The State of the UTV Desert Racing Class

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Actually most dom is coming from india and china. I guess i should have clarified 95% of material is imported and that is fact. I purchase all of our materials. I have asked my vendors where its coming from.

Regardless of where its coming from.....8f the certs are good there is nothing to worry about.

Brandon75173

Mar 25, 2014
Dallas, TX
Actually most dom is coming from india and china. I guess i should have clarified 95% of material is imported and that is fact. I purchase all of our materials. I have asked my vendors where its coming from.

Regardless of where its coming from.....8f the certs are good there is nothing to worry about.
What you do for you guys obviously works well, you have a great reputation. The suppliers I use don't buy any tubing from India or China. I also track where it comes from and keep the mill reports on most our projects. All to their own, as long as it works. The conversation isn't really about that. It's about building a quality fabricated product from the ground up. Not scabbing onto an inferior mid point for a racecar.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
I honestly don't know why everyone is so butthurt by the allowing of the turbo. In the end it's 4 rwhp difference between a stock N/A xp1000 and the xds turbo. Now if you reflash both of them and leave the stock cc displacement in both but you do some massaging on the polaris and some in the xds and its a level playing field.
Everyone knows that horsepower doesn't win or lose a race. It's about being prepared as best you can for the unexpected and having a clean race.

Reactions: BrianReno

Long Travel Ind.

Human Welding Machine - UTVUnderground Approved
May 31, 2009
anaheim

hey jim ask your vendor for domestic vs. import I happen to know one of your vendors pretty well and I know for a fact that she sells both domestic and import DOM

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Competitive Metals only sells Domestic Chromoly unless special ordered that you want import. Other steels they stock are imported, but it's also labeled and they can tell you if not.

For those who don't know Competitive Metals supplies most of the race shops in So Cal. Jimco, AlumiCraft, Stewart's Race Works, TLR all use Competitive.

Long Travel Ind.

Human Welding Machine - UTVUnderground Approved
May 31, 2009
anaheim
The majority of all the domestic chromoly comes from Plymouth mill which competitive, emj, tubular steel, tube service all buy from

a.p.s.

Mar 17, 2011
Went to works round in Havasu this weekend and had them drop a random tech inspection on some of the top erasers in the pro class just to make sure they're legit to my knowledge everyone that was Racing past but they mention that this what was being said about best of the desert made them do am engine tech.

UTVMike24

UTV RACER
Jun 11, 2013
Henderson Nevada
Also since all of the discussions on the UTV Underground about Tech..WORCs has hired a outside person that will Tech all cars..We had 4 Addict Racing cars in line at the same time including my own..It took a little longer but it was a true tech and inspection...Great job WORCs !!! And Jim from Addict also had his Pro SXS racer was chosen for a second inspection later plus some other teams for a motor check at their camp....I heard mostly Safety issues that came up... Safe SXS are a must !! Again this weekend had to be alteast 9 SXS rollovers..

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I honestly don't know why everyone is so butthurt by the allowing of the turbo. In the end it's 4 rwhp difference between a stock N/A xp1000 and the xds turbo. Now if you reflash both of them and leave the stock cc displacement in both but you do some massaging on the polaris and some in the xds and its a level playing field.
Everyone knows that horsepower doesn't win or lose a race. It's about being prepared as best you can for the unexpected and having a clean race.
Its not about the Maverick Turbo today.. its about the potential 10, 20, 30, 40+ HP advantages that Turbo engines of the future will have. People need to stop looking at just today and start thinking of the future of the class. Wait to see how much butthurt flows when Polaris drops a turbo, etc etc.. I can tell you right now, had Polaris dropped their Turbo first, I bet you that thing would have ended up in the Unlimited class..

Reactions: UTVMike24

a.p.s.

Mar 17, 2011
And just like Joey is saying the unlimited class is where they belong. Give the factory a spot to showcase both their NA and Boosted applications.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
I would take it a step further and limit the N/A class just as much as possible to only those add-ons actually strengthening the integrity of the car in general or (better yet) nothing besides tires and safety equipment.
What this accomplishes:
'Bone stock' forces both the factory (those who would race off the showroom floor) and the aftermarket to actually compete (quality-wise) on a national stage. If your car or parts don't hold up; you'd better hire better engineers, bean counters or take some money out of your promotional programs (ouch).
UTV racing suddenly becomes the origins of NASCAR. Cheating is easy to spot, more women (OVER 1/2 THE POTENTIAL MARKET) jump in, qualifiers all over the country spring up overnight, the public identifies with the drivers, you could go on and on.
We have a story. Suddenly, it isn't a bunch of guys from out west with permanent suntans. The OEM class guys (which most will identify with) will earn rides in the big races and the big race guys will enter OEM races to 'prove' that they are indeed the better drivers..HP or not. The one thing that I miss from the NCAA tournament is the stories. Years ago, they would forego advertising money to offer up a tear-jerker. This sport needs those stories; nobody is strategizing as to the concept and it's a mistake.
We're dreamers. Every single story of success in this country will take you back to somebody loading up everything that they had in a trailer and doing something.
If we don't give Joe or Jill six pack the opportunity to do this locally or promote it heavily/fund simple compliance inspections (which the factory can help with immensely on the production line) then you'll never replicate the grassroots recipe that has already been proven.

Reactions: Whattha

dude1782

Future UTV Racer
Jan 13, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
From the BITD website "Any UTV that is legal to race in the Pro Production class will not be allowed to race in the Unlimited UTV class. This rule is effective as of May 1, 2015." Did some people have a problem with pro cars moving to unlimited? Is it that common for pro cars to race in unlimited? I heard of some people doing it, but I think they all had plans to upgrade their cars with unlimited parts.

joncon

May 20, 2013
Las Vegas
From the BITD website "Any UTV that is legal to race in the Pro Production class will not be allowed to race in the Unlimited UTV class. This rule is effective as of May 1, 2015." Did some people have a problem with pro cars moving to unlimited? Is it that common for pro cars to race in unlimited? I heard of some people doing it, but I think they all had plans to upgrade their cars with unlimited parts.
I might be wrong but I think that is what Lacrecia did. I believe she readily admitted that it was about getting better finishes for her sponsors.

dude1782

Future UTV Racer
Jan 13, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure that I read she's gonna put unlimited suspension on her car and eventually more unlimited parts. So it sounds to me like she's only going to be faster and it's only going to get worse for whoever's complaining.

Reactions: facteryfmf

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
That sucks! As a racer in the Unlimited class I was glad to see her and others moving to our class no matter what their reasons were. I've had serious teething issues but once things are worked out I don't want to be racing 1 or 2 guys. I would much rather have larger car counts.

hardcharger81

Nov 30, 2014
Elk Grove CA
I think a lot of people have said that HP isn't an issue, that the belt drive is the equalizer. So, my concern isn't so much a turbo car or even being outdated by a slightly different car in a year or 2. My concern is what happens when an OEM comes out with a real transmission. Something with multiple gears, maybe paddle shifted? Where will that car land in terms of class?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000