Teryx front diff upgrade MUST for all Teryx racers from XMF

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
I want to let everyone know that XMF is now making the ever illusive "teryx front diff" that racers have been waiting for. Several of these were produced a couple years ago and now XMF has stepped up and built a production unit.

The teryx front diff has two issues. First, there is a lot of rotating mass up there with all the clutch packs etc. Second, there is room for the front drive shaft to swing about 3/4 inch back and forth in the carrier and "bang" against the carrier. This play can allow easier turning on hard pack but also results in a broken diff in many race applications.

The XMF front diff upgrade replaces the clutch pack with a new carrier attachment removing a great deal of rototing mass. While the diff is apart, XMF will weld the carrier to eliminate the play making the diff much stronger.

The kit can be installed with or without eliminating the 4wd switch function. As a two time points champion, we chose to lock it in 4wd and eliminate as much as we could. Here is the price breakdown.

Teryx diff billet carrier upgrade $249
Teryx diff spacer to remove clutch pack $74.20
Block off caps and ring $25
Set up and install all parts including welding coupler $250

This can be set up for full time 4wd or retain the ability to shift
Total price if you drop off your diff and pick it up, just shy of $600 +tax for AZ. Just a comparison, it is about $1300 to replace the front diff once it blows.

Thanks to XMF for the race support! XMF is the first and only sponsor of the Raber Racing Teryx that is challenging the BITD series this year. I feel much better about racing long races without the concern about the front diff grenading in the middle of the desert.

XMF Rocks!

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
We run with the 4 wheel engaged but not locked with the ratcheting lever. Is this an issue no matter what type of 4 wheel you are in? a little more explanation if you can of the problem. Been racing 2 years on the same diff without an issue, are we on the edge of this issue?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
The problem I was having was the carrier that the ring gear bolts to and carries the spider gears breaks and then it breaks the center section of the case.
The stock carrier is cast and Scott at XMF makes a billet one.This is well worth the money because it takes out the spider gears and fills all the bearings with metal when the carrier breaks.
You can take the diff apart yourself,but it takes some special tools to take the pinion gear and bearings apart.(no need to take this apart if you havent filled the bearings with metal)
This is a must have for serious racers because it will break at some point.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I would say it has more to due with landing with the gas on.I dont think the load from turning should be passed through the cv and axle to the diff.
They break between the 2 openings in the carrier were the spider gears are.If you take it apart and look at it you will see what I am talking about.
I could take a picture with my phone(I have 2 broken ones) but I dont know how to post them from my phone.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Is the carrier breaking due to excess side load like what the short course guys experience with all the cornering? Want to understand what triggers the original failure.
This failure happens from forward and rear loading such as whoops as well. The black Teryx that raced BITD and several other series races last year broke it. I think he said it went on his first race. It is the only factory part that he ever broke and he is running stock CV's at all four corners and stock uprights and spindles. I have spoken with several people that have broken it but most of the m seem to be from jumping. Funco originally produced a couple kits for Vanbeekem, Chad George, etc because they were breaking diffs left and right. Now he and Scott worked together and XMF is making them with the billett block off plates to cover the holes when all that stuff is removed. I need to take a picture of all the crap that came out of my front diff. It is seriously about 5 lbs of stuff. If you have been racing two years without a failure, consider yourself lucky and take care of it before you destroy the bearings as well. I think the Teryx is the best factory unit as far as strength but the front diff is most definitely the weak link when it comes to racing.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
If you take it apart yourself you will see what we are talking about.Also if you dont run the diff lock you can remove all the clutch packs and save several pounds of weight.I know you are doing the desert races and this will save you a sure fire break down IMHO.

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
We used to break one every other race. Not any more My XMF front end had been in the car for the last two years @ lucas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000