Who Remembers nite Racing at Comp Hill.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I am sitting here thinking about the good old days of going to comp hill at Nite and racing the hill and hanging out till the wee hours of the Morning and I bet theres alot of People here that have been denied that Fun and Exciting Experience. that really sucks cause Glamis aint the Same since they shut it down.:(

Attachments

onebuilder

Dec 20, 2009
Skull Valley, AZ.
Going to Boardmanville for chili, Dirty Bobs and Clean Genes for parts, Comp Hill until late nite and then to Olds until early morning. Pit cooking our turkey for Thanksgiving, burning our Christmas tree on New Years. Riding wherever and wherever we wanted! The good old days!

Thanks for stirring up some awesome memories!

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
We rolled out there in trucks with people sitting in the back of the truck bed. People would dig fire trenches and torcher people.I had a blast heading there at night and drinking beer! It was so packed that 1 time we got stuck on the way out of comp and hitch hiked to the washes. People left this place like a dump just one of the reasons it's gone.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Burning vw engine blocks, being towed on a Volkswagen hood or my buddies recliner mounted on snow skis. Oh yea!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
I was only there once a long time ago on a Tanksgiving trip prior to the new enforcement.
It was pretty sweet.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Yeah those were good times ,naked drunk girls racing the hill talking shit all nite magnesium fires, cold beer, more cold beer, more naked chicks and more cold beer.people havin fun being dumb, I was one of the ones that would race the hill all nite long and we never had problems everyone was cool. you would see a few fights but it was over quick and no big deal. Oh did I mention the naked girls on poles in the back of trucks. The Goverment can f up a good time.:mad:

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i miss sobe bombs , naked girls, pole dancers, and couch surfing. and loud music after 10pm. at the more 500 race in lucerne this year the sheriff told me to change the color of the lights on my rv flagpole. wtf. then blm ranger came by at 10:39 and made us turn our music down. and the race was still going on. ls7 buggies running until 11pm. waj

poflo

Jan 3, 2011
Early 70's.....burning 36 hp VW cases,setting around the camp fire with tinted BEER goggles......Hell our 3wheelers wouldnt climb anything........almost couldnt make it to comp hill......if you had a 1500cc VW sand rail,you were on top of the world......front engine water pumpers was a conversion of an old car in your back yard.....we spent most the time at Comp Hill.... by the road......Oldsmobile seemed so far away.......Easier to stagger back to camp from Comp:rolleyes::D

Last edited:

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Damn there aint many of us left that have those great memories! So how many of the younger Duners here never Saw Comp in Her Glory days. Im gonna assume its a bunch.
wow its been 10 years this November since the County shut Comp Hill down.

DUNERS INFORMING DUNERS
Please make copies of this information and distribute
November 22, 2002
Imperial County Closes Federal Land

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, the Imperial County Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that places a dusk to dawn curfew at Competition Hill in the Glamis area of the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area.. Wally Leimgruber, an Imperial County Board of Supervisor, said, "the intent of the ordinance was to be for the Major Holidays only, not every night. The Board also wanted it to be structured so the curfew could be at the Imperial County Sheriff's discretion; expanded to more days or areas if needed." The ordinance as written, however, says that there will be a curfew every night. Leimgruber said the board of Supervisors is planning to amend the ordinance at the next Board of Supervisors meeting this Tuesday, November 26th 2002, to clarify their intent.

This unprecedented action by a local authority closing Federal land was done without any public comment or discussion. Imperial County says the curfew is necessary to protect the public from lawless behavior by a small portion of the people who recreate at the ISDRA. The County's action appears to have the blessing of, and was initiated by, the Imperial County Sheriff's Office. It was kept between them and the County Board of Supervisors. It was not discussed with, or proposed to, the American Sand Association in advance.

Since there are adequate rules and regulations already in place, The American Sand Association is opposed to additional curfews and additional laws. The ASA's main objection to the curfew is that it affects the law-abiding users of the ISDRA who enjoy "running Comp" at night for the fun and challenge. Moreover, the Bureau of Land Management has stated repeatedly that their "Zero Tolerance" enforcement methods, begun in January 2002, have had a significant positive impact reducing past problems.

"Since last year, we have been suggesting checkpoints at the entrance of Comp Hill to identify liquor violations, illegal activity, or other rule violations: but certainly not a curfew," says Bob Mason, ASA's Public Safety Committee Chairman.

