turbo's in desert racing

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
My question is score doing the best option with the ECU. What if I change exhaust? What if I change air cleaner and plenum? How will that effect the tune/ecu. What if I have an old model with new ECU? Will my speed limiter be the same as everyone else? What happens if score has stock ECU reprogrammed wrong will they have another one available at each pit? Computers fail cant say they don't. I personally think a restrictor plate would be way better. Then I can tune my utv to the plate. What do you guys think?

Reactions: JoeyD23

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
So Per the rules no ECU changes are legal. Nor are piggyback units, so I would think most guys would stray away from exhausts and intake mods. You cant really add an exhaust in intake that make any power if you cant use a fuel controller.

Reactions: JoeyD23

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
And your really not going to gain anything except more boost pressure as the waste gates are going to exhaust any extra efficiency the engine would pick up as they are set to a predetermined pressure setting. The turbo engine is really going to have the gain at an elevation race.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
run it stock. anything else will get you protested if you win. putting an exhaust on it makes a nice power increase BUT the stock ECU runs dangerously lean coming into boost below 7000RPM. kinda a sticky situation. thats why the closer to stock you can keep it the less likely you are to (1) get protested (2) be called a cheat (3) run into any tuning problems or issues.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
So Per the rules no ECU changes are legal. Nor are piggyback units, so I would think most guys would stray away from exhausts and intake mods. You cant really add an exhaust in intake that make any power if you cant use a fuel controller.
what about stock exhaust that breaks right before turbo? Would you run stock air cleaner in the desert? What if you wanted to put ones of those fancy ump filters on and put it in clean air and now system runs to rich because of less air? Still my main question is what if stock ECU fails does score have another one at every pit? The best question does manufacter send ECU programed or does Dealer do it.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
run it stock. anything else will get you protested if you win. putting an exhaust on it makes a nice power increase BUT the stock ECU runs dangerously lean coming into boost below 7000RPM. kinda a sticky situation. thats why the closer to stock you can keep it the less likely you are to (1) get protested (2) be called a cheat (3) run into any tuning problems or issues.
What if there is a problem with ECU will score refund my $2800 for messing it? or better yet burns my motor down

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Can't afford a new transmission/motor every race in a Polaris all the big teams do it.
I'm not a big team and never had a trans issue, I have finished every mile of every race. And I can guarantee you the big teams are not replacing their trans every race. Its just maintenance.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I'm not a big team and never had a trans issue, I have finished every mile of every race. And I can guarantee you the big teams are not replacing their trans every race. Its just maintenance.
John angel #1 in points I am guessing 3 motor 3 trans by mid season maybe number after Baja 500, scott kieger #2 I am guessing atleast 2 motor and trans, branden sims #3 I think 2 motors and 2 trans, Justin lambert #4 1 motor and trans atleast, Brandon schueller #5 for both cars 5 motor and trans. Your top 5 atleast 1 to 2 guys have had to change trans in the field. But again my question was turbo cars.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
If you were score or bitd wouldn't a restrictor plate be easier to install and check at end of the race. There would be no mechanical failure or computer failure either. If you buy a stock ecu from BRP does it come programed yes or no.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
John angel #1 in points I am guessing 3 motor 3 trans by mid season maybe number after Baja 500, scott kieger #2 I am guessing atleast 2 motor and trans, branden sims #3 I think 2 motors and 2 trans, Justin lambert #4 1 motor and trans atleast, Brandon schueller #5 for both cars 5 motor and trans. Your top 5 atleast 1 to 2 guys have had to change trans in the field. But again my question was turbo cars.
We have only replaced one transmission in our 1000. It was end of season last year after the Baja 1000 and it has since become our spare. If anything our motor gets cracked open a couple of times a year to make sure nothing is trying to fall apart on us.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
To be fair to all sides in the spirit of the class make all teams run factory ECUs no Tuned Ecu for Polaris or Can Am guys. Nobody can Mod there ECU.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
To be fair to all sides in the spirit of the class make all teams run factory ECUs no Tuned Ecu for Polaris or Can Am guys. Nobody can Mod there ECU.
If you don't like the rules don't run the turbo. The turbo car has 14hp more power then the the XP. 15%. And with ECU mods it could probably make another 15%. SO there is a no ECU mod rule on the turbo cars, pretty simple. A modded ECU is not what will win a race in either car.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
If you don't like the rules don't run the turbo. The turbo car has 14hp more power then the the XP. 15%. And with ECU mods it could probably make another 15%. SO there is a no ECU mod rule on the turbo cars, pretty simple. A modded ECU is not what will win a race in either car.
Well 14hp aint much and they are just working with original equipment so they cant really squeeze much more out of it with the tiny Turbo. So if that's the case still then keeping it fair leave all cars stock or allow them to work with the factory original equipment to test its limitations. Like you say Turbos are not the deciding factor and I think they could end up being more trouble and a hard learning curve to make them survive the rigors of the desert. I know the Exhaust systems are a weak link with turbos and some different mods to the exhaust are needed for it not to come apart and Turbo Race guys will figure it out the hard way. Kinda funny how guys are so worried about the Turbo still .

