All UTV's What mods have you done

SoCal

I'm a Toy Haulin Hooligan - UTVUnderground Approve
Jan 16, 2009
Orange Ca.
Ok guys, I know some of you race but I was wondering what performance mods everyone has done. Not only that but would you do it again?

I did the K&N with adapter in the stock air box. Tried the lid off but the filter would clog up daily in dusty conditions so I put the lid back on and did one of those Rais tubes (I know now its the brush attachment for the shop vac) and took the louvers off the intake scoop.

I installed the Alba exhaust with the flowmaster (old school now isnt it)

Dyna CDI ( I think been a long time)

also did the KMS siphon break and Sheave.

I did all this in 06 when I built it and have been pretty happy. Not sure I would do the exhaust again though because its damn loud and Im not sure it helped much.

One day I would like to do a nice 686 but until then I guess I have to be happy with it.

60 mph on soggy dry lake passing everyone else in my group but I am the only one on 26" tires.

Any suggestions short of the 686 for me? Im unemployed (for now I hope) so keep it inexpensive

kdub41

Murder Red
Jan 27, 2009
Hemet
sell the 26in tires and go back to a 12x25
then maybe look into getting a single slip on exhaust and grind the welds out of your stock headers. that might make a noticeable difference

mikef

Big Mike - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Beaumont, Ca. (Inland Empire)
I personally am not a guy to mess with the motor. I like to turn the key and thats it.... I dont even change the oil or clean the air filter.... My motor runs perfect and does not use a drop of oil. I have over 4000 miles and never done anything to it....

I did the sheave and a BRP Stage 2 CDI.... That is the only motor/performance mods that I recomend. I would stay away from the air filter, exhaust and jetting.... just my 2 cents. Not good for the everyday Rhino owner.

Sitck with 25" tires....

I would spend my money on suspension...

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
From what I hear 25" tires are lighter and can give you more bottom end the taller tires give you the top end......

I was running the BRP CDI and KMS Sheave with duners kit before I tore all my shiat down. Before I cracked my header pipe due to a mototr mount bolt coming out I could run up to 60mph on black top.......cruise at 52-55mph all day in the desert....the only time I had it in the dunes was when my exhaust was broken and I could barley get up a dune it was run!!!!! I also look forward to running my Muzzys exhaust!!!

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
I started slow, just a grizzly sheave and a BRP cdi (procomm).

Got tired of it not starting so I bought a dynatek cdi.

Did the intake adapter with lid removed.

Bought an air fuel meter and found it impossible to get the jetting right with the stock needle, bought a dynojet kit and got it right.

Decided to try the Ron Woods kit (pipe and carb). Wow, huge acceletration differences.......so I thought.

Used the air fuel meter to get the jetting on the mikuni 45 right. It was way off, had to change every part in the thing.

Drag raced a friend that I was even with before all of the pipe and carb stuff....still even. Sure feels faster though. Probablly because all the noise adds 40hp in your head.

Did a PDM race clutch, too loud so I changed to a sport clutch. Beat my buddie in a drag race now, beat him in the first 20ft, after that we are even.

Did a 686 10.75 to 1, racers edge head with 1mm bigger valves and stage 2 hot cam. This was a great setup. Best and most reliable motor I have had. Made good power and with a light guy driving it would go 70+. 67 with my fat ass. Did have to change to a PWR oversized radiator though.

Got stupid and did a 727 12 to 1 Megacycle x-4 cam combo with a mikuni 48. Have had nothing but problems since. Hauls ass when it runs, but is getting really expensive replaceing pistons. cylinders and valves every race. Just changed from a CP to a JE piston 11:1 from weller. It should solve a lot of the valve bending issues, as the valve pockets are larger for the oversized valves. Was having to manually (dremel tool) the valve reliefs bigger on the CP pistons. Also o-ringed the cylinder and switched to a PDM copper head gasket like I ran with the 686. Blown too many cometics in the last few months.

SoCal

I'm a Toy Haulin Hooligan - UTVUnderground Approve
Jan 16, 2009
Orange Ca.
I have been wanting to go back to 25's but if I do that I want to get rid of my 14" rims too. I was pretty happy with the top end and dont seem to suffer from bottom end against all the other Rhinos with 25's but who knows until I try.

Kdub do you think going back to a stock exhaust with a slip on would be better than my Alba exhaust? :confused: I wouldnt mind the noise going away though.

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
Like MikeF I am also a fan of the stock 660. The only mods I've done are Dynatec CDI, K&N intake, Looney Tuned dual exhaust, KMS sheave, 14g weights, and a blue spring. Pulls 62-63 in Ocotillo if I'm by myself, cruises at 55-58 with 2 people. Happy with all my mode so far!!

sully427

Red Rider - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
I personally am not a guy to mess with the motor. I like to turn the key and thats it.... I dont even change the oil or clean the air filter.... My motor runs perfect and does not use a drop of oil. I have over 4000 miles and never done anything to it....

I did the sheave and a BRP Stage 2 CDI.... That is the only motor/performance mods that I recomend. I would stay away from the air filter, exhaust and jetting.... just my 2 cents. Not good for the everyday Rhino owner.

Sitck with 25" tires....

I would spend my money on suspension...
WOW no oil change in 4000 miles you must be using Superman's mojo to lube the internals on that motor and probably loosing about 20 horse with no filter cleaning i feel sorry for that rhino.

mikef

Big Mike - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Beaumont, Ca. (Inland Empire)
WOW no oil change in 4000 miles you must be using Superman's mojo to lube the internals on that motor and probably loosing about 20 horse with no filter cleaning i feel sorry for that rhino.

I changed the oil and cleaned the filter at 20 hours like the manual stated.... Then again at around 2000 miles.... But that is it. It runs strong and doesnt use a drop of oil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000