UTVUnderground / Can-Am Maverick Turbo BUILD - #WWYD2AM

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

The day is finally here! #WWYD2AM voting is live and the first pictures of our epic Maverick X ds Turbo “BUGOUT” are ready to be shared!

What It looked Like Upon Arrival to Berts Mega Mall:

The (almost) Finished Product:

UTVUnderground.com “BUG-OUT”
2015 Can-Am Maverick Xds – #WWYD2AM Build

The Maverick Xds is an interesting platform for us here at UTVUnderground.com. Of course our natural instinct is to turn it into the ultimate dune machine, but that's too easy for us to do! Instead, we have opted to create the ultimate BUG OUT machine, you know, the machine you run too when the zombie apocalypse hits! You need something that can go anywhere and do it fast!

First order of business is to black the entire machine out! We want to blend with the night, plus all black just looks sinister and bad-ass. So we murdered out everything from the coils to the seats to the wheels! We left a trace of the Manta Green on the front headlight bezel.

SDR Motorsports took this project under their wing with us, developing a cage and roof rack along with opening doors. The roof rack is key in our design. It allows for storage and allows you to carry everything you need should you need to go a long way with just you and your machine. Of course everything is BLACK!

Wheels and tires are important and when the end of the world hits you have to be prepared with a set of shoes that are going to last, so we went BIG! We installed a set of the baddest wheels and tires money can buy, 15” OMF 3 piece NX-G2 wheels with a set of 30” BFGoodrich KM2 Mud-Terrain tires. We can run anywhere on these bad boys and never worry about breaking a wheel or tire! Mud, Dirt, Sand, Street, we can go everywhere!!

You can’t bug out and not have lights! We wanted enough lights that we could make our Maverick Xds look like a UFO at night! Our Bug Out machine is equipped with a bunch of insanely bright Vision-X LEDs that are sure to turn night into day! The list of lights is big, the biggest we have ever used on a build. We installed 1 - 39” EVO LED Bar on the roof. We have 6 – 2” Solo Pods all around our roof to light up our surroundings 360 degrees! 2 – 3.5” Optimus Pods for additional driving light. 6 Pro Pods in RED to give us a mean looking under-glow and 1 Billet Pod Dome Light in RED to make sure our interior is lit properly!

You can’t build a quality off-road machine and not have the best suspension! Now, don’t get us wrong, our factory set up is nice on the Maverick Xds, but we wanted to go a little bit further in the set up. While we maintained our factory FOX 2.5 Podium, RC2 shocks with Bottom-Out Control front and back, we did upgrade our arms to Madigan Motorsports new +3 kit designed specifically for the Xds! This kit gives us a wider stance and increased suspension travel allowing us to go faster over bigger bumps!

You can’t be traveling in an apocalypse and be uncomfortable and that's where the boys at Twisted Stitch came in. SDR installed a set of comfortable Twisted Stitch bucket seats with Twisted Stitch 5 point harnesses. Not only are these seats comfortable and safe, they also look insane with a custom black design.
To enhance our interior comfort we also added in a Can-Am / BRP complete audio system. This will keep us entertained on those long trips running from zombies!

To make sure we know where we are going we have installed the factory Can-Am / BRP Garmin Montana 650T GPS. This will allow us to always know where we are. We paired that with a handheld VHF/UHF/FM hand held radio so we can listen in and communicate to others outside of our machine!

We think this Maverick X ds is the ultimate off-road big out machine. Not only is it functional it looks great! The Turbo Rotax 1000 V-Twin has the power needed to go anywhere and combined with our accessories and modifications we think this is the ultimate Maverick Xds. So when you ask, What Would You Do 2 A Maverick? This is exactly what we would do, turn it into the ultimate BUG OUT machine and leave all our other toys behind!

