walker evans velocity/ fox internal bypass/king internal bypass/elka 2.5

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I haven't been inside the 3.0 fox yet does it have a bypass for each zone too
Yes, but its not controlled like your typical Bypass shock I dont think. I have never seen a Bypass shock opened up so I am unsure what the inside looks like as compared to the IBP shock.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
All the money you spend on shocks would it be better to just mount a 3 tube bypass fox/king on rear of car. You would get more control and more adjustability from outside of shock. NOT racing with utv.
Some guys have this option as they can fab the necessary mounts to make all that work, however 90% of your recreational users want a plug and play set up that they can call and easily order. I have a customer just last week at sand mountain. A shop molested their stock W/E's and didnt re-set the IFP in the correct location blowing it out of the bottom of the resivior. I was able to get them out a set of IBP shocks same day saving their week long trip.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Some guys have this option as they can fab the necessary mounts to make all that work, however 90% of your recreational users want a plug and play set up that they can call and easily order. I have a customer just last week at sand mountain. A shop molested their stock W/E's and didnt re-set the IFP in the correct location blowing it out of the bottom of the resivior. I was able to get them out a set of IBP shocks same day saving their week long trip.
I thought cognito was always looking outside the box.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Funny how Bilstein never makes the list. Bilstein won more championships before most other shock companies even existed. They were the first to figure out the benefits of nitrogen and the separation of gas and oil for consistent fade free operation, And everyone followed. Their patented digressive piston and valving design has yet to be matched for overall performance. We set John Duckworth #1920 up with our 8125s for his Pro UTV and he just clinched the West and National Ultra4 title. For Ultra4 you need a shock that does it all and the Bilstein fit the bill! Just saying.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I thought cognito was always looking outside the box.
We do, however we are not going to put something out that is only going to work out for the small percentage that actually have the ability to fab in their garage. We make all of our product so that its strait forward for the end user. Thats the reason we dont get exotic with shock mounting and such on our race car. Sure we can build shock mounts and add longer shocks and such..... but how do I sell that to the guy that calls me monday after a race excited about how we passed him in rough terrain?

Reactions: Patt107 and JoeyD23

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Funny how Bilstein never makes the list. Bilstein won more championships before most other shock companies even existed. They were the first to figure out the benefits of nitrogen and the separation of gas and oil for consistent fade free operation, And everyone followed. Their patented digressive piston and valving design has yet to be matched for overall performance. We set John Duckworth #1920 up with our 8125s for his Pro UTV and he just clinched the West and National Ultra4 title. For Ultra4 you need a shock that does it all and the Bilstein fit the bill! Just saying.

I havent seen any on any type of desert car for a long time.Thats not to say there not good but you cant just rest on what was done a long time ago.

Reactions: JoeyD23 and BiggJim

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I honestly didn;t even know Bilstein still made shocks that fit UTV's

I have them on my Lifted Dodge and love them though as a side note, just smooth bodies

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Your right, pretty much all modern shock technology is based on what Bilstein achieved a long time ago. We have been working with them since 2012 to bring them back to the table starting with the XP900. Have used them over the years and when we raced Rhino's back in the day they proved to us that they were an excellent choice for SxS's. The 8125's we set up for John rock and will compete head to head with much more costly and over complicated shocks. These are not one off special sauce shocks. The 8125's we offer are the same shocks John won the championship with. It's all about what's inside.... The patented "Digressive" piston and valving is what sets a Bilstein apart from others.
Regards,

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Your right, pretty much all modern shock technology is based on what Bilstein achieved a long time ago. We have been working with them since 2012 to bring them back to the table starting with the XP900. Have used them over the years and when we raced Rhino's back in the day they proved to us that they were an excellent choice for SxS's. The 8125's we set up for John rock and will compete head to head with much more costly and over complicated shocks. These are not one off special sauce shocks. The 8125's we offer are the same shocks John won the championship with. It's all about what's inside.... The patented "Digressive" piston and valving is what sets a Bilstein apart from others.
Regards,
Do these shocks have any kind of by-pass/ bottom out technology or are these the same shock internals from years ago. I have took apart a bilstein in years most of them you throw away because they cant be rebuilt.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Do these shocks have any kind of by-pass/ bottom out technology or are these the same shock internals from years ago. I have took apart a bilstein in years most of them you throw away because they cant be rebuilt.
Not sure what series were talking about. Their off road series of shocks can be completely rebuilt. The 6100 series was a little tougher and needed special tools until I worked with Bilstein to add a shrader to the top of the shock body. This made them easy to rebuild and re-valve and allowed for a reservoir option. That is whats cool about the 8125's, you can pull them apart and re-valve them with a 3mm allen wrench and a 19mm socket. Recharge them and your done. The word by-pass gets thrown around a lot, lets just say that the Bilstein "Digressive" piston controls fluid exchange like the buzz word, but doesn't need to over complicate their shock to do so. The piston design make for a very smooth transition through the entire stroke of travel and bottom out is controlled by the components in their shim stacks that again are patented and no one else has.

Last edited:

smiller

Jun 28, 2012
What's with the KOH trophy? That's just a participation one.

Another food for thought is having shock service done. If you buy shocks that no one has, then most likely no one will have parts or great valving available for them.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
The Bilstein shocks we offer were tuned and tested and come with "great" valving. You need parts, give us a call. Really easy to service and rebuild the Bilstein yourself. if that's not for you send it to us or directly to Bilstein for complete service.
Regards,

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
The Bilstein shocks we offer were tuned and tested and come with "great" valving. You need parts, give us a call. Really easy to service and rebuild the Bilstein yourself. if that's not for you send it to us or directly to Bilstein for complete service.
Regards,
I cant say id recommend for any of my customers to rebuild their own shocks.....its not a super hard process....but its also not completely straight forward either.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Are you running a 2.0 or 2.5 body on the Bilsteins?
The Bilstein 8125's come in both 2.0 and 2.5 bodies. We use the 2.5" bodies and 7/8" shafts on our package. For simplicity Bilstein refers to them as 2.5's, but because they are built using the metric standard the are actually slightly larger. Bright zinc alloy bodies, new course thread bodies and hard anodized hardware make for easy spring adjustment with no galling.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Not sure what series were talking about. Their off road series of shocks can be completely rebuilt. The 6100 series was a little tougher and needed special tools until I worked with Bilstein to add a shrader to the top of the shock body. This made them easy to rebuild and re-valve and allowed for a reservoir option. That is whats cool about the 8125's, you can pull them apart and re-valve them with a 3mm allen wrench and a 19mm socket. Recharge them and your done. The word by-pass gets thrown around a lot, lets just say that the Bilstein "Digressive" piston controls fluid exchange like the buzz word, but doesn't need to over complicate their shock to do so. The piston design make for a very smooth transition through the entire stroke of travel and bottom out is controlled by the components in their shim stacks that again are patented and no one else has.
Can you post a pic of the internals of the bilstein shock to show everyone what the difference is maybe a little video to demonstrate what they are doing so much better. I am curious to see and maybe worth trying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000