Polaris Who wants to discuss XP1k suspension?

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I made my first ride with my XP1k last week. The terrain was probably close to what desert guys see but I would guess more tight turns. Lots of cross ruts and square edge stuff as well. My immediate impressions are:
Front spring rate too soft
Rear spring may be too stiff, unsure right now
Not enough rebound on front
Not enough compression on the front down in the stroke.
I am wondering if other people agree & what your experiences have been with changes to the setup.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Stock suspension?

Spring rate should be close, def needs more compression dampening. they always need more rebound

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Make sure your ride height is correct. WER recommend 14-14.5 " made a if difference in how my car handled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
Where is the 14-14.5 measured at? I set my unloaded spring lengths at 17 & .25" shorter than stock rear. I don't remember that number.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Where is the 14-14.5 measured at? I set my unloaded spring lengths at 17 & .25" shorter than stock rear. I don't remember that number.
IDK where WER measures from but in the front me measure from the lower front control arm, rear pivot mount. The rear is just measured at the skid plate.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
I measured the rear from bottom of the skid/chassis tube and the front from the rear lower a arm mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I appreciate the input. On the stock spring rate, my opinion on the front being too soft is based on how the car behaves coming off throttle and into a turn. This obviously is effected by the anti-dive as well, but I have not plotted that out and frankly other than ride height changes I will probably not do anything to change the stock percentage.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I appreciate the input. On the stock spring rate, my opinion on the front being too soft is based on how the car behaves coming off throttle and into a turn. This obviously is effected by the anti-dive as well, but I have not plotted that out and frankly other than ride height changes I will probably not do anything to change the stock percentage.
If you go to a true dual rate spring set up you will get rid of alot of that as well. I have packages for the Fox edition stuff but we have no relationship with W/E's so we dont mess with the spring kits for those.

Louisk

Oct 10, 2013
Since you're in Louisiana you should call George at Double E Racing. He does our XC shocks and has them figured out, especially the walkers.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I was just getting ready to start a thread on this topic....

I just added some preload in the rear not to long ago. With the stock Bighorns i am now measuring 13.5" in the front and about 13" in the back.

Jim what rate do you guys use on the fox stuff for a stock width car? I was told Walker recommend a 300/350 in the front and a 250/300 in the back. Sound right?

jdrew1965

Oct 28, 2015
I was just getting ready to start a thread on this topic....

I just added some preload in the rear not to long ago. With the stock Bighorns i am now measuring 13.5" in the front and about 13" in the back.

Jim what rate do you guys use on the fox stuff for a stock width car? I was told Walker recommend a 300/350 in the front and a 250/300 in the back. Sound right?
I recommend that if you have stock shocks, send those things to W/E or Shock Therapy and get them revalved. If you want to drive your machine like you stole it and have the best health insurance available, suspension is everything. Revalve or buy new shocks. The option is yours otherwise do not overdrive the stock suspension. Even racers know when to back down, in order to get to the trailer in one piece.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I recommend that if you have stock shocks, send those things to W/E or Shock Therapy and get them revalved. If you want to drive your machine like you stole it and have the best health insurance available, suspension is everything. Revalve or buy new shocks. The option is yours otherwise do not overdrive the stock suspension. Even racers know when to back down, in order to get to the trailer in one piece.
I am definitely revalving but I'm getting rid of the shitty stock springs at the same time.

The rate that WE recommends is different from what Shock Therapy does. I am curious to see what some of the other guys that know suspension run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000