Well pulled the trigger on the 32 ITP Ultracross
Fingers crossed they are better than the bfg I had

Msa m21 15" 15lbs
Bfg was 48 lbs
Itp seems the be 42lbs
Mounted bfg was 65lbs
Mounted itp was 57lbs

See how it works on my 2014

And for some reason directly from mounting this happend will call the supplier tomorrow

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
The method 15 inchers probably weigh that cause they are using the truck wheel molds and modified it for the utvs! The utvs do not weigh that much so it needs to be a wheel specifically designed for them if you know what I mean.

killer toy

Jan 6, 2016
I posted a update and some pics yesterday and it says waiting for approval any reason y ?

Hammer

Nov 22, 2015
Bumping this thread...

I have 2016 NA xp4 1k car all stock. I really like the 15” Method 401 but they only come in 4/3 offset and from what you guys are saying it’s a bad combo and to heavy of a wheel.

I also read the shock therapy article.

Would really like some insight as SXS scene is new to me, I come from dirt bikes and sand drag quads.

I want to go with the new 32” BFG and rework the clutch. My thought is I could always make more power.

Any insight would be great.

Would prefer a 15” Wheel and a 32” tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratoutahell

Sep 21, 2014
Western Colorado
Bumping this thread...

I have 2016 NA xp4 1k car all stock. I really like the 15” Method 401 but they only come in 4/3 offset and from what you guys are saying it’s a bad combo and to heavy of a wheel.

I also read the shock therapy article.

Would really like some insight as SXS scene is new to me, I come from dirt bikes and sand drag quads.

I want to go with the new 32” BFG and rework the clutch. My thought is I could always make more power.

Any insight would be great.

Would prefer a 15” Wheel and a 32” tire.

I think way to many people are getting hung up on this offset thing. IMO, very few people can drive the difference in the offset and there are so many factors going into how a car handles. For the every day driver/rider it makes no difference whatsoever. Go with what you want and what you think looks good. For what its worth I use the 15x7 4+3 on my race car with no issues. -Kyle ~ XLR

Last edited:

Hammer

Nov 22, 2015
I think way to many people are getting hung up on this offset thing. IMO, very few people can drive the difference in the offset and there are so many factors going into how a car handles. For the every day driver/rider it makes no difference whatsoever. Go with what you want and what you think looks good. For what its worth I use the 15x7 4+3 on my race car with no issues. -Kyle ~ XLR

Thanks Kyle. Sometimes the forums are the worst, I’ve read so much on this subject I was hoping for some real world answers.

Is a 32” tire too big?

Ratoutahell

Sep 21, 2014
Western Colorado
Thanks Kyle. Sometimes the forums are the worst, I’ve read so much on this subject I was hoping for some real world answers.

Is a 32” tire too big?

32's are just fine with proper clutching. I've run 32's for the last couple of years on all my machines both turbo and NA XP 1000's.

Reactions: Hammer

Hammer

Nov 22, 2015
32's are just fine with proper clutching. I've run 32's for the last couple of years on all my machines both turbo and NA XP 1000's.

Thank you. I’m going to run the 32” BFG KR2’s. Looks like they weigh in at 39 lbs.

Your car looks killer BTW. Thanks for the help/insight

Last edited:

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
I have been running the new 32" BFG that just won the Baja 1000 and the final BITD race on our XP1000 SE Rock and Trail edition with excellent results. I did 500 miles of Baja and some pre running at the King of the Hammers and you would have to pay me to give these tires up.

They do rub slightly on the front fenders but not enough to bother me. We stick with as close to stock offset as possible to keep the steering geometry in its happy place.

Reactions: Bajaxp and Hammer

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
From what I understand of the shock therapy article the taller you go with the tire the ideal offset will change.

Edit. Just reread the article and a 32 isn't any where near tall enough to adjust for correct scrub radius on a 4+3 offset

Last edited:

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
It would be interesting to get some 1" wheel spacers and try the same section of bumps with and without the spacers running my 5+2 wheels to see how much of a noticeable difference there actually is.

I will say that with my 4+4 front wheels that my sand tires are mounted on, I hate the way it handles in 4wd. Seems like I am fighting the steering wheel a lot more than I am running my 5+2 wheels and dirt tires in 4wd.

