The New Can-Am Maverick.....

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
My first trip was in 1977 the week Elvis died. I remember staying in some dive hotel at first. Then cockroaches came out when I was swimming in the hotel pool in the rain when my mom screamed and then we left and went to another hotel. I was 5 at the time, the same trip we went to tj. I still don't like Mexico..... This is the last trip for me and my kids though. My daughter turned 20 yesterday and my son is going to college next year. I'm happy and sad at the same time . My first trip here with my kids was in 1998.

I'll get back to the topic now after rambling. I think part of your issue with the STM setup is that you were weighted in the factory arrangement. Meaning that the default weight setup is what you had. It was weighted 14-4-0. That is twice the weight that I have in mine right now. That could have aided in the breaking of the arm.
And as for the gouges in the shieves, I'd say a rock got in there and fudged things up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Do I have any pictures? Does Raggedy Ann have cotton tits?

Shazaaamm!!

I document EVERYTHING! (except I don't take those stupid f-ing selfie things. What's that all about anyway?)

the Raggedy Ann comment is the first time I heard that(must be a generational thing).

come on now you are not completely innocent, I seem to remember watching a video of a hillbilly in a cowboy hat plucking away on a guitar. :D

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
the Raggedy Ann comment is the first time I heard that(must be a generational thing).

come on now you are not completely innocent, I seem to remember watching a video of a hillbilly in a cowboy hat plucking away on a guitar. :D
I'd like to say that I own it, but since I can't, well.... what the heck. It's Sunday, and I'm a story teller, so here's the origin:

Years back, when my brother and I had our race shop (back when I was even more inquisitive than I am now), a field rep from SD Welding Supply, now known as West air, named Bill Watson would come by regularly (weekly) to have a few beers and shoot the shit. The guy was a walking comedy store. We recently purchased a 5,000 dollar Hobart TIG/Plasma combo machine for our garage that made the move with us to our new shop (5k was a lot of scratch back in the 80's for a non-engine driven welding machine). If there was a lemon law for industrial equipment, this machine was a worthy candidate for replacement. One Friday, a few beers into his visit, Bill and I were talking about rectifier based welding machines versus the new inverter based technology machines that were all the buzz. (well, inverters were new back then!). When I asked ol' Bill if he thought we made a good purchase, since they were always sending their tech guy Manny over to fix the "anchor", he looked at me, his eyes half-cocked, and out of thin air he conjured up the Raggedy Ann reference. At first, I did a double take because it was an off-color thing to say (he was too unique of an individual to use the "Does a duck fart in the water" cliche'). Then thought to myself, "Yeah, I guess so". It was a monicker for him. It defined who he was. Off color, and politically incorrect. So now, in paying homage to my old friend Bill, I'll throw it out there once in a while. Anything to make the younger generation stop and think for a minute. Not many thinkers out there nowadays.

A generational thing? I don't think were all that far apart. I'm guessing 57, based on the effectiveness on the few words that you do type. Somehow, the screen name MDD lends itself to an old school of thought, in my mind at least.

You mean to tell me that after all that juicy stuff I shared about performance clutches, you grabbed hold of a reference to cotton breasts :confused:? I guess the upper torso is at times the focus of ones attention:D:D:D!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I'd like to say that I own it, but since I can't, well.... what the heck. It's Sunday, and I'm a story teller, so here's the origin:

Years back, when my brother and I had our race shop (back when I was even more inquisitive than I am now), a field rep from SD Welding Supply, now known as West air, named Bill Watson would come by regularly (weekly) to have a few beers and shoot the shit. The guy was a walking comedy store. We recently purchased a 5,000 dollar Hobart TIG/Plasma combo machine for our garage that made the move with us to our new shop (5k was a lot of scratch back in the 80's for a non-engine driven welding machine). If there was a lemon law for industrial equipment, this machine was a worthy candidate for replacement. One Friday, a few beers into his visit, Bill and I were talking about rectifier based welding machines versus the new inverter based technology machines that were all the buzz. (well, inverters were new back then!). When I asked ol' Bill if he thought we made a good purchase, since they were always sending their tech guy Manny over to fix the "anchor", he looked at me, his eyes half-cocked, and out of thin air he conjured up the Raggedy Ann reference. At first, I did a double take because it was an off-color thing to say (he was too unique of an individual to use the "Does a duck fart in the water" cliche'). Then thought to myself, "Yeah, I guess so". It was a monicker for him. It defined who he was. Off color, and politically incorrect. So now, in paying homage to my old friend Bill, I'll throw it out there once in a while. Anything to make the younger generation stop and think for a minute. Not many thinkers out there nowadays.

A generational thing? I don't think were all that far apart. I'm guessing 57, based on the effectiveness on the few words that you do type. Somehow, the screen name MDD lends itself to an old school of thought, in my mind at least.

