Ultimate lightweight 30" desert tire?

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I'm looking for a good light weight 30" tire for the desert. I say light because I have a 900 and don't want to run a 40# tire and loose a lot of power. There are a few I have been eyeballing latey like the Gmz kahuna, maxxis Coronado, and the one that a lot of people seem to like the Kanati mongrel. All seem to be about the 30-33# range.
It would need to hold its own not only on hard pack and rocks but in the soft sand/ sand washes. I know all three tires have completed the KOH so they have to be good.
It's hard to find a newer tire review since utv guide did their's in 2013 and several new tires have come out since then.

So let's hear what you guys got. I'd prefer a tire on the lighter side but let's hear about them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Itp ultracross is a no brainer

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: ROTAX

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
How is the traction in soft sand? Like sand dunes and washes?

I have never had someone pass me in the race car in the soft stuff. I have passed plenty in the soft stuff. So I would say it is pretty good. Parker 250 has a long sand wash, blue water is really soft, and we are super fast on both courses with that tire.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
34-35#s on my scale

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
That's not bad. I hear a lot of good about them but have heard the traction in sand is lacking compared to others. I've seen them at Moab and those things sure do seem to stick!

May 6, 2013
Yucaipa , Ca
I ran the GBC Mongrel for years on my past two cars, both XP 900'S. I have recently switched to ITP and could not be happier ! I switched to ITP because at every race I was changing multiple flats while everyone who was running ITP'S was passing me while I was changing my tire.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
That's not bad. I hear a lot of good about them but have heard the traction in sand is lacking compared to others. I've seen them at Moab and those things sure do seem to stick!

my 1000 should have a little more power than your 900, and traction is not an issue for me

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Would a bajacross be a better all around than a ultracross's or are they that good for all around? I have blackwater evo's now and been happy with them. They are just small and pretty aggressive for an all around tire. They did ok in rocks but I think lacked the extra biteing edges of the other types.
I got a line in some almost new Maxxis Coronado's for a great price I might try. Mitch Guthrie ran them in KOH so they must be fairly good.

Last edited:

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Ultracross is my fav, I raced on the Baja cross also

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Seems to be a unanimous victory over here for the Ultracross.

What kind of mileage can I expect to see out these under semi average driving conditions? As in not trying to win the race everywhere I go. lol I have 915 miles on my stock Bighorns and I will be lucky to make it to 1500. They are about 50% or so.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I'm assuming you'd know with the name trailplug.... Lol

LOL. I haven't had to plug an Ultracross yet, but I do plug up trails with my LT'd T4, plus I've been know to run outta gas LMAO

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Seems to be a unanimous victory over here for the Ultracross.

What kind of mileage can I expect to see out these under semi average driving conditions? As in not trying to win the race everywhere I go. lol I have 915 miles on my stock Bighorns and I will be lucky to make it to 1500. They are about 50% or so.
we raced the entire Baja 1000 last year, 1275 miles, i got one flat at race mile 950 (bad rock garden, sharp rock), the other 3 tires survived the whole race.

Reactions: Rynomx785

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
we raced the entire Baja 1000 last year, 1275 miles, i got one flat at race mile 950 (bad rock garden, sharp rock), the other 3 tires survived the whole race.
Thanks. I was kind of wondering how long they would last not running race pace. Is the tread on the softer side because it is a race tire?

What did the rear tires look like after 1200 plus miles of Baja? Toast?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000