weld it yourself cages?

marcytech

Oct 30, 2014
well im somewhat new to side by sides, but not new to offroad. ive been building prerunners for quite sometime now and finally got a rzr 800s to play around in.
I am looking to build a cage for it first and formost. i have no problem building one, but would like to know if theres any weld it yourself cage kits out there worth while? perferrably one made from DOM tubing. thanks for any and all advice

marcytech

Oct 30, 2014
yeah you know i saw that, but i think im going to just build my own cage. none of these companies like to use, or offer the cages in DOM tubing. ill be going for a look much like coastal racings xp900. using 1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
My 1.5" .120 dom cage has significant bend / crease in it from slow speed rollover. If your talking about high speed rollover, I think the weight and force gets a bit screwy. I'm not sure what weight difference is, and too lazy to look it up .. but I remember calculating few years back a .120 vs .095 being but about 45 lbs more in weight for cage, (I'm sure someone will correct my #, I'm guessing going off old age memory)... that's not much IMO for safety.. most people BS bling accessories or their filled Yeti weighs in more than that.

marcytech

Oct 30, 2014
I have rolled in a silverado doing 80mph and bent the a pillar 4" down of a 1.75 .120 wall Dom cage. After that I will not take any cage work lightly. I'm considering usin 1.75 .095 chromoly if I can afford it. If not it'll be the 120 wall Dom main structure and 1.5" .120 wall throughout

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
a properly constructed 1 1/2" 0.95 wall cage is what you want. Weight is a killer in performance and stress to drive components.

.120 wall is overkill and a waste in my opinion. Been there and done that, i came from rockcrawlers and when i buil my first Rhino cage in 2006 i way over did it and learnned my lesson.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Wall thickness and diameter aside, I think 1026 DOM tubing is a wise choice for a roll structure. Although the tensile strength is 25%+/- less than 4130, it has a higher elongation,and is therefore more "tough", or durable. If it bends or deforms in a roll over, well, its done its job.

A cage should be designed for safety first and foremost. Unless you stress relieve a 4130 roll cage, you are undermining the purpose and integrity of the cage. Yes, the 4130 may not deform in a roll over like the DOM (1026, not 1018), but in the example you stated, the rollover in your Silverado at 5,000 lbs. and 80 mph, an improperly fabricated 4130 cage quite possibly would have broken at the weld joints upon impact.

It takes an incredible amount of energy to deform a properly designed structure made from DOM, but only one sharp blow is required to fracture an improperly fabricated 4130 cage. It's the subsequent impacts in a crash that are most dangerous. The impacts that will exploit any part of the stucture that was compromised upon the initial impact.

All that being said, look at an F-1 car. The safety structures are, for the most part, made from carbon filaments or the like, which have literally no elongation compared to metal alloys, and is notch sensitive. Go figure.......In our world, overkill is the key to success, and the impacts that we see are more likely not going to be only frontal or side ones.

marcytech

Oct 30, 2014
Great information and I agree with everything but the part about the weld on the cage breaking. The a pillar bent down. Where the bend is to meet the roof line is whereit bent

marcytech

Oct 30, 2014
Yeah, the only down fall to that is I can't run my wiring through the toobz. I've considered it already

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000