UTVUnderground.com Can-AM MAVERICK 1000R

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
Yes...some dyno pulls with 'Premium Unleaded' then with 87 octane. A guy who is affiliated with Canned Ham told me there is a BIG drop off in performance. But only the dyno can tell...:)
Save yourself time as I can tell you what will happen. The Maverick has high compression pistons, so you need good gas with at least 91 octane. If you want to use cheap, low octane gas, it also has knock sensors so as not to detonate and ruin the pistons. Use 87, get less HP, its up to the individual on what they want to do. Your not going to hurt the Rotax engine either way.

TTSH

Aug 23, 2011
Speaking from my first hand experience, seats and latch mechanism are needed, and really there isnt a whole lot thats needed for these machines. Exhaust sounds good, paddles of course but thats a easy fix. Most everything else like cage, doors/panels, vinyl are just appealing to the eye. Interested to see what the future holds.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Today I was invited with a few others to ride one of two production models in North America. :D:DThe way everything worked out I figure I put down around 60 miles in the Maverick Xrs. My take is that there is nothing in stock form that can take that machine in the desert. The suspension is absolutely unbeatable in the whoops at speed and the power is every bit that the XP offers up. The sound of the engine and exhaust are awesome and encourage you to push the Maverick harder and harder. Throttle response is immediate and engine builds RPMs quickly but the clutches take some time to make the machine gain speed. Top speed was around 73-75 and it was very comfortable cruising at 60-65mph. The steering is spot on and the geometry lends itself to easy turning with out power steering. The brakes are good and the engine braking is as good as anything on the market. I'm a rock guy and it's no secret that the Commander has a cruddy AWD system. The Mavericks AWD is far and away better and responds as a modern UTV should. Hopefully this change will be made on all of BRPs wheelers. The creature comforts are no less than a guy would expect from Can Am.

No machine is perfect and I found a couple of things that I'd like to see dialed in. The throttle throw is very short. It makes rock crawling a bit dicey and minor speed changes take longer than they should to get dialed in. When your approaching some whoops and want to trim off just few mph it wants to slow down a lot and it required correction. This thing could use a little more tire coverage, in the mud you're gonna be covered after a good romp.

All in all the Maverick is a home run in my book. It's a terror of fun to ride and it makes you want to ride the desert for fun, not because it's winter and everything else is closed. This machine could be a serious contender in the racing circuits with just a few mods. With a turbo that the aftermarket will no doubt be presenting soon it's going to be the most fun a guy can have on wheels. Dune and desert guys have a new machine to consider for sure:)

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
Today I was invited with a few others to ride one of two production models in North America. :D:DThe way everything worked out I figure I put down around 60 miles in the Maverick Xrs. My take is that there is nothing in stock form that can take that machine in the desert. The suspension is absolutely unbeatable in the whoops at speed and the power is every bit that the XP offers up. The sound of the engine and exhaust are awesome and encourage you to push the Maverick harder and harder. Throttle response is immediate and engine builds RPMs quickly but the clutches take some time to make the machine gain speed. Top speed was around 73-75 and it was very comfortable cruising at 60-65mph. The steering is spot on and the geometry lends itself to easy turning with out power steering. The brakes are good and the engine braking is as good as anything on the market. I'm a rock guy and it's no secret that the Commander has a cruddy AWD system. The Mavericks AWD is far and away better and responds as a modern UTV should. Hopefully this change will be made on all of BRPs wheelers. The creature comforts are no less than a guy would expect from Can Am.

No machine is perfect and I found a couple of things that I'd like to see dialed in. The throttle throw is very short. It makes rock crawling a bit dicey and minor speed changes take longer than they should to get dialed in. When your approaching some whoops and want to trim off just few mph it wants to slow down a lot and it required correction. This thing could use a little more tire coverage, in the mud you're gonna be covered after a good romp.

All in all the Maverick is a home run in my book. It's a terror of fun to ride and it makes you want to ride the desert for fun, not because it's winter and everything else is closed. This machine could be a serious contender in the racing circuits with just a few mods. With a turbo that the aftermarket will no doubt be presenting soon it's going to be the most fun a guy can have on wheels. Dune and desert guys have a new machine to consider for sure:)
I think your spot on! This is a great unit, and really only needs some basic accessories like doors, bumpers, cage to look cool, and exhaust! Then time to go play! Or, win whoever you race.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.

You are spot on Chris........Exactly Zac's & my thoughts on the Maverick X.
Not many UTV's can hang with the bikes in the desert,:eek: but you did great in that car......Look's like you were have too much fun out there yesterday!:D

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
I have yet to drive one. My friend was super impressed with it as well. I cant wait to see what Polaris is really coming up with for next year. If they dont come out with something as exciting they will for sure lose sales due to Maverick. I saw them as the sand show and they looked like they mean business.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Great write up Chris!! I have to agree with it all. I got all me seat time in it now, so maybe this week I will post my "mini" review thread with pics. (You looked good in it, BTW) ;)

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Save yourself time as I can tell you what will happen. The Maverick has high compression pistons, so you need good gas with at least 91 octane. If you want to use cheap, low octane gas, it also has knock sensors so as not to detonate and ruin the pistons. Use 87, get less HP, its up to the individual on what they want to do. Your not going to hurt the Rotax engine either way.
Running cheap gas in any high performance machine doesnt seem like a smart thing to do imho.

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
Running cheap gas in any high performance machine doesnt seem like a smart thing to do imho.
I agree, but if your in a pinch and can only get 87 octane, you wont hurt the Rotax engine in the Maverick one bit. Nice option if you ask me.

