JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

We made it back in one piece!

Rendevous with the Team in Loreto

Mobbing the Highway 1 to Loreto!!!

UTVUnderground Chase Truck, All Set For Baja!

Well as most of you know now UTVUnderground will be heading out with our friends All German Motorsports to the pit and chase at the 2010 Baja 1000. All German Motorsports will yet again be attempting to win the Baja with a 2 car Class 1 Program. UTVUnderground members Rusty5150, azamsoil, and myself will be heading south to support the race team. While part of me wishes we were heading off to support a UTV team AGM has been a team we have worked with for a few years now and to go and support such a highly competitive Class 1 program is quite a treat.

AGM BMW Car At The 2010 Baja 500

To get ready for the mission we began to set the UTVUnderground chase rig up a couple weeks ago. Rusty and Myself will leave tomorrow Saturday the 13th to head south where we will rendevou with our friends in Ensenada to load up 150 Gallons of race fuel. From there we will set off on our journey to Loreto on the Sea Of Cortez side of Baja.

To prep the truck we first performed a full maintenance of our Ford F-250 4x4 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel. We changed the oil, all filters, and topped off fluids. We also charged the A/C, serviced both front and rear diffs, changed the tranny fluids, as well as the transfer case. We then did a full inspection. All of this work was performed at and by AGM in Escondido, CA. We also wired our Rigid Industries LED front bumper light bar to our factory "brights" switch in the truck for easy on and off in Baja. God forbid someone holds their brights on me, they are gonna get lit up!

Light Bar Wired to the Brights Switch

Next we installed our temporary chase rack that will carry a total of 4 35" BFG Baja Terrain tires mounted on 15" BTR and Walker Evans Rims. We have different cuts for different cars, as mentioned AGM runs a 2 car program.

Temporary Chase Rack Provided by AGM

Our next step was to install our AGM provided Dual Band VHF/UHF Race Radio and Lowrance GPS Box. Our good friends at Rugged Race Radios have provided us with a brand new 120w Race Radio Package consisting of their POWERHOUSE VX6000 Dual Band Radio, Antenna, Mic, and mounting bracket. We ran out of time to install but this system will permanently be placed in the truck once we return, so look for a full write up and review on that unit!
Chase or Base Camp 120 watt radio package - Offroad Race Systems - rugged. radios

We also have on its way a brand new Lowrance Elite 5-M Baja GPS thanks to our new sponsor Lowrance and PCI Race Radios. This unit will also be installed, but we haven't decided if we want to run it in our chase rig, our Project RZR4 or the Fatrod? We will need to decide on that but once we do Underground members will be the first to know the good, the bad, and the awesome!
Off-Road Chartplotter | LOWRANCE Elite-5m Baja

Center Console Race Radio and Lowrance 540 GPS

The next thing on our chase rig that we just completed install on was our brand new VIAIR On Board Air System. VIAIR set us up with what they felt was the best system for our truck which is the Super Duty for any size Tire on board air compressor and tank. Installation was not as easy as we thought it would be but now that it is done I am pumped to get to use it. I will do a full write up on the system itself after using it but a few pictures are below to give you an idea of how we mounted the tank and compressor out of site and out of mind on the passenger side frame rail. We did have to do some custom fabrication to mount the tank but nothing too crazy. Thank you to VIAIR for setting us up!
VIAIR Corporation - Ultra Duty OBA Part No. 20001

VAIR Super Duty On Board Air System

Tank and Compressor Mounted to Truck Frame

Pressure Guage and On/Off Switch Mounted Under Hood

The last thing I am working on before we split is the new Delorme SPOT PN-60w GPS and Tracking device that has been provided to us by our good friends at race-deZert.com and Delorme. Myself along with 4 other Race-Dezert affiliates will be broadcasting up to the minute text updates through our new SPOT devices from all over the Baja peninsula. Be prepared for some of the sickest Baja 1000 coverage EVER being provided to you by Race-Dezert.com, UTVUnderground, Delorme, IRC, PCI Race Radios, and Mastercraft. I will try to update you guys as much as possible and I will try to jump online to post the links to where on Race-Dezert you will be able to find all of the tracking information so that you can follow along in Baja!!
DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator

Delorme SPOT Earthmate PN-60w GPS w/ SPOT Locator

We also want to thank the awesome sponsors at MONSTER ENERGY for setting us up for the Baja 1000 with every single type of Monster drink avaialble as well as some cool swag to throw out to the kids and people of Mexico! We will be living on our Monster Energy down there so if you see us rolling aorund hit us up and we will be sure to hook you up!!!

Stocked The Fridge w/ Leftovers From The Baja Shipment!

Outside of some small misc. things such as polishing the headlights and changing the windshield wipers our truck is pretty dialed. We are set to go on our journey south and hopefully come home Baja 1000 winners! Hopefully I will find Wi Fi as soon as I hit the resort, until then "Stay Thirsty My Friends......."

Last edited:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Read the story...lol....Well it didnt show up until today in the mail so I ran out of time to install it. No one is at Magnum today as they left for the desert so I am bringing it along as a backup for now but we are going to build a similar console you see above to mount it in. That 6000 is a BEAST!! Hey Chris, is there a remote face that you can attach to it so say I wanted to mount the radio itself under the seat can I run a remote face to the dash????? thanks for getting it out, if it made it by Thursday I could have made it happen but I had to move on the temp. radio not knowing if UPS would have a snafu...

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
BAJA 1000 here we come. This will be an awesome adventure. Stay tuned for pictures. GO AGM......

odtodd1az

Apr 30, 2009
Glendale AZ
Good Luck to AGM. Be safe guys! If you need anything come see me at BGF pit #3 in Bay of LA. We'll get you going!
My mouth is a watering for street tacos

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Good Luck to AGM. Be safe guys! If you need anything come see me at BGF pit #3 in Bay of LA. We'll get you going!
My mouth is a watering for street tacos
Joey and Todd...one of my friends is driving for the COPS team. So it looks like I will be heading down to chase him from the start to Puertocitos. Can't wait...MP :)

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Man, look at all that love being spread...you'd never know it's a race.... :D

Good luck to all competitors and crews. Joey, I'll be watching AGM on IRC and TI. Do good work and be safe...all of you...

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Really like the woodgrain Joey.I will be in Ensenada wed morning and chasing to San Felipe or maybe a little past there for the race.Maybe we will see you there.Good luck AGM but I will be rooting for Dragonfire.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I will try to keep this thread updated everyday as we are down here. Baja is EPIC!! Wish you were all here with us.

HERBST

Curtis from RDC/Dezert People movie series fixing a bead lock

getting mobbed by Villagers

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Rusty5150

View from our patio!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000