Build List
SDR Motorsports cage, doors, roof rack, wiring, build assembly
Madigan Motorsports +3 chromoly suspension system
FOX Podium RC2 2.5 Shocks w/ BOC
Twisted Stitch Vortex Seats w/ 5-Point Twisted Stitch race harnesses
Vision-X LED Lights (1) 39” EVO LED Bar – (6) 2” Solo LED Pods (2) 3.5” Optimus LED Pods (6) Pro LED Pods – RED (1) Billet Dome LED – RED
OMF Performance 15” NX-G2 3 Piece Bead Locks
BFGoodrich Tires 30” KM2 Mudd-Terrain
BRP / Can-Am – Full Audios System
BRP / Can-Am Garmin Montana 650T GPS w/ US Maps
Rugged Radios Dual Band VHF / UHF / FM Handheld Race Radio
Full Throttle Powder Coating

Most Importantly, VOTE HERE! Show your support for this build so we can do more epic builds like this in the future!

We are finishing up bits and pieces over the course of the next couple weeks so keep an eye out here for updated build pics, and please VOTE VOTE VOTE

Huge thanks to Can-Am for letting us be a part of this competition and to the guys at SDR for killing it on the build.

Stay tuned for more updates......

Last edited:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Can you share the other 4 media outlets' names? Just curious. Go get 'em Joey. Build that car to Badass standards. I can mail you a big green "M" if you need.:D

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I made the trip up to SDR today to check out our new 2015 Maverick X ds Turbo. First off, big thank you to Can-Am for selecting us to be 1 of 5 outlets to get the machine wayyy early! Super stoked on that!! Thanks guys!

Huge thanks to Art and the crew at Berts Mega Mall for getting the machine together and delivered over to Tim and his team at SDR Motorsports. We headed up and spent the afternoon walking around the machine and laying down ideas for our "What Would You Do 2 A Maverick?" contest build. Needless to say, we are coming with it!

Yes, I did drive it.. However, I am not going to contribute to the retarded post drive review of my intense rip around the block on a black top side street. This is an off-road vehicle. I'll leave those reviews to the sales guys at dealerships and to the fan boys who like to watch cell phone videos of side street drag races.. lol My review will come in a couple weeks when I actually use the machine to the fullest. Its not going to take a rocket scientist to tell you what we can already see.... the sucker is fast and the rear end works much better, the shocks are better, etc... Anyway, I sound pessimistic I know.. I am easily annoyed.. lol

What I will say is this. The machine is quick, its smooth, and yes its fast. Its not very loud, no big noticeable waste-gate dump (psssshhhhhh) but its snappy. On polished concrete it will easily melt the tires off.. yes I said polished concrete.. don't worry, I have a video of that too... lol Actually, that was super fun. Something about a burnout is awesome in anything. Whats not awesome is shooting hot rubber all over some dudes white toolbox and up and over the fenders onto my black t-shirt which disguised the hot rubber until I sat in my tan leather seats in my truck.. yup, you can figure out what happened.. lol

Anyway, the machine is sick. The fit and finish is what you would expect from Can-Am and while it is new and different in certain ways, its still very much the Maverick we all know and enjoy. Cut the thing off at the rear firewall and everything from their forward appears to be the same with exception of the bigger 2.5" front FOX shocks. The magic is all between the seats, well actually its sitting just below the front of the bed. The Turbo isn't big but it gets the job done. The intercooler set up is nice and looks clean. I forsee a lot of custom louvered intercooler set ups from the aftermarket. Exhaust looks to be fairly easy to modify. Rear suspension is going to be tricky for companies to build aftermarket wise I think? I guess no more difficult then the Mavericks of past but the lower arms on this thing are big. Not material / tubing wise, but just the sheer size between the front and rear pivots. Our Maverick has already left SDR for a quick trip to Madigan Motorsports where new suspension (LONG TRAVEL) will be drawn up for our ride. Not sure if Tom Madigan is planning to use a boxed lower design but because of the size I could see a definite weight increase over the stock tubing. He's the expert so I will trust him there.

