UTV Racing Pit Services???

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I have an idea to start a UTV specific pit service. Something like a Mag7 or a Baja pits but only focus on UTV's. Tires, fuel, recovery, welding, parts and misc fab. I would offer this service at SCORE and B.I.T.D races. Please comment or email me at [email protected].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I suppose, just like everything else, it would depend on cost..... I think I'd be safe in saying you could get more than a couple customers for the PURE races out at Cal City.... A lot of people are wanting to try out this entry level series but have a tough time rounding up a couple friends to go sit in the desert.... Definitely will be interested in either helping you out or purchasing your services.... I'll stay tuned...

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i wish M.O.R.E. would add UTV class to all of its races. i seen them race once, but hoping at all the so cal series.

Mar 7, 2012
menifee ca
I would also like to help if help was needed. I think it sounds like a good idea. Good help and and pit crew is hard to come by. That could be because most my friends are flakes lol.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Here is my thought. I was one of the guys who helped arranged to have Mag 7 at all the MDR Superstition races several years ago. The idea was to offer affordable pit support to smaller teams who did not have the funding for the big races or have crews. I think it was $40 or $50 for 2-3 pits around a 50 mile course. It worked out well and Mag 7 got just enough people signed up to cover their expenses. Plus it was a good training ground for Mag 7 to train and work with new volunteers who wanted to help Mag 7. I believe Carlo's with Baja pits was also doing something similar at the CODE races.

What I would do is contact Carlos with Baja Pits or Thomas with Mag 7. Tell them you would like to volunteer, but you want to act as the "UTV Specialized" crew. In other words you would be part of Baja Pits or Mag 7 team, but you would be the UTV guys on the team. You would be placed around the courses in the places UTV's would need the most help and according to fuel mileage. But you would also be in a place that Mag or Baja would also have other teams needing support, and they would have other guys with you.

By doing this you would have Baja Pits or Mag 7's knowledge, equipment and logistics, and a helping hand. So when a class 1600 car comes in they run the pit and you assist if needed & when a UTV comes in you guys run the stop and they will assist you if needed.

It would be very expensive to start your own pit service as you need allot of equipment, vehicles and people to cover even a 250 mile course. Plus each team that uses your service will need to bring their tires & other spares they want you to have. So now you need to transport all that and have a staging area to pick up & return those items. Plus you will need to work with the fuel companies if that is required for that race. Both Mag 7 & Baja Pits are established with all those people.

If it was me and I was looking to start a "UTV Specific" pit service I would really consider partnering up with an established club. Trust me the clubs would love the help and if you are also bring racers to them then it is a win-win. BTW if you think what those clubs are charging is to much, and that is why you want to start your own. You would be surprised at how much it cost to run, and how little they actually get. These clubs are not in the profit business. Both groups are typically subsidized by sponsors. For example Baja Pits works with General Tire and offers free pit support to General tire users, but the money General gives Baja pits subsidizes the club all year by helping get new or replacing equipment as needed during the year.

Plus as you grow your clientele you can tell the pit club which races are big or important for the UTV guys and many times they can allow you to use the clubs equipment for those races. For example if you wanted to support the PURE series then you would go to those races under the clubs banner, but it would be mostly UTV guys who would volunteer and help.

This is where I would start before starting my own pit support club.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Great post. This certainly makes sense. Maybe these folks should start advertising their needs should they decide to branch out. It would give those who wish to volunteer a point of contact and start them on their way.

Thanks!!!
:)

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Here is my thought. I was one of the guys who helped arranged to have Mag 7 at all the MDR Superstition races several years ago. The idea was to offer affordable pit support to smaller teams who did not have the funding for the big races or have crews. I think it was $40 or $50 for 2-3 pits around a 50 mile course. It worked out well and Mag 7 got just enough people signed up to cover their expenses. Plus it was a good training ground for Mag 7 to train and work with new volunteers who wanted to help Mag 7. I believe Carlo's with Baja pits was also doing something similar at the CODE races.

