will lucas follow bitd

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I was wondering if lucas will change to a 1000cc too. After watching the lucas video of speedworld the pro utv looked under powered.Any thoughts on this since cory is tech guy in lucas maybe he will get them to make some changes.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I was wondering if lucas will change to a 1000cc too. After watching the lucas video of speedworld the pro utv looked under powered.Any thoughts on this since cory is tech guy in lucas maybe he will get them to make some changes.
speedworld lends itself to the SR1 class. I hope they keep the two classes.

something tells me there may be a canam 800 in the mix next season :cool:

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I spoke with Austin Kimbrel, Jason Weller, Bobby V, and Rob Muzzy about this very subject and they're not completely opposed to the idea. The Teryx boys can make a TON of power over 800cc's.

I also spoke with Lee at LOORRS. He said that they will visit the idea, if the top 3 in points agree to the changes.

Lets hear from Chad and Grant, Bobby, and Austin and hammer this thing out! I'd love to see an increase.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I say GO 1000cc and lets see these cars haul butt.

Will the motor costs go down some? Is it more expensive for a builder to make a fire breathing motor and keep it under 800cc?

Weller Racing

I Make Things Go Fast - Official UTVUnderground Sp
Aug 21, 2009
Chandler, AZ
www.wellerracing.com
I spoke with Austin Kimbrel, Jason Weller, Bobby V, and Rob Muzzy about this very subject and they're not completely opposed to the idea. The Teryx boys can make a TON of power over 800cc's.

I also spoke with Lee at LOORRS. He said that they will visit the idea, if the top 3 in points agree to the changes.

Lets hear from Chad and Grant, Bobby, and Austin and hammer this thing out! I'd love to see an increase.
I remember talking to you about this Brian, but I was opposed to the idea... To me it makes sense to leave it at 800cc's.

The biggest reason is the top racers probably each have several 800cc race engines. The cost to convert them to 1000cc would be pretty hefty. Also all the R&D we have is for that engine displacement, and not to mention the stuff we have in the works that would be worthless if the cc's were raised. I feel that if the cc limit is raised to 1000cc's we will be having problems with reliability like the rhinos had.

Corry also asked some important questions – why even change it? Who’s wanting to raise it? Current LOORRS racers? If it’s to include Can-Am, well they make an 800cc that would fit nicely inside the current rules, so why try to raise the limit?

It’s important to look at the big picture when asking for change – short course isn’t like desert racing. What might be a good change for desert rules doesn’t necessarily transmit over to the short course world the same way.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
The biggest reason is the top racers probably each have several 800cc race engines. The cost to convert them to 1000cc would be pretty hefty. Also all the R&D we have is for that engine displacement, and not to mention the stuff we have in the works that would be worthless if the cc's were raised. I feel that if the cc limit is raised to 1000cc's we will be having problems with reliability like the rhinos had.
Making it a 1 liter engine will be just as expensive as an 800, as soon as so-n-so gets beat by so-n-so's engine its game on and the dollar$ will fly plus something no on has mentiond yet, where does this leave the RZR? Is it capable of 1000cc's and would the cases, crank, and clutch hold that?

As for worthless, I agree. Its allways easy spend other peoples money and discard their investment in equipment, however the loss in investment is one that I as well as many other Rhino owners can attest to and why I embrace the SR1 program so much.....anyone want to buy our old 760 race engine?

Last edited:

Grant@funco

Monster Energy / Funco Kawasaki - UTVUnderground A
Feb 8, 2009
Califorinia

Do you have a dog in the fight , Are you planning on building a Unlimited UTV?

Leave the 800 cc alone , period. We are already struggling to maintain a real UTV class.This is not meant as a dig on the SR1 but in my opionion they are more BUGGY then UTV. I can understand the appeal but for those of us using racing as a marketing tool for the UTV guy we want to stay UTV.

Reactions: 1 person

Grant@funco

Monster Energy / Funco Kawasaki - UTVUnderground A
Feb 8, 2009
Califorinia
Doug makes good points about the RZR.
We have our drivetrain pretty reliable with 800cc , what do you think will happen we we go 1000 cc.I have had the conversation man times with the other competitors in the UTV class, do we want to race on the track or to the parts counter .

Frankley this is a silly conversation.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I would have to agree, a change to 1000cc would put a serious hurting on the Unlim. UTV turnout. Yeah, there would be a few really really fast guys, but there would be a small turnout, and a lot of space between the big dollar teams, and the rest. I think UTV racing is at a good point right now. Racing is pretty tight exciting, and just fast enough to put on a good show, with an occasional good wreck for the fans..

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I think there was only 5 unlimited utv's at Speedworld and they were out numbered by the SR1 cars. I hope this isnt a trend.As a racer I understand leaving it at 800cc but I think it is eventually going to have to go up.

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
Do you have a dog in the fight , Are you planning on building a Unlimited UTV?
I am considering building a Commander. So knowing which one to get would be important. The limit will have to go up one day, thats why people are talking about it today. :) Are you guys racing a UTV in 2011?