So I am blabbing I know.. sort of barfing info out of my fingertips. I am excited about this machine and this build. I want to win the competition, but more than that I want to represent our site and the sponsors of this build and do them and you all justice with this build. I would say almost all of our builds have been legit. I plan to make sure this one is what you all would expect. Our timeline is short, so we can't go too crazy, but SDR, Madigan, our team at UTVUG and the others we select will get it done, I have no doubts!

Hopefully I can drop our walk around video tomorrow.. its pretty fun..

Stay tuned..

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
wait a minute , I thought this was a Polaris ,one way,biased, paid off website:).LOL.... Where's all the apologies to joey,after all it's not a Polaris and he's promoting another bad ass sxs ....Just one step closer to the ultimate sxs.Cant wait to see the finished product of this one....

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
wait a minute , I thought this was a Polaris ,one way,biased, paid off website:).LOL.... Where's all the apologies to joey,after all it's not a Polaris and he's promoting another bad ass sxs ....Just one step closer to the ultimate sxs.Cant wait to see the finished product of this one....
Doesn't matter. Fact is we have been building, doing stories on, and playing with Kawasaki's, Arctic Cats and Can-Ams all while the haters chose to focus on who was paying us to create bad ass videos and what not. I always shrugged the "biased" comments off. We know what we do here.

With that said, we aren't being paid to do this Maverick build. But the fact that we are one of only 5 outlets selected is pretty cool and says something about our site. I am stoked to be a part of this.

Thanks for the props.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
cant wait to see it. I sure hope it has that badass enclosed rearend that SDR likes to make.

BTW i am going to send a contribution to SDR c/o joey D turbo maverick build. If you use it great, if not no big deal. I have been trying to get your address but no response. Maybe its a hint to buzz off, i dont know. anyways use it or not.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Doesn't matter. Fact is we have been building, doing stories on, and playing with Kawasaki's, Arctic Cats and Can-Ams all while the haters chose to focus on who was paying us to create bad ass videos and what not. I always shrugged the "biased" comments off. We know what we do here.

With that said, we aren't being paid to do this Maverick build. But the fact that we are one of only 5 outlets selected is pretty cool and says something about our site. I am stoked to be a part of this.

Thanks for the props.
winning and getting the machine for free sounds like a good pay day lol. joey are you going to do stock write up or wait tell after everything is done just wondering.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
winning and getting the machine for free sounds like a good pay day lol. joey are you going to do stock write up or wait tell after everything is done just wondering.
I would like to but for the sake of the build I am getting going on doing the build. All the other media guys are going in a couple weeks to Glamis to test the Maverick so I am sure there will be a lot of good reviews out there on it.

I don't know there is much to tell you guys that you don't already know.

Its pretty much the same Maverick you already know, except its faster and has better shocks and a much better rear suspension. I am sure there is a lot of good info you guys want to know which is how the clutch and belt life is going to be but that input only comes with days and weeks of riding. Not just a day in the desert. I can tell you from my time driving it, clutching felt great. Then again, it was on blacktop.

Its quick thats for sure!

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013

Click the image to check out our walkaround of the new Maverick and to see the video. No better way to break in a new rig than a big, smokey burnout!

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Just watched walk around video... very cool machine, man, I'm really diggin' this thing.

PS) I like this style of video... non-produced on the fly vid was cool.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKYYRB9xWdo"]UTVUnderground 2014 Can-Am Maverick X ds Turbo #WWYD2AM Walk-Around - YouTube[/ame]

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Tonight at 5PM EST, we will drop the first look at our new 2015 Can-Am Maverick Xds we call the #BUGOUT! Can-Am's #WWYD2AM contest kicks off tonight and we hope you all will back us up and vote for our machine. We are about 90% done with our build over at SDR Motorsports! We can't wait to unleash the #BUGOUT

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
The time has come! Check out BUGOUT, pics in the original post and below. We are still putting the finishing touches on this beast with SDR Motorsports so keep checking back to see the finished product and VOTE!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000