UTV COST

Don Westlie

Sep 1, 2016
Curious what it costs to build, maintain etc for a short course SxS. With the addition of them to TORC I'm looking at that avenue for my Son vs getting in a buggy. Makes more sense with the marketing and TV since it is a PRO class.

Rules state the PRO Stock class must be stock wheel base and width. Is there a brand that has a leg up with this rule? Anything I should watch out for in a used SxS? Transmission preference? Etc...

Anything that you can shed light on beyond what already asked is appreciated. Coming from kart racing on asphalt so everything is new to us. I will be in Crandon this weekend so I'll be pestering many of you LOL.

Good luck to everything that is there!

Thanks

Apr 4, 2014
Morning Don, sorry for such a late reply but I think I can help you, or perhaps some other people interested in racing. If TORC is strict on width then that's a bummer. SXS's are terribly prone to roll over from their high ride heights and high roll center. Yes you can lower the car, but can only go so far. Here's a breakdown for the approximate costs of building a race UTV:

Car: 20-25K
Roll Cage(with custom tubes to meet rules): 2K
Front Control Arms: 1.5K
Tie-Rods: .3K
Training Arms: 1.5K
Radius Rods: .5K
Rear Sway Bar: .5K
Front Sway Bar: .5-1K
Radiator Relocation Process: .5K
Front/Rear Bumper: .8K
Seat: .5K
Wheel/Tire(w/ spares): 3K
Exhaust/Tuner: 1.5K
Spare Axles: .5K
Spare Parts: .5K
Vehicle Wrap: .8K

Total: 32.2-37.7K

You can buy used for about 20-25 though. In my opinion the maintenance is key, and obviously buying used is a risk. Ask lots of questions, my recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000