Why did you pick that truck?

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
What were the deciding factors when you selected your truck?

Power
Reliability
After market options
Comfort
Towing ability
Payload
Brand loyalty
Style
Keeping up with the Joneses

I am in the market for a truck. I would prefer a nice 1999 to 2003 Ford with a 7.3l and a stick but I am having better luck winning the lotto. So I figured I would come here for some input. How do the 6.4L Ford Diesels hold up? How about the 2008 Dodge Ram with a 6.7L Cummins, I know the motor is great but the rest of the truck is junk.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Engine and Tranny wise.....Very few have been let down by a duramax/Alison....if they have been let down they probably was trying to make 900hp with it. of all the Duramax's we have had around Cognito there is no reason to go another direction.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I have a 07 dodge with a 6.7 been the best truck i ever owned. 147,000 miles and the only problem has been a leaky water pump at 60k and it was replaced under warranty. The whole truck has been great not just the engine and transmission. I picked it because I felt it was the most reliable truck with the most towing power.
The 6.4 blows up just as bad as the 6.0 my friend has one with a blown engine right now only had 60k on the engine. His dad and him both bought the same truck and his dad's was just rebuilt.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

NYCEGUY01

Jul 9, 2012
After I sold off all the big trailers I was ready for something NOT a diesel...

The biggest thing I tow now is my 24' enclosed and usually its the motorhome doing it.

Ive always been a chevy guy so I started looking there.
I found the perfect cheap used truck for me. Paying cash and not having a payment is great...

I found a 2002 Chevy ex cab HD2500 with an 8.1 and a Six speed.
Plastic floor, manual windows the works...lol

Andy

Maverick - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 2, 2013
Buena Park, Calif
08 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 6.7 TD. Power, reliability, and the SMOKIN deal I got. Took a bit of Haggling, but got OTD for $32.7K new.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
08 ford 6.4 here. Love it have over 100k on it 50k of it deleted and programmed. Gets 14-16 mpg with 35's cruising 75. No major issues. Mine pulls heavy trailers often and never misses a beat. The 6.4's are great trucks especially when you tune them.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
i start with this i have a fleet of fords(im a mechanoic for SCE). and would not buy any diesel ford except the older 7.3l. 6.o and 6.4 are junk. 6.7 have been ok but still have turbo issues and cooling issues so far.
i had a 2010 dodge 2500 diesel and loved it had zero issues. towed great and got great MPG. and the cab had tones of room.
i had 2012 ram 1500 same as above great truck no issues.
now i have a 2014 tundra crewmaxx trd. great power has probably the most roomy back seat out of all the trucks in the 1/2 tons. mpg is the only down fall so far. iw as going to get a new gmc sierra half ton but the rear seat room sold me on the tundra, having to kids and they cant kick my seat anymore is great.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i love my 5.9 megacabs, they have shit tons of room inside and you are the boss of the road, trans is a little weak but if you add a couple parts they are good for towing. AC is great if you cut out the intake screen under the dash, steering is good after you update it to the 2008 and newer style, i get 13mpg with 35" tires driving it like an a-hole blowing black smoke everywhere (wife gets 15) around town, 11mpg towing my 36' toyhauler to Glamis at 75mph.

thats my good bad and ugly of my 5.9's

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
It was a a tough decision to jump ship from owning and driving nothing but Chevy's for both my personal and business vehicles. I loved my duramax and the allison transmission held up great over the life of the truck (I put 185k miles on it). That being said, when it came time for replacement I couldn't bring myself to own a truck with a DEF tank hanging down below the frame rail. I am in and out of job sites on a daily basis and it would only be a matter of time before I caught it on something. Sooooo, I ended up with a 2012 6.7 mega cab. It tows my fifth wheel great and has tons of room for the family. I also love the behind the seat storage. The straight axle is a plus too IMO. Since purchasing my Dodge I have replaced other work trucks with Dodges and have had great luck with them so far (5 total all with 6.7's).

Happy shopping!

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I've always been a CHEVY guy until my father in law went to work at the local Dodge dealership.... Ended up bringing home a slightly used 2011 Dodge 3500 dually, STICK, 4x4... was a great truck, but the wife and I decided to go the motorhome route :D so now I'm cruising an 89 Ford crewcab 4x4 with a 7.3L that I picked up for 2 months of Dodge payments.... Not sure your budget, but I sold that Dodge dually back to my father in laws dealership, only had 27,000 miles on her... Send me a PM if you want me to see if he still has it on the lot...

PickupTrucker

Dec 20, 2013
Duvall, Washington
I can't help it, ford is in my blood. As far as I know, every year besides 2015 ford has had significantly higher towing capacities than the other brands. Mine is a 6.0l, 6 speed, rubber floor, vinyl upholstery, fleet truck white. super easy to take care of. If you know what to look for, it is easy to keep a 6.0l from having issues. Mine is finicky, but it is a hot rod. Honestly, you'll here 1000 good and bad things about any truck, so it seems to come down to opinion. besides that Chevy's are gay, that's a fact.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
There are like 4 companies that sell kits to swap out those bunk ford engines. How many companies sell kits to swap out the cummins or duramax? Crickets chirp chirp chirp! Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I am linking the 08, 09 and 10 Mega Cabs. I wish the interior was nicer.

I just clicked 300k on my 7.3idi. It's time for a new ride.

In a perfect world.... I would hit the lotto and build a custom rig.

I'm so country... I'm my own damn cousin.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I would do a cummins swap rusty, unless your set on a new truck. Put a 5.9 in her and she will be a good truck for many more miles! A reverse shackle kit and 99-03 superduty springs will make the front ride like a dream too!

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I loved my 2011 dodge crewcab... personally not a fan of the mega cab "stinkbutt" version...but hey, some like em big, some like em small, some, like em all....

FBT

I bought this truck new in 1998, it was one of the last old body style F-350's in the state. I bought it planning to keep it forever. So far, so good.
The truck was SRW when I bought it, but my needs changed and I converted it to a dually.
I've spent a lot of money dialing it in to better performing it's primary mission.
Towing.
Sit down and do some serious thinking about what you need the truck for now, and what could change and what you may need it for down the road.
The Cummins is a damn fine engine, the 5.9 is outstanding and I would look for one that hasn't been beaten on and go from there.

The duramax is also a proven machine and I like the GM interiors but in my mind a 4x4 truck should have a Dana 60 in the front, not A-Arms. If you wokr the truck and plan to put big tires on it plan on doing some front end work as well.

If I ever wear my 7.3 out it'll get a 5.9 conversion...maybe. It just turned 100k last week, and with the mods it pulls like a mule.
Just plan, think, plan some more, and do what makes the most sense. I bought my 1997 for 33k out the door. It is the XLT, 4x4, and loaded.
It appears the same truck is 60-70k today.
I just can't get that wrapped around my head.
I don't see anymore new trucks in my future. I have a friend spec'ing out a new King Ranch 2015 4x4 dually, went with him to see some on the Ford lots. The trucks are incredibly plush, but complex...and buried in emissions crap.
We took my '97 when we went looking, just for giggles.
Two dealers wanted to know if I'd trade it in, their sales staff were salivating over it and I had to kick one " sales manager" outta the seat after 20 minutes of listening to him tell me how much he'd give me.
One Service manager tracked me down on the lot and tried to buy it from me right then and there for himself :D
I have his card, but I told him not to hold his breath.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000