What I would do is contact Carlos with Baja Pits or Thomas with Mag 7. Tell them you would like to volunteer, but you want to act as the "UTV Specialized" crew. In other words you would be part of Baja Pits or Mag 7 team, but you would be the UTV guys on the team. You would be placed around the courses in the places UTV's would need the most help and according to fuel mileage. But you would also be in a place that Mag or Baja would also have other teams needing support, and they would have other guys with you.

By doing this you would have Baja Pits or Mag 7's knowledge, equipment and logistics, and a helping hand. So when a class 1600 car comes in they run the pit and you assist if needed & when a UTV comes in you guys run the stop and they will assist you if needed.

It would be very expensive to start your own pit service as you need allot of equipment, vehicles and people to cover even a 250 mile course. Plus each team that uses your service will need to bring their tires & other spares they want you to have. So now you need to transport all that and have a staging area to pick up & return those items. Plus you will need to work with the fuel companies if that is required for that race. Both Mag 7 & Baja Pits are established with all those people.

If it was me and I was looking to start a "UTV Specific" pit service I would really consider partnering up with an established club. Trust me the clubs would love the help and if you are also bring racers to them then it is a win-win. BTW if you think what those clubs are charging is to much, and that is why you want to start your own. You would be surprised at how much it cost to run, and how little they actually get. These clubs are not in the profit business. Both groups are typically subsidized by sponsors. For example Baja Pits works with General Tire and offers free pit support to General tire users, but the money General gives Baja pits subsidizes the club all year by helping get new or replacing equipment as needed during the year.

Plus as you grow your clientele you can tell the pit club which races are big or important for the UTV guys and many times they can allow you to use the clubs equipment for those races. For example if you wanted to support the PURE series then you would go to those races under the clubs banner, but it would be mostly UTV guys who would volunteer and help.

This is where I would start before starting my own pit support club.
I agree with this post. Before starting new I would at minimum get a sense of all that goes into a pit program like this.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Carlos has a wheel straightening shop in ElCajon so while I was there getting my 100th ProLite wheel straightened he told me he is also Baja Pits. I told him I was debating entering codys WORCS 570 in the 1000 (because racing WORCS, LOORRS, and the Regionals leaves me with too much free time) he said would support whatever came through.
Maybe give him a call as well Rusty.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Yes during the Baja 1000 or any Baja race, both Mag 7 and Baja Pits will support any vehicle entered. I believe Baja Pits even offered a lower rate for UTV's at this years Baja 1000 for full pit service.

I have been fortunate to have a large enough crew that I never needed outside pit support. But I can tell you at both the Baja 500 & 1000 we always paid Baja Pits for the limited service, and the one or two pits we knew would be tough for our crews to get in and out of, those are the pits we paid for full service and gave a tire too in case we needed it.

Both Org's are great and you wont go wrong with volunteering or using either one.

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
Ide like to know where Mag 7 was when we needed them in baja. We paid them for fuel and when we approached our fuel stop they were nowhere to be found. Little disappointing. Thanks for others up the road to sell us some fuel.

I think its a great idea Rusty !!!!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Ide like to know where Mag 7 was when we needed them in baja. We paid them for fuel and when we approached our fuel stop they were nowhere to be found. Little disappointing. Thanks for others up the road to sell us some fuel.

I think its a great idea Rusty !!!!
Call Mag 7 and ask them. If you paid for a service and they were not there to help you, then call them out and ask for an explanation. Why was that pit closed and gone?

BDorland

“Plan Ahead to Get Aheadâ€
Jul 4, 2013
I'm working on racing The Mint 400 this year, as a newbie I will definitely need some support. Please keep me in mind if this works out. Anyone else out there that wants to get involved feel free to hit me up. I just started a new post for the build and I'm looking for any advice on that too.
http://www.utvunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13861

Last edited:

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
Call Mag 7 and ask them. If you paid for a service and they were not there to help you, then call them out and ask for an explanation. Why was that pit closed and gone?
I have no idea yet why they were gone. We were approaching the mile marker and as we got closer we kept slowing down only to find what looked like an abandoned camp and a large black trash bag. Maybe our gas was in the bag ?? Was also rumored that our guys had to get out and knock on a camper and ask for fuel as everyone was asleep. LOL that was kinda funny. I know we were tired!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000