Yamaha Turbo's and Superchargers

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
So who here has a Turbo or Supercharger on their Rhino? I know lots of guys are doing them on their RZR's and now C&G is making a kit for the Teryx. I am curious what people think of them, how they work, if the cost is worth the power gains?

Spill it...........

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
3 years ago, I took a brand new 660 Special Edition and built a turbo kit, and coverted to EFI using a Megasquirt ECU. The goal was to sell a bolt on kit that was reliable, and made great power.
In the end, I pulled it all off and returned the Rhino to stock. I still have everything sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
In my opinion, the turbo itself is the biggest challenge. I am sure it can be done, but there were no turbos readily available that met the needs of the Rhino. If you get the exhaust housing large enough, the compressor side is too big. If you size it for the compressor, the turbine is too small. It actually needs to be built like a diesel turbo, large exhaust with a small intake, relatively speaking.
Here's a pic on the dyno tuning the EFI.

By the way, exact same turbo in C&G's Teryx kit. I have two of them, anyone want to buy a cheap turbo?

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
I sold a friend an mpi supercharger for a stock 660. It made great power, really unbelievable. The clutch was the problem then. It would just smoke the wet clutch. After the pdm race clutch install it hooked up and ran good. Lots of heat though. Had to do a owe radiator and oil cooler and it ran much better with a mikuni 45 vs the stock cv carb. Bigger exhaust helped too.

To get set up as a dealer with mpi I had to buy 2 of them. I still have the 2nd one new on the shelf. I'm in it 3700 and can't get 2000 for it. They just don't sell.

Pahrump

PINK
Jul 17, 2009
Beaumont TX
I had a MPI setup with all the bells and whistles...I got it tuned and running GREAT...but as Court said neither could I keep clutches in it.....it would SMOKE the wet clutch, even after I did the Alba modded clutch thing it would smoke that...I think a dry clutch would have made it a great running machine, but at the time I did not want to go that route.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
thanks for the info guys!!! I appreciate all your replies.........Has anyone ran or know of anyone running the MCX USA Turbo Set Up? I would consider something liek this but I think becuase most of these are designed for stock platform chassis trying to make one fit in my car is virtually impossible....

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
turbos/superchargers and carb rhinos, do not go well together IMO, FI is way better.

But I agree, a well built 686 or bigger can do better in the long run. and work with a stock clutch setup also.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Bronco Dan has a turbo on a stock rhino that I drove while we were prerunning for Snowflake. The throttle lag was ridiculous. I dont think I could even get used to it, but when I got on it, and the turbo spooled, it pulled really well...

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
I sold a friend an mpi supercharger for a stock 660. It made great power, really unbelievable. The clutch was the problem then. It would just smoke the wet clutch. After the pdm race clutch install it hooked up and ran good. Lots of heat though. Had to do a owe radiator and oil cooler and it ran much better with a mikuni 45 vs the stock cv carb. Bigger exhaust helped too.

To get set up as a dealer with mpi I had to buy 2 of them. I still have the 2nd one new on the shelf. I'm in it 3700 and can't get 2000 for it. They just don't sell.
yep the car runs preatty good- but holy crap- im hoping you didnt wire that car up court. :eek: what a nightmare!

the intercooler gets really hot under that pass seat.

it does sound really cool with the bov everytime you let off. :D

I would just do a all motor build joey and be done with it.

AZCourt

Feb 11, 2009
No, not my future wire fire. I just sold him the parts, he wanted to try and make it all work himself.

AZCourt

Feb 11, 2009
No, but I have an extra if you need one. Told him to, but he was in such a hurry to make it go fast, he didnt want to pull the side of the engine off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000