The ASA will make every attempt to inform its members of the new ordinance as quickly as possible. "Our primary concern is that there is inadequate lead time to inform ISDRA visitors," says Jerry Seaver, ASA President. "Future actions of this nature must be coordinated with representatives of the stakeholders if we are going to communicate effectively and accomplish the desired results."

For the latest update on the Imperial County's revised ordinance go to www.americansandassociation.org

The ASA

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Early 70's.....burning 36 hp VW cases,setting around the camp fire with tinted BEER goggles......Hell our 3wheelers wouldnt climb anything........almost couldnt make it to comp hill......if you had a 1500cc VW sand rail,you were on top of the world......front engine water pumpers was a conversion of an old car in your back yard.....we spent most the time at Comp Hill.... by the road......Oldsmobile seemed so far away.......Easier to stagger back to camp from Comp:rolleyes::D
Thank god I am not the only old guy.:D

Glamis here is my long winded memories. I have not been to Glamis in almost 20 years due mostly to some of the remember when things quoted in this thread. For me Glamis was a different scene. For me it was about the riding, not so much the party.

My first trip was in about 1977. in about 1979 my parents joined the looney Duners Club, and we used to camp behind the old Glamis store which is now a closed area. We called them the baby dunes which was perfect for a pack of 10 year olds to go out and ride away from the parents.

In the early 80's my parents split, and Dad hitched up with Chuck Boardman's daughter (who is still my step mom.) We spent ever weekend during the season working at Boardmanville. The Looner Duners club built the most amazing campground just past boardmanville, and I was cruising the Dunes at 13-14 in a VW combi barndoor bus with paddles, and a 2110. It pulled serious wheelies, with all the weight stripped off. Some of my early artwork was turned into the famous Boardmanville tshirts, and I hand drew all the maps that graced the walls of the pre log cabin Bordmanville.

Never been lost in Glamis even when my buddy and I drove the bus to Mexico at 15 and ran out of gas looking for mexican whores (we did not find any). :D Spent a few summers out there swimming at the oasis, and raging the dunes when no one was there. You think racing up Comp hill is fun, try racing down Comp hill on a Honda 185S ATC and see if you are man enough for the whoops at the bottom at Mach 5. :) Those things kept running even after a dozen somersaults down that hill.

I just listed my hill killer CR500 for sale a couple weeks ago, as Glamis is not on my radar any longer and even if it was that bike is not a good idea for me now. Glamis has been screwed up for a long time in my opinion. The good old days are long gone. I have to admit, I am considering doing a mid week run just to relive some of the good old days of my youth, and carve the massive bowls and fresh wind swept mountains of sand.

onebuilder

Dec 20, 2009
Skull Valley, AZ.
Good write up Jeff. I remember the VW bus's. Dirty Bob had a nice one as well. I remember some awesome duning late at nite with him and his friends. Hell, we may have met! :D

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
then blm ranger came by at 10:39 and made us turn our music down. and the race was still going on. ls7 buggies running until 11pm. waj
wtf is wrong with music in the desert?only country after ten,or what?.Were you in the middle of pit row?only in cali!

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Good write up Jeff. I remember the VW bus's. Dirty Bob had a nice one as well. I remember some awesome duning late at nite with him and his friends. Hell, we may have met! :D
Bob had a lot of cool toys.

Chuck had a stable of fun toys. His deal was simple, If I worked I could drive anything except the big block Jeep. The Bus fit more kids, so that was my first choice. It had a hand crank siren, no glass or doors, and it had stenciled logo's from The Deutsches Afrika Korps all over it. which being a punk rock teenager I thought was pretty cool.

I pumped gas, loaded the coolers with beer, and kept the ice stock full. Learned pretty quick that I could sneak beer, and impress the older girls. I can't share all the stories, but there are plenty of good memories of my youth in Glamis.

Turns out Pete from SXS Performance and I did our fair share of dune running when we were kids. Our parents where members of the same club. I did not know that until we started talking about Glamis one afternoon. I am sure I crossed paths with a bunch of Off roaders over the years.

poflo

Jan 3, 2011
Do you guys remember when there was a gas station & repair shop on the north side of the road across from Glamis store,an Rv parking north of that and a dirt,sand drag strip:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000