The New Can-Am Maverick.....

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
What sled are you referring too?We twisted the triple pro stock drag sled 9250 at 265hp all day long.What is it you worried about?We personally never had a clutch failure.Maybe I missed something.I'm not sure if the clutches are the same.Do they run a TRA in the Maverick?

Pictures or it didn't happen.... I want to know what kind of STM they have, who tuned it, how it's weighted, how much drag or load it had on the belt. Running 265hp while spinning a track is a hell of a lot different than a UTV with 90 rwhp hooked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
What sled are you referring too?We twisted the triple pro stock drag sled 9250 at 265hp all day long.What is it you worried about?We personally never had a clutch failure.Maybe I missed something.I'm not sure if the clutches are the same.Do they run a TRA in the Maverick?
This is the first I've heard about a TRA. I looked it up, and noticed the main difference that the TRA has over the stock primary clutch in our race Maverick is in the moveable roller design, as opposed to our fixed roller design. I also read that the sheaves are cut at slightly different angles (4-5 degrees different). Can you please enlighten me about the TRV clutch you claim to be having success with? I noticed also, it was referred to a Ski-doo trv. Is it an oem design from Bombardier? Thanks a lot for your reply.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
Gotcha Alex and I appreciate the input.
Alex, did you guys get it warrantied by STM? Did they do any thing to rectify the problem that you know of?

I'm not sure. It was on the Avid Racing Maverick. I know the spider let go, I think STM handled it but I'm not sure.

Baxter

Sep 24, 2011
OHIO
This is the first I've heard about a TRA. I looked it up, and noticed the main difference that the TRA has over the stock primary clutch in our race Maverick is in the moveable roller design, as opposed to our fixed roller design. I also read that the sheaves are cut at slightly different angles (4-5 degrees different). Can you please enlighten me about the TRV clutch you claim to be having success with? I noticed also, it was referred to a Ski-doo trv. Is it an oem design from Bombardier? Thanks a lot for your reply.
They are factory Ski Doo clutches.They have fixed/changeable ramps and with a few mods you can take away or add pin weight to the rollers.It takes clutch tuning to a whole new level.But I can't answer why they don't use them on a sxs.I'm not sure if it's cost savings on the companies part or weight of the car causes probs.They are getting more complicated so maybe it was the manufacturers way of breaking in the industry.I'll do some digging and see what I can't find.I can tell you some of the biggest snowmobile race engine builders are jumping ship and coming to the sxs market.You'll see some huge power thrown down in the future.Check out One Stop Performance.They are building snowmobiles with close to 700HP cutting faster 60' times than a top fuel rail.It's like being shot out of a gun! lol

Baxter

Sep 24, 2011
OHIO
Pictures or it didn't happen.... I want to know what kind of STM they have, who tuned it, how it's weighted, how much drag or load it had on the belt. Running 265hp while spinning a track is a hell of a lot different than a UTV with 90 rwhp hooked up

265hp isn't anything to brag about on a race sled either.Speed ahead to the 2.40 mark on video if you don't want to fall asleep as they stage it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLaRhJebH8Q"]Take a ride on OSP outlaw 4.46 @ 156mph - YouTube[/ame]
Your crazy if your trying tell me you'll hook a long travel sxs harder than that.Quit huffing sand.lol This was 3 years.4.46 156mph in 660ft.They're running faster these days.They're pushing the 700hp mark now.You've not seen fast till you watch these guys.It's amazing they can hold onto them.You can tell me weight,heat,and the constant loading and unloading of the belt are killers but not traction.To keep proper belt tension while skipping across sand you would probably end up with a severe heat problem.I could see where it couldn't react fast enough across dunes.I talked with a friend last night that has friends @ Ski Doo.He said he'd ask why they don't think a TRA clutch would be better in a Maverick.He is the CVT wizard.lolHere's another one on dirt.This isn't one stop performance but that's flat getting it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLryaNYOZeQ"]139 mph snowmobile grass drag race. BoonDocker Arctic Cat 2012 Procross - YouTube[/ame]

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Continually load and unload the clutch on those sleds for a couple of hours and lets see if they hold up

That was scary fast though!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
265hp isn't anything to brag about on a race sled either.Speed ahead to the 2.40 mark on video if you don't want to fall asleep as they stage it.
Take a ride on OSP outlaw 4.46 @ 156mph - YouTube
Your crazy if your trying tell me you'll hook a long travel sxs harder than that.Quit huffing sand.lol This was 3 years.4.46 156mph in 660ft.They're running faster these days.They're pushing the 700hp mark now.You've not seen fast till you watch these guys.It's amazing they can hold onto them.You can tell me weight,heat,and the constant loading and unloading of the belt are killers but not traction.To keep proper belt tension while skipping across sand you would probably end up with a severe heat problem.I could see where it couldn't react fast enough across dunes.I talked with a friend last night that has friends @ Ski Doo.He said he'd ask why they don't think a TRA clutch would be better in a Maverick.He is the CVT wizard.lolHere's another one on dirt.This isn't one stop performance but that's flat getting it.
139 mph snowmobile grass drag race. BoonDocker Arctic Cat 2012 Procross - YouTube
That would be great if your friend at Ski-doo can offer up his opinion. If the TRA was a valid candidate for the UTV's, I would think people who have been racing them for the past few years would know about it. Maybe they do, and aren't sharing. I posed the question to one of the BRP engineers in Canada. I'm curious what he will have to say about it. I'll let you all know his response.

The sled was scary fast though. I knew the sled's tread had good traction capabilities across a variety of media, but that's just downright impressive! I keep thinking a bout a friend who had this badass 2180 dual webber carb'd monster of a VW back in the early 80's. I wondered how his 350 hp motor and 4 puck clutch would have faired in my brothers 4,000 lb. pick up :rolleyes:. That was impressive, the guy's sled hooked up for sure :eek:!

You made a comment about the responsiveness of the TRA in an environment of skipping over whoops. Does your experience with the TRA lend you to think that the TRA is not as responsive as the CVT fixed roller design when it comes to reacting to the rapid loading and unloading of the driven tires? Thanks for your input, by the way.

Baxter

Sep 24, 2011
OHIO
I was just referring to CVT in general.I personally would think the TRA would hold up better.I was a CAT guy myself but that's why I'm saying I don't care for a swinging weight/ramp design that they used.The pins and weights get wear in them, bind and slap around, consistancy goes down.Your taking my memory back a little but there is no Spider to break in a TRA either.Keep in mind I have not seen your specific clutch.They may have addressed some of those issues.Do not take anything I'm telling you as your ticket.I tried to get a hold of him today but it was crazy, late in the day, in the shop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000