What I have been up to.

FBT

Didn't know where to put this, it ain't a trip (yet) so i thought i'd throw it out here for discussion...
I had another little setback, but that is ALL behind me know and I am going nuts waiting for the spring to arrive. We already have a trip set in stone to Vegas for the NASCAR race, and a trip to Oregon Dunes reserved for late June.
This entire winter I have been doing a ton of research.
Probably more than I have done since working a homicide case, or college.
I got the bug last year.
Nevada Ghost Towns. :D
I have about 50 new, "favorites" in a new folder on the computer, and about 100 bucks worth of new books.
Many of those ghost towns had one thing in common.
Gold, and silver....which spun me into reading a couple of tales of lost gold/silver coins...which sent me right into metal detecting, with a minor stop at treasure hunting.
Laugh if you will...but this has been some of the most interesting stuff i have done in years.
So I am reading, spending hours on Google earth, creating routes using the coordinates etc into some places of interest in northern Nevada to explore some way-out-in-the dingweeds ghost towns.
Most are not a place you can legally run a metal detector, (don't have one yet anyway) but the exploration and picture taking will be a blast, and I live in the middle of the Motherlode, so I can feed that need here.
I am working on one particular ghost town out there that is so remote that, according to a recent visitor (a UTV'er we met on the trail) the saloon in the town still has the swinging doors on it, and the piano is still in the corner.
:D
The timing on a trip in to this place is going to depend on the weather, but when things warm up we are going. I need to find a safe place to park the truck/camper and trailer to stage, and then it is a good 35 mile run up and into the townsite.
I think my usual gang is gonna go hog wild when i present this plan, we had a blast on our trial run, found an old cemetery, some neat rocks, etc.
I hope to have some pics for you guys when it happens. If any of you folks want to get in on the fun and can get away and spend 3 days in Resume Speed Nevada, send me a pm and when the date is nailed down i will let you know.
If you are a history nut, there is some outstanding reading specific to Nevada ghost towns, i can post up some books and websites if there is interest.

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
ON YOUR WAY OUT OR ON YOUR WAY BACK YOU NEED TO STOP IN THE IMPERIAL VALLEY & GIVE ME A CALL. ( I AM RETIRED NOW SO WE CAN TAKE YOU ANY TIME ANY WHERE HERE ) THE OGILBY AREA HAS A LOT OF MINES & OLD BUILDINGS, CEMETARIES & FUN PLACES TO RIDE. YOU NEED TO HOOK UP WITH LA FAMILIA WHILE ON YOUR TRIP. I AM SELFISH BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU @ THE 4TH ANNUAL ROBERT W ROSAS JR. MEMORIAL OFFROAD RIDE.

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
Sounds like a great trip, keep us posted. I've been wanting to do some Nevada trips also since I'm just over the hill.
Where are you getting your info. on trails and towns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FBT

DD I guess I wasn't clear, we are going to be working northern Nevada, mostly north of Tonapah. I would love to hook up some day though!

I was kinda surprised by the reaction to this, i will keep you folks up to speed on when and where we plan to go. My son lives in Reno, and we are going to have to do a couple of scouting missions to find a safe place to set up a base camp from which to take off. A couple of the places i want to hit this year are a long way from any 'campground" and running up a semi-paved county road for 30 or more miles before hitting the dirt and doing the last 20 or so don't do much for me.

Jon...
I will keep you in the loop. While I still love our "Mountain", I am not happy with what it has become. You tried, and i tried too, to tell people what was coming, but no one would listen...This is another way to get out in Nevada and enjoy the desert without the idiots.

mtoma, the first book you need to buy is the latest edition of Stan Paher's book "Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps", it is considered the authority on Nevada's early towns.
He has companion books that are atlases on routes into the areas, but you need to be aware that conditions change out there.
That book has a ton of info in it.

the net was next.

I bought a 3-ring binder, and numerous dividers to place each, "target" in it's own slot, and then began searching.
There are many sites out there, i am still running across new ones,
Forgotten Nevada is a great start, but it is one of just a couple that has GPS numbers on it, many want you to o your own research to learn, so that is what I am doing.

You can find a number of places simply by doing a search, then when you get an idea where it might be, use google earth to nail it down.
I have probably spent in excess of 30 hours on google earth this winter so far.

It is addictive as heck, and I have given you plenty to set the hook...enjoy..:D

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Sounds like a blast....keep us up to speed, especially if there is "cow tip'n" along the way somewhere.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000