THE SICKNESS; Do ya ever get it?

FBT

I got it now.
A subtle, yet very real upset stomach that comes along before every trip to the sand.
The first time I got it was on a warm summer night some 35 years ago, in the wee hours of the morning on a deserted flat, straight two-lane stretch of road we called "slaughterhouse" that gathered all of the fast boys in the north valley and a few from the foothills.
My buddies and I laughed at ourselves, and called it, "The Sickness"
I was from the foothill crew. We proved a point that morning.
The Sickness also came along when my pal Ronnie and I were up to our necks in the dirt-track scene, he was a helluva driver and I was his crew chief. We raced with some very fast, well-funded outlaw superstock guys..and we were on a very low budget. We were just brash enough to be as fast as they were because we didn't know what we didn't know, and we built some very fast, and very sneaky race cars. Not illegal, but out of the box.We we thinkers, ya know?
He and I would always get The Sickness when we were loading up the car to head for a race somewhere.
When I started to hit the sand, I found The Sickness returning.
Every time a trip got close, after I'd been working on whatever sand toy I had built at the time, at some point in the loading up and heading out process, it would come on.
The Sickness.
It always peaks about 3 miles from the Sand Mountain turnoff on Hwy 50, and as soon as I can see The Mountain from the highway it slowly starts to subside.
I have a full-on case of it right now.
We are leaving this afternoon for the first trip in a year, and I just finished installing the Cognito LT kit. It is all loaded, and pointed out the road.
I didn't sleep much last night.
We will stop in Reno and first visit Cabelas, (can't pass the place up) then visit my #1 son and his girlfriend and see the house he just bought. (Proud Dad here) My #2 son, his lady, and my granddaughter will follow us up there later today. We'll BBQ at the house tonight and then, after probably not sleeping much tonight either, we will all run on out to The Mountain in the morning, trying to be there around 10ish.
Man, I got it..bad this time.
I guess it is a good thing, proff that even at 52, after reconstructive back surgery, colorectal cancer, and a mnor heart attack, I can still get wound up about something I love.
Anbody else get this, or is it just me that gets The Sickness?

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
I to experience the sickness every time i take a trip to the sand always have trouble sleeping the night before i leave and it doesnt usually go away till i take my teryx off the trailer and start to ride.:D

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
I GET THE SICKNESS. I USED TO GET IT BAD WHEN I WAS RACING 3WHEELERS. I ALSO WAS INVOLVED IN DIRT TRACK RACING. I NEVER RACED BUT WORKED FOR THE LOCAL DIRT TRACK ASSOCIATION & LOTS OF OFFROAD RACING PROMOTORS. I WOULD GET IT BEFORE EACH RACE. FOR ME THE SICKNESS GOES AWAY WHEN I USED TO SLIDE A LEG OVER THE QUAD & CRANK IT UP. NOW IT EASES WHEN I BUCKLE UP IN THE RHINO & THE WHEELS ARE MOVING. THANKS FOR POINTING OUT THAT MOST OF US ARE SICK, BUT LOVE THE CURE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000