TTSH

Aug 23, 2011
<SCRIPT defer type=text/javascript charset=utf-8>if (typeof YAHOO == "undefined") { var YAHOO = {};}YAHOO.Shortcuts = YAHOO.Shortcuts || {};YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false;YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_id = 0;YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_type = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_title = "Maverick";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_publish_date = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_author = "[email protected]";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_url = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_tags = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_language = "en";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_numTokens = "797";YAHOO.Shortcuts.mailCategories = [ [1106000, "Unknown", 0.963698], [1119500, "Unknown", 0.912664] ];YAHOO.Shortcuts.version = "3.3.0";YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = {"lw_1355852142_0": {"text": "Glamis Sand Dunes","startchar": 361,"endchar": 377,"start": 361,"end": 377,"weight": 1,"capAbtScore": 0.713529,"csScore": 7.63916,"type": ["shortcuts:/concept", "shortcuts:/concept/mlprisma"],"typeId": [-2, -1],"category": ["CONCEPT"],"wikiId": "","metaData": {"visible": "true"} }};YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSetID = "cbdaebb653ddc11ece9b0ca56491fbb2";</SCRIPT> Here is a lil write up about my time as Can Am's True Maverick Down at Glamis. So it all started back in September when I filled out a questionaire on the Can Am offroad blog in regards to why I think I could be Can Am's True Maverick. Can Am was looking for someone who stands out in a crowd, a good dune rider, and has a outgoing personality to star in their own on-line show competing in challenges during the greatest time at Glamis Sand Dunes. . . Thanksgiving weekend! As to my surprise I was picked. From what I was told, during the days I would have to complete some challenges, unsure what they would involve, and upon completion of these challenges I would become a owner of a 2013 Can Am Maverick.

I was pretty stoked as I first walked up to the Maverick, happy because I was actually going to be able to drive it out in the dunes, but not in a guided demo group. When I sat in the cab I really noticed how the seats contoured to the body, unlike any other sxs oem seat. I'm 6 ft 3 and didn't feel cramped at all. There is plenty of cab room available, and never felt confined. Through the days I had noticed I preferred the gauge cluster on the XRS model over the standard model, the numbers were easier to read, and gave options as to what would be presented on the cluster. You do sit up a bit higher in the vehicle, but at no time did the vehicle ever feel top heavy, this was due to the wide 64" stance of the vehicle and how the low placement of the motor between the seats. The Maverick was very stable and tracked very well winding through the dunes at both big hills and small hills, slow technical turns and open fast open areas. With 13" of ground clearance and 14 " of travel it absorbed the terrain very well. I mostly drove a standard model and feel with some little personal adjustments of the shocks I truly believe this vehicle would be able to put more power to the ground. As a current sxs owner I have been looking into upgrading my current shocks. Can Am hit the nail on the head by offering the Fox Podium 2.5" shocks on the XRS with high and low speed compression, and rebound adjustments in addiction to the standard. At slower speeds I felt the suspension was slightly rough, but fully appreciated the compromise at higher speeds.

When running the motor has a very nice low rumble to it, the dual exhaust looks great too. I was most amazed with the power delivery, at 101 hp the Maverick pulls hard, and pulls all the way through the whole RPM range. I felt no lag form the throttle peddle to rev of the motor, it only took a little bit of time for the over aired bighorns to hook up. I can't wait to see this vehicle with the proper paddle setup. I didn't get to drive the Maverick as much as I had wanted, but I was able to take out to the dunes and see a glimpse what it is capable of.

My overall impression of the 2013 Can Am Maverick is . . . Wow! For a off the showroom floor vehicle this thing has so much potential involving little modifications or aftermarket items needed. Power, suspension, comfort, handling are all presented in this package, and even more elite with the XRS model. I truly cannot wait to see Maverick owners fine tuning their vehicles to get the most performance out of them.

On a final note I would like to thank my beautiful wife for the support of me going to Glamis. Thanks to Can Am for choosing me as the True Maverick, and the Maverick group at a Glamis for your cooperation and support. To my family and friends thanks for your support and good vibes sent my way. Last but not least everyone that was at Galmis Thanksgiving Weekend that helped me complete the challenges, and took time out of their day to check out the Maverick at the demo trailer, but especially to "Devs Wash 2 Camp" group for their hospitality. Drive hard , drive fast, but drive safe. When I get a chance I'll post up the few pics I got.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Great write up Chris!! I have to agree with it all. I got all me seat time in it now, so maybe this week I will post my "mini" review thread with pics. (You looked good in it, BTW) ;)
Thanks Dave! I actually thought to myself "what would Dave wear on this ride?" Then I wore that. I'm glad you approve. You got lots of good seat time in that thing, I'm curious to see your thoughts on it. Will you see I you can get a Wildcat 4 demo? I'd like to ride that too!

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
Great write up.
Sorry I was not able to get my Commander out there to do a little comparison, my bad.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Starting with a set of the brand new BEARD Torque seats they are making special for our Maverick. Also going to upgrade to 2.5" Walker Evans Racing shocks, Pro Armor harnesses and harness bar. Thinking I will probably cage it. I have a set of 28" GBC Mongrels on the way. I am still undecided on wheels.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
We are about to get all hot on our Maverick! Currently we have seats from BEARD w/ Harnesses, Shocks from Walker Evans Racing w/ AGM sliders, and a bad ass set of GMZ wheels and GMZ Sand Stripper Paddles. We also have a kick ass Muzzys exhaust system to install.

We have plans for a full cage (builder undetermined at this point) and lighting from Baja Designs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000