Polaris Why Did Polaris change it's 900 motor???

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Like the title says, what was the reason for the change on the 2013 motor??? Mainly, they went from a "dry sump" pressurized oiling system, to a "wet sump" traditional setup..... What do you guys think?? could it be the reason for the problems I'm having with my motor, ie 2012....???? Any insight would be appreciated.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
interesting, thanks for the info Joey. In your opinion, If you blew your 2012 motor up, would you try and get a 2013 with the new trans mount, or go back to the 2011-12 "dry sump" motor???

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
apparently, everything..... was out at Johsnon valley, cruising with the group, no problems, we were out for about an hour maybe 1.5 and went to go up the sand dune and bang.... i thought I threw the belt???? pulled the belt cover off, and it was perfect... So I had Jim tow me back to camp, pulled the spark plug, and saw that it had been hit!!!! So, i took it into dealer and they tore it down to find out why, and submit my warranty claim.... Claim was denied because of lack of lubrication....NO SHIT!!!! where did the oil go??? The mechanic said about the only thing useful is the stator, maybe flywheel.... Yup, sucks for me...

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I know they have had allot of valve keepers come off. It sounds like that could have caused the issue if the spark plug was hit. I have seen that happen several times now. The does really suck. I have a friend that just bought a 2013 and put 9 miles on it and broke a piston. This is right after his 2011xp blew up after 1100 miles. Polaris quality control seems to be lacking in quality control.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I am not the expert, however the older models have a starter set up ( part of the gear reduction set up and pin that stabilizes everything) that the some of the parts bend and or break! I have seen 3 motors with this at benchmark performance. The newer model does not have the same set up. After seeing that I would rather have the 2013 model.

Utv133

Mar 14, 2012
Havasu
In my dealer we had a prob with people not knowing the right way to check the oil.
Always over filled or under filled and they had a recall on the oil tanks. some of the bottom outlets were not cut all the out . If you blew the motor up you would have to change the oil tank too. Per Polaris ... So when I seen the wet sump I was happy. And the motor probs went down 50% in my dealer .. Cause it 10 times easyer to keep your oil at the right level for the everyday person

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
hmmm, and i was thinking of switching from t4 to jagged x rzr 900. i will keep my eye on the 2013 changes.

UTV Wolfpack

Aug 7, 2012
I know they have had allot of valve keepers come off. It sounds like that could have caused the issue if the spark plug was hit. I have seen that happen several times now. The does really suck. I have a friend that just bought a 2013 and put 9 miles on it and broke a piston. This is right after his 2011xp blew up after 1100 miles. Polaris quality control seems to be lacking in quality control.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Keep in mind you hear more problems with Polaris because they sell 10 to 1 on every other manufacturer. Thats why you here about more problems. But the person that started this tread also said that his motor blew on lack of oil. Thats more consumer negligence than Polaris being at fault. I check my oils before I run my car every time. But all in all that still sucks this happened. From my experience these machines are strong and just need to be watched if you are out romping on them.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
"THEIR" findings were lack of oil.... I had oil in the machine... i check everytime out also... they said the mechanic tore the motor down and didn't find any "holes" so I didn't have enough oil in it????? really? my question to them when I am able to respond by writing (that's the process apparently) did they drain my oil? how much was there? how much did they spill? they couldn't have checked the oil according to the manual, it wouldn't start.... so they couldn't run it to get proper level..... all questions. Trust me, if I knew I didn't have oil in it, I wouldn't have taken it to the dealer and pay them $90 hr to tear it apart to let me know I'm an idiot.....:rolleyes:

UTV Wolfpack

Aug 7, 2012
"THEIR" findings were lack of oil.... I had oil in the machine... i check everytime out also... they said the mechanic tore the motor down and didn't find any "holes" so I didn't have enough oil in it????? really? my question to them when I am able to respond by writing (that's the process apparently) did they drain my oil? how much was there? how much did they spill? they couldn't have checked the oil according to the manual, it wouldn't start.... so they couldn't run it to get proper level..... all questions. Trust me, if I knew I didn't have oil in it, I wouldn't have taken it to the dealer and pay them $90 hr to tear it apart to let me know I'm an idiot.....:rolleyes:

Well I personally would hold them accountable. That's why they get paid $90 hour because they are supposed to be trained technicians. I would talk to manager or owner if you feel they are at fault then make them fix it. If that doesn't work then I suggest maybe find legal help if you still feel they are at fault. I personally never sued anyone but I also don't feel you are at fault if they just did a complete service or check right before you took it out. Sorry to here about that hopefully it all works out and the shop steps up.

Joe Merrill

Jun 29, 2019
Well I personally would hold them accountable. That's why they get paid $90 hour because they are supposed to be trained technicians. I would talk to manager or owner if you feel they are at fault then make them fix it. If that doesn't work then I suggest maybe find legal help if you still feel they are at fault. I personally never sued anyone but I also don't feel you are at fault if they just did a complete service or check right before you took it out. Sorry to here about that hopefully it all works out and the shop steps up.
I just bought a 2012 RZR 4 900 with 750 miles on it. It has a blown motor from no oil? How can a motor with 750 miles RUN OUT OF OIL??? First oil change should be 500 mile break-in so what is really going on? I am looking to buy a 1400 mile motor with new oil system inc. What is going to keep this from happening again? Sounds like a problem to me with the oiling system?
Can I put a later model wet sump motor in instead?

socal18

Mar 6, 2020
I just bought a 2012 RZR 4 900 with 750 miles on it. It has a blown motor from no oil? How can a motor with 750 miles RUN OUT OF OIL??? First oil change should be 500 mile break-in so what is really going on? I am looking to buy a 1400 mile motor with new oil system inc. What is going to keep this from happening again? Sounds like a problem to me with the oiling system?
Can I put a later model wet sump motor in instead?
It's not uncommon for smaller performance engines to burn oil. I have a 2013 XP900 with a brand new engine from Rev6 and it burned a quart of oil in the first 20 hours. Not a problem, just keep it topped off and change it regularly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000