All UTV's What helmet?

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
I need a helmet for use in the RZR. Right now I have a dirt bike style helmet and I find it I'm often getting hit in the nose and mouth with stuff when I'm behind someone. There's so many helmets out there I have absolutely no idea what to look for.

What are some suggestions?

Looking for something with the following criteria
HANS compatible
Skirt compatible
Sunglasses underneath
Possibly side air

Budget - don't really want to spend more than $500

Also curious about HANS vs neck collars. I understand they both do different things but there's so much contradicting information out there. I'm not sure which is best for me.

I'm not racing (yet) so whatever I get doesn't have to meet any racing class specs. Just for personal safety.

Last edited:

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
There are a ton of different brands of helmets out there. I would say start trying them on to see which one feels more comfortable. I would definitely go with air, whether its side or top depends on your preference. Having fresh air in the dust is something I would never give up! Neck collars work, but for me give me a little claustrophobic feeling. I use a Necksgen. Also something you might want to try on to see how it feels. Hans has a lot straps across the chest, mine just sits on my shoulders. Happy riding!

Reactions: Simi Dude

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
There are a ton of different brands of helmets out there. I would say start trying them on to see which one feels more comfortable. I would definitely go with air, whether its side or top depends on your preference. Having fresh air in the dust is something I would never give up! Neck collars work, but for me give me a little claustrophobic feeling. I use a Necksgen. Also something you might want to try on to see how it feels. Hans has a lot straps across the chest, mine just sits on my shoulders. Happy riding!
Thank you for the input! I appreciate it.

Thank you, I'll have a look into this helmet.

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
What model of Necksgen do you use?

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Thanks everyone! I'm looking into Impact now. They seem tone popular and are really nice. Specifically the Impact Air Draft

Here's my next question. How do I know which style of fresh air is best for me?

Side air?

Or top/side?

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
Yes I agree. Thinking of going with that one. If I ever run a mic in the helmet, the side air can interfere with the mic. Causing wind noise in it. So I think I have chosen which helmet, but before I buy it I would like to hear some more opinions.

Reactions: ktrent

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I've been running a side air Simpson for almost 10 years. I just purchased a HJC CL-17 and got an add on pumper kit to make it into a fresh air. I put the air hose adapter on the top/side just like the second pic above, and I like it better. I spent $140 on the helmet and $40 for the fresh air kit. I also swapped over the comms and skirt from the Simpson. This new helmet has removable and washable pads, whereas the Simpson didn't.

Reactions: Rynomx785

kmb760

Mar 28, 2013
I've been running a side air Simpson for almost 10 years. I just purchased a HJC CL-17 and got an add on pumper kit to make it into a fresh air. I put the air hose adapter on the top/side just like the second pic above, and I like it better. I spent $140 on the helmet and $40 for the fresh air kit. I also swapped over the comms and skirt from the Simpson. This new helmet has removable and washable pads, whereas the Simpson didn't.
With the helmets like Impact that are built to have a pumper, do they have actual vents with-in the padding to move the air through out the whole head? I would of thought trying to modify a noon pumper helmet like the HJC would not be as efficient of moving air?

Reactions: ktrent

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
My new set up works good. I actually got the idea from PCI. they sell the same helmet with the fresh air and without. It's a street bike helmet. My old Simpson had padding on most of the interior, but this HJC has a lot of channels for air to flow around your head.

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Only problem with top air is the cage. I have had a couple of co drivers that had it and it wasn't compatible with the cage. I've used side air for 8 years and have no problems with coms or wind noise.

CrawlerJamie

May 21, 2016
Canada
I think I would be ok for clearance. I have a CageWRX super shorty and i still have lots of room above my head, where the air would be. Especially with it offset to the side like that. I won't really know until I have the helmet on my head and am sitting in the car. Only one way to find out I guess!

Reactions: rockstarcustomz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000