Ratoutahell

Sep 21, 2014
Western Colorado
It would be interesting to get some 1" wheel spacers and try the same section of bumps with and without the spacers running my 5+2 wheels to see how much of a noticeable difference there actually is.

I will say that with my 4+4 front wheels that my sand tires are mounted on, I hate the way it handles in 4wd. Seems like I am fighting the steering wheel a lot more than I am running my 5+2 wheels and dirt tires in 4wd.
I have played around with stock 5+1 and aftermarket 4+4, and 4+3 and also running those with 2" wheel spacers. No doubt a slightly positive srub is desired on these cars. For sure you can notice the negative side effects with the wider offset wheels. In a race car situation I would agree that one should try to get as close to ideal as possible. Driving under hard race conditions for hundreds of miles adds up quick both in fatigue, feedback, and parts wear. But the majority of riders/drivers are not racing. The vast majority are recreation drivers that simply want to be pretend to be pro. Many read these articles and preach it as gospel in an attempt to seem intelligent on a subject but have no real world experience to back it up. It is my personal opinion that there are very few drivers out there that can go from a 4+3 to a 5+2 and notice a difference. And if you could, after 15 minuets you would be used to the difference. If you had the option, then yes go with the 5+2 over 4+3. What the ST article says is not false and anything you can do to help the driving experience is a good thing to do. But the truth is the aftermarket is full of 4+3 whereas 5+2 is much harder to find. For the everyday recreation user a 4+3 is just fine. Its not like running this offset will cause an immediate violent crash or cause your front end to fall off lol. As far as the added parts wear meh okay, more wear but how much more? A part that has a service life of 500 miles is shortened how much? 5%? 10% (I honestly don't know) but doubt it to be significantly different. (from 4+3 to 5+2). Just my opinion :)

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I rarely run 4wd in the dunes so it's not a big deal there for me. I would rather have the added stability of the higher offset. Had I gotten to try 4+3 wheels before I bought wheels and tires, I may have ended up coming to the same conclusion with my dirt set up too but the ST article was enough to make me stick with 5+2s. I do tend to hung up on little details......lol

Reactions: Hammer

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I have played around with stock 5+1 and aftermarket 4+4, and 4+3 and also running those with 2" wheel spacers. No doubt a slightly positive srub is desired on these cars. For sure you can notice the negative side effects with the wider offset wheels. In a race car situation I would agree that one should try to get as close to ideal as possible. Driving under hard race conditions for hundreds of miles adds up quick both in fatigue, feedback, and parts wear. But the majority of riders/drivers are not racing. The vast majority are recreation drivers that simply want to be pretend to be pro. Many read these articles and preach it as gospel in an attempt to seem intelligent on a subject but have no real world experience to back it up. It is my personal opinion that there are very few drivers out there that can go from a 4+3 to a 5+2 and notice a difference. And if you could, after 15 minuets you would be used to the difference. If you had the option, then yes go with the 5+2 over 4+3. What the ST article says is not false and anything you can do to help the driving experience is a good thing to do. But the truth is the aftermarket is full of 4+3 whereas 5+2 is much harder to find. For the everyday recreation user a 4+3 is just fine. Its not like running this offset will cause an immediate violent crash or cause your front end to fall off lol. As far as the added parts wear meh okay, more wear but how much more? A part that has a service life of 500 miles is shortened how much? 5%? 10% (I honestly don't know) but doubt it to be significantly different. (from 4+3 to 5+2). Just my opinion :)
Excellent post.

I ran over 1000 miles with 4+3 offset wheels in the dessert. You are correct you don’t notice it.

In the dunes another 4,000+ miles with wide offset. Never had any ball joint failures, wheel bearing issues, etc.....

Pick a wheel you like and go have fun.

Reactions: Simi Dude

Hammer

Nov 22, 2015
Excellent post.

I ran over 1000 miles with 4+3 offset wheels in the dessert. You are correct you don’t notice it.

In the dunes another 4,000+ miles with wide offset. Never had any ball joint failures, wheel bearing issues, etc.....

Pick a wheel you like and go have fun.

Thanks guys!

I went with the 401 15” 4+3 with a 30” tensor.

I will probably be starting more threads as I want to get into a stock production race class, hopefully next season.

I appreciate the insight without a bunch of bullshit from a newbie to the SxS industry.

Reactions: Simi Dude

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
My zero offset 401R’s with 33x9.50x15’s are bad ass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000