I do understand where everyone is coming from regarding cost, reliability, and R&D. Take those three things out of the argument....... Wouldnt everyone like to see UTV's have more power, and more UTV's be able to contend?

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
Also, is there any info regarding ZX10's racing with SR1's next year? Jason, are you going to build a kit?

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
the real question is going to be.... How many unlimited UTVs will even race next year? You have quite a few people going to trucks wether its super lites or prolites. I think RJ has about had it with the RZR!

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
the real question is going to be.... How many unlimited UTVs will even race next year? You have quite a few people going to trucks wether its super lites or prolites. I think RJ has about had it with the RZR!
True. RJ said the same thing to me. I thought I heard Chad may not run UTV's any longer as well?

If this trend continues, it would make sense to do anything to draw in more competitors. Perhaps there are Arctic Cats that would like to compete?

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
I do understand where everyone is coming from regarding cost, reliability, and R&D. Take those three things out of the argument....... Wouldnt everyone like to see UTV's have more power, and more UTV's be able to contend?
The problem is....cost, reliability and R&D are some of the biggest factors in short course racing - so you can't really take them out of the equation. Those three things need to be taken into consideration and well thought out for a class to succeed......

I agree with Jason, Grant and Doug .....leave the Unlimited Class as it is - and this is coming from the people who are currently already involved / invested in the series.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I have had conversation recently with Funco, Kimbrell, and Walker Evans and all 3 told me they will be back to race Unlimited UTV in 2011. Funco and Kimbrell reassured me this past weekend.

As for CC's, it can be an argument that goes either way but unless someone is actually wanting to and is ready to build something bigger than 800cc then what does it matter.......Personally I would love to see more UNlimited FACTORY backed UTV's and if that meant opening up the CC's then so be it. But if opening up the CC's meant losing the cars we have then that would be stupid.

I do hope after seeing such a succesful year in SR1 that we can see that class also expand. I had indepth convo with Casey Currie this weekend and he is ready to build a ZX10 powered Kawi to compete and he told me that Lucas Oil told him TO DO IT??? I have not spoken with Jason about this but I would imagine he would welcome the additional competition assuming it remains equal in power and performance keeping it a drivers class.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
I don't know what is going to happen with the Teryx in the SR1 class, but I am hearing the same rumors. I personally hope they wait a year before making any changes.....this is a brand new class, let it mature just a little before changing it. I think they should just leave both classes alone for this coming season - I think the industry is going to change up a bit throughout 2011.....and I think it would be smart to see where it goes before doing any rearranging......IMO.

As for the ZX10 motor, I believe they are very similar to the R1 - the years will differ some, and it will probably have to be looked at and restricted to certain years, like the R1's, for the closest competition levels.....but they are pretty similar. Class wise, no objections, really - as long as great pains are taken to be sure things are even.......timing wise, I just think 2011 is too early - for both classes' sake.

PS - I thought Casey was racing TORC next year?

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
As for CC's, it can be an argument that goes either way but unless someone is actually wanting to and is ready to build something bigger than 800cc then what does it matter.......Personally I would love to see more UNlimited FACTORY backed UTV's and if that meant opening up the CC's then so be it. But if opening up the CC's meant losing the cars we have then that would be stupid.

I do hope after seeing such a succesful year in SR1 that we can see that class also expand. I had indepth convo with Casey Currie this weekend and he is ready to build a ZX10 powered Kawi to compete and he told me that Lucas Oil told him TO DO IT??? I have not spoken with Jason about this but I would imagine he would welcome the additional competition assuming it remains equal in power and performance keeping it a drivers class.
My feelings, the Teryx already has a class, UnLimited UTV. The SR1 was created to allow people with an existing chassis and uncompetitive engine (like us) to race against others in the same boat. By allowing the Teryx to put a ZX engine in takes away from the factory supported class and makes it about as much a Teryx as the Yamaha is a Rhino.

Im not against this move but feel its premature and taking more away from the factory supported class. Let those that have invested so much run out their contracts THEN open it up.

By allowing the ZX build because Casey wants it then you might as well let the 1000cc Commander race because Brian wants it. (sorry Brian, I had to) plus, by allowing the ZX build I’m curious who will really want to build a production based Unlimited?

And, what about the Dempsey’s & Winburys, what if they move to a ZX, then that leaves VanBeekum, George, Kimbrell, Anderson, and maybe Brian B but, Muzzy has A TON of ZX experience so...and the UnLimited class goes from 8 regulars to 4.

Would it affect the level of factory participation from Commander if there’s no one to race?

Would Polaris pull out all together?

Granted these are all hypothetical scenarios but ones that could easily gain traction depending on how Lucas handles it. I say leave it alone for one more year and see which way the trend goes, then adjust. What ever happens though we'll be there to race.

You know what I heard the other day? The UnLimited Lites want V8's in their trucks. Hahahahaha...

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
SR1 is more of a buggy than a Rhino. I say open it up to any 1000cc or less motorcycle engine in a UTV chassis and let it fly.

On the pro UTV side, bumping the limit up to 1000 cc in short course would make the RZR obsolete with the current engine. I think the class will need to move to 1000 cc eventually, but probably not 2011.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000