You mean to tell me that after all that juicy stuff I shared about performance clutches, you grabbed hold of a reference to cotton breasts :confused:? I guess the upper torso is at times the focus of ones attention:D:D:D!
Sorry you lost me at tits. :D and I remember all of the stuff about your STM issues so again I am like a dog to a squirrel when tittays are mentioned. And eff you grandpa, I was born in 75, aint no spring chicken but aint 57. And the MDD thing is for my love of the dodge megacab trucks I have owned and still own. I built up a 3/4 ton with 2.5 swayaway shocks, progressive rate front coils and Deaver rear springs that I would pass quads with down sand highway with in Glamis. Good times but friggin stupid to dune in my tow rig with no roll cage.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Sorry you lost me at tits. :D and I remember all of the stuff about your STM issues so again I am like a dog to a squirrel when tittays are mentioned. And eff you grandpa, I was born in 75, aint no spring chicken but aint 57. And the MDD thing is for my love of the dodge megacab trucks I have owned and still own. I built up a 3/4 ton with 2.5 swayaway shocks, progressive rate front coils and Deaver rear springs that I would pass quads with down sand highway with in Glamis. Good times but friggin stupid to dune in my tow rig with no roll cage.
When Mearsman asked me if I had any pics, the answer is an unequivocal yes. The "Does Raggedy Ann have cotton teets" reference is a rhetorical question, insinuating that Mearsman should have known that I would have pictures of the subject at hand.

Grandpa? Ha ha, you're right! I am a decrepit old man in my final days, and aggravated by the changing times. Sorry, but I didn't mean to insult you with my 40% + inaccurate estimate of your age! You're just bitter because you're turning 40 next year!:D:D:D:D (I'm just kidding!)

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
When I asked the question, I knew you would have pictures.... Lol it was a rhetorical question, and a Segway to ask of you'd share the info of the failure. I think that the failure in the monster Mav of the STM is the only one I've heard if with the steel spider. That's one of the reasons I had them upgrade it when my billet one let go.

Your figure of the cost of the mouse house is about half of what it really cost. But it was worth every minute. We're stopped in Malibu at some local seafood place for lunch on our way home.

As far as the a -arm project, I'm gonna do the rear diff relocate and the a arms at the same time. My rational is that they compliment each other and that's why I was asking about the axles and plunge depth and all that. I'm going to get my heims and weld in bungs from ruffstuff specialties in the Sacramento area. They're cryro and heat treated. I've got 22 of their heims on my dodge diesel. They stand behind their product and cool dudes to boot.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
We had an aluminum 7075 spider blow up in last year's V2R.
We run FK rod ends on everything, while ruff stuff makes a decent rod end it's still an import rod end that doesn't have near the life of an FK or Aurora

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Gotcha Alex and I appreciate the input.
Alex, did you guys get it warrantied by STM? Did they do any thing to rectify the problem that you know of?

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Gotcha Alex and I appreciate the input.
Alex, did you guys get it warrantied by STM? Did they do any thing to rectify the problem that you know of?

Im gonna guess that STM did nothing because they have poor customer service and there piss poor attitude comes out the moment they figure out your not placing a purchase order and your calling about a problem and they think there shits perfect and you must have abused the clutches, we have a couple of those Rage 3 STM clutches laying around cause they were nothing but problems. I still have an original Build Rage 8 and Gen 1 Secondary and they look like better stuff than some of the ones they sell now. Maybe there cutting some corners to make more money I really don't know.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Hmmm sorry to hear that. They took good care of me when mine blew up. They even upgraded me for free.....

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Some great info on the placement and phasing of axles https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10203420941795741&id=1578246541

Useful info for a rookie like you Lol:D, but it's old news to this tech head! Just giving you a hard time Jim, that's all. Let's be clear that the video is demonstrating drive shafts and u-joints. Some Facebook member made a comment about cv's and axles as if the problem exists there also, and it doesn't. They call cv joints constant velocity joints because the drive and driven joints always rotate at the same speed regardless of different operating angles or the clocking of them relative to one another. I assume that you already knew that, and if you did, I'm sorry to have insulted your intelligence! It is not a common thing for a weekend fabricator to know. I still have a difficult time picturing in my mind that it can even happen! Fact is, when the joints are not properly "clocked", and operating angles are different than each other, the yoke at the rear end speeds up and slows down twice per revolution.

Next time you see a ridiculously lifted truck, look at the rear pinion angle. I've seen some trucks that are lifted so high that they exceed the u-joint operating angles. So, their solution is to aim the rear pinion upwards as if they were a gunnery seargent! If a guy really wants to lift his truck that high in the air, there's nothing, including sound engineering that will stop him.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Ah it don't insult easy bud, so it's all good.
Well I was gonna start on looking at the rear if the Mav and getting baselines for the start of the process to lengthen it... But it's gonna be 109 here tomorrow..... My garage isn't air conditioned sooooooo.... I'm gonna wait to go out there until Wednesday...

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Ah it don't insult easy bud, so it's all good.
Well I was gonna start on looking at the rear if the Mav and getting baselines for the start of the process to lengthen it... But it's gonna be 109 here tomorrow..... My garage isn't air conditioned sooooooo.... I'm gonna wait to go out there until Wednesday...

Feel free to talk to me along the way, anytime you scratch your head, just type instead! Ha, I'm a poet and didn't know it. Gotta go. Marc's plane lands at 11 tonite, and bossman needs a ride. Mo fo's gonna have to buy me some beer for this Sunday service!!

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Alright Reid , thanks and I'll talk to you soon

Baxter

Sep 24, 2011
OHIO
i believe Reid had the steel spider. But the issue was with the bolts that hold the weights on.

do the sleds reach 8500 rpm?
What sled are you referring too?We twisted the triple pro stock drag sled 9250 at 265hp all day long.What is it you worried about?We personally never had a clutch failure.Maybe I missed something.I'm not sure if the clutches are the same.Do they run a TRA in the Maverick?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Definition of a panzy: Someone who asks about your troubled set up without telling you the difference in theirs.

PANZIES!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000