of class 1 buggies and trophy trucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
Looks sick. Good luck. What you lack in HP should make up with suspension.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Mghoodlum

Jan 5, 2012
Texas
www.ogoffroadracing.com
Looks sick. Good luck. What you lack in HP should make up with suspension.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Haha. Thanks!

Here is an update:

This weekend was race weekend... Unfortunately we aren't going to make it. After an initial parts order for the fuel system and two overnight orders for fittings I didn't realize I needed the first time and second time, working until midnight last night and all day today we got the fuel system plumbed. The custom fuel cell was intended to fit behind the front passengers seat but the dimensions were off so we placed it were the back seats would be after welding in some brackets. The next issue we had was fuel was pouring out of one of the fuel injectors. We troubleshot the issue and isolated it to a bad O-ring. I then called the two local Kawi dealerships to find it was special order. Went to two auto parts store without any luck and was referred to a local store that some said had a very large selection of O-rings. i came back with as close as a ring as I could find that was slightly thicker than the stock o ring. Several stores had given me an oring to try but it didn't look like any of them were going to work. I just knew a less than 1 buck part was going to keep us from racing. However the larger ring was a tight fit but worked like a charm. Got that fixed and it still wouldn't fire and quickly realized we had lost the ground on the controller again!!! I made a jumper cable to the ground post on the battery to hopefully permanently fix the problem and it fired right up. Started putting all the panels back in and thought we were going to actually make it. We stopped to go eat dinner with our spouses who have not seen us much over the last week as we pushed to finish things up. During a conversation with the family I realized we still would not be racing. I had ordered window nets a little over two weeks ago. Things have been so hectic pushing to get everything finished up I hadn't realized they never showed up as expected.

There is Still a lot of work to be done like plumb the catch can, oil cooler, temperature gauge, fill vehicle wrap and we will be better prepared for the next race in October. What's another couple of months after this long but we were pushing hard and looking forward to this race.

Something very good did happen today. After trying since my first son was born to have another child my wife took a pregnancy test that cme back positive. Wsje had blood drawn today to verify that and we should get the confirmation Monday, we are very excited to say the least!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000