Reactions: sand shark

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Well 14hp ain't much and they are just working with original equipment so they cant really squeeze much more out of it with the tiny Turbo. So if that's the case still then keeping it fair leave all cars stock or allow them to work with the factory original equipment to test its limitations. Like you say Turbos are not the deciding factor and I think they could end up being more trouble and a hard learning curve to make them survive the rigors of the desert. I know the Exhaust systems are a weak link with turbos and some different mods to the exhaust are needed for it not to come apart and Turbo Race guys will figure it out the hard way. Kinda funny how guys are so worried about the Turbo still .
It's so funny how the turbo guys are the ones whining. You can't have your cake and eat it to. These are the rules. Build a car that exploits the rules the best way you know how. With more heat comes more issues. I guarantee Cam am is not making their exhaust manifolds out of the best material because they have a price to keep for the Stock unit. So when you run it Wide Open for hours and hours parts are going to fail. The Turbo is going to be a hard animal to tame from a reliability stand point. But its a 14hp gain. I bet the Turbo cars will have more drive train issues also due to increased power levels.

This race series is not about who is the fastest, it is about the guy who can drive the fastest with the least issues. I think I passed Brandon Sims at Parker like what seemed like 6 times at Parker in January as he seemed to haul ass and have to pull over to fix something. He passed me back like 7 times. Johnny Angal passed like 4 times as he had a few issues that day at SS300. Then passed me when we were pulled over with our first issue beyond a Flat we had at Henderson. I prove the theory that you don't have to be the fastest guy to top ten if you just survive. I was told Silver State was like a freeway and that was a rough deal. But we finished and would have been maybe 8th with out skid plate damage and a shredded belt in the primary.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
It's so funny how the turbo guys are the ones whining. You can't have your cake and eat it to. These are the rules. Build a car that exploits the rules the best way you know how. With more heat comes more issues. I guarantee Cam am is not making their exhaust manifolds out of the best material because they have a price to keep for the Stock unit. So when you run it Wide Open for hours and hours parts are going to fail. The Turbo is going to be a hard animal to tame from a reliability stand point. But its a 14hp gain. I bet the Turbo cars will have more drive train issues also due to increased power levels.

This race series is not about who is the fastest, it is about the guy who can drive the fastest with the least issues. I think I passed Brandon Sims at Parker like what seemed like 6 times at Parker in January as he seemed to haul ass and have to pull over to fix something. He passed me back like 7 times. Johnny Angal passed like 4 times as he had a few issues that day at SS300. Then passed me when we were pulled over with our first issue beyond a Flat we had at Henderson. I prove the theory that you don't have to be the fastest guy to top ten if you just survive. I was told Silver State was like a freeway and that was a rough deal. But we finished and would have been maybe 8th with out skid plate damage and a shredded belt in the primary.
Not whining I just think someone/manufacter has to mess with ecu to make sure it is right in what standard or who's standard. Can manufacter change setting on these ecu when sent out? Can who ever checking them with there fancy machine change them? Sounds like a huge can of worms to me. wouldn't a fancy restrictor plate fix all those problems. and who in the hell keeps deleting stuff.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
The ECU checking could be very simple. SCORE would need the BUDS system Can Am uses and download the stock ECU settings. Then take a brand new ECU and upload the settings. Put it in a car to verify it works properly and then seal it to be placed in the race car.

Don't think it would be a big deal as there are not many turbo Mavericks racing and certainly not many in SCORE.

Honestly, I don't think the turbo needs much modification in the ECU other than raising the RPM and speed limiters. A stock turbo Maverick will do 80+ MPH. Really can't maintain that type of speed for long before the belt goes. Plus tire size and suspension are going to limit you top speed sustainability anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000