UTVRA rule Question

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
i have a rule question for the UTVRA rule book.I just built a rzr xp2 to race. If i wanted to race a rzr xp4. according to the rules i would have to sell my car then by a rzr xp4 and then build it for 30,000 correct. Since i already have rzr xp2 built wouldnt it be cheaper to cut mine and extend it to rzr xp4 wheel base. Was wondering what people thought of this idea. I was just thinking about my pocket book.

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
i was thinking the same thing but i was thinking we would need to buy a rzr xp900 4 seater chassis then just move the rest of our stuff over

jerome

Dec 8, 2009
peoria az
it was legal before when cook had his rzr s turned into a 4 wheelbase they bought a chassis and swithced everything over. rito a man of your money 30K is nothing to you! you should buy us all a xp-4

Dec 20, 2011
The rules state that in the Pro production UTV class frames may not be cut and streched. You would need to purchase a 4 seat frame and switch over the parts from the xp 2 seat to the xp 4 seat.

crdesigns

Aug 18, 2010
Cory said frame. That doesnt mean $17,000 for a 4 seater, just the cost of a frame which is minimal.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
i know i could purchase a frame but was trying to get out of the $1500 frame when i could cut it and put exact material in for $30. and also have to re make all of rear trailing arm pivot point rear shock mouts and all the other crap. but i guess it just labor nothing else.Just the small stuff.

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
I know nothing of frames being available from Polaris. I was just joking about current XP guys converting over to the XP 4 for the wheelbase increase.

I can say this. If you roll the machine with the stock cage it can sometimes tweak the frame at the mounting points. This is no biggie if your a fabricator, you can just do your magic and voila, good as new. But for most dealerships, they will not fix it but require a frame change. Most insurance companies do the same thing. This is not a Polaris thing, it happens to every SXS made, its just that so many of those machines are sold that by sheer numbers, you see old frames laying around in not that bad of shape. I just saw one yesterday in the Phoenix area and it could have been used by any racer that has the ability to fix things (it was a regular XP frame so dont get excited :D).

So, let the XP 4 get out there in some numbers, let the casual non racing folks have a few tip overs (not wishing any hard crashes on anyone) and if your in good with your local dealer, they will just give it to you if they dont have to send it back to Polaris or if its an insurance job, they sit on the old parts for 90 days then off to the trash and scrap yard they go.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I know nothing of frames being available from Polaris. I was just joking about current XP guys converting over to the XP 4 for the wheelbase increase.

I can say this. If you roll the machine with the stock cage it can sometimes tweak the frame at the mounting points. This is no biggie if your a fabricator, you can just do your magic and voila, good as new. But for most dealerships, they will not fix it but require a frame change. Most insurance companies do the same thing. This is not a Polaris thing, it happens to every SXS made, its just that so many of those machines are sold that by sheer numbers, you see old frames laying around in not that bad of shape. I just saw one yesterday in the Phoenix area and it could have been used by any racer that has the ability to fix things (it was a regular XP frame so dont get excited :D).

So, let the XP 4 get out there in some numbers, let the casual non racing folks have a few tip overs (not wishing any hard crashes on anyone) and if your in good with your local dealer, they will just give it to you if they dont have to send it back to Polaris or if its an insurance job, they sit on the old parts for 90 days then off to the trash and scrap yard they go.
Not sure of Polaris' policy, but I'm an Arctic Cat dealer. When we replace frames, Arctic Cat requires me to cut the VIN number sections out of the old frame, then send them to AC before they will send me a new frame. Trying to buy a frame outright, by itself, runs into problems with Motor Vehicle MSO laws. Now maybe Polaris produces non-VIN numbered frames, for competition use only. If so, that would work, but I'm not sure how the VIN thing would be.
I know that also happened on a mx bike I tweaked the frame on, the manufacture required the dealer to to cut out the VIN numbered portions of the frame and return them before they would send a new frame.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
I know this is slightly off topic, but the current rules are pretty inconsistent with it comes to lengthening the wheelbase on a car. On a car with trailing arms, you can move the rear diff since the arm mounts don't move. On an a-arm car, you could move the diff, but a-arm mounts must stay in place. No good way to add wheelbase to an a-arm car.

Seems like the rule should be that regardless of arm style, diffs can be moved +/- X inches.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I know this is slightly off topic, but the current rules are pretty inconsistent with it comes to lengthening the wheelbase on a car. On a car with trailing arms, you can move the rear diff since the arm mounts don't move. On an a-arm car, you could move the diff, but a-arm mounts must stay in place. No good way to add wheelbase to an a-arm car.

Seems like the rule should be that regardless of arm style, diffs can be moved +/- X inches.
Jon, my rear diff is moved back in the chassis, then I had J-arms built to lengthen the wheelbase. On my car, it worked out, the area behind the OEM diff mount actually works better as far as clearance for the axles throughout the up and down travel. The axles are slightly exposed, but so are the trailing arm axles on XP's, Wildcats and Can Ams.
I only pick up about 6 inches by doing this, not enough perhaps, but still more than it had.

Here's a pic that the fab shop (or should I say chop shop) took as they were moving it back ..

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
Not sure of Polaris' policy, but I'm an Arctic Cat dealer. When we replace frames, Arctic Cat requires me to cut the VIN number sections out of the old frame, then send them to AC before they will send me a new frame. Trying to buy a frame outright, by itself, runs into problems with Motor Vehicle MSO laws. Now maybe Polaris produces non-VIN numbered frames, for competition use only. If so, that would work, but I'm not sure how the VIN thing would be.
I know that also happened on a mx bike I tweaked the frame on, the manufacture required the dealer to to cut out the VIN numbered portions of the frame and return them before they would send a new frame.

No, you can get a blank frame and its up to you to take it down to DMV with your title and get the numbers stamped into it. At least thats how it works in Arizona. If its an OEM warranty deal, they might have you send something in, but otherwise, no. Honda is the only OEM that made/make you send in steering stems or cut off parts with vin's on them. I guess we can add AC to the list.

On a side note, when are we going to see the pictures of the Wildcat BITD car build??????????

Impact Fabs

Jan 14, 2012
When we replace frames we have to cut the vin numbers off then send to Babbits and they stamp the serial number in the frame.I am needing more of the frame,motor trans and diffs. I think reading you guys have convinced me to run the 4.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
The frame or the unit? XP900 4 seaters have been available for a few weeks now. The issue is that dealers have huge waiting lists for them, so finding a dealer with a unit in stock is an issue, but technically the SxS's are available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000