Will the 2013 KOH UTV Race Scare People Away or Bring More

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
This year's HCR King of the Hammers UTV Race was super tough. Many times harder than anything we have done in previous years. Only 3 out of 35 finished within the alotted time.

Do you think this will bring the race to a new level that brings more competitors or scare racers away?

So far I have heard more complaints about racing with the EMC guys and the time limit than how hard the course was. What say you?

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
Michelle and I are racing next year, that's all there is too it. And I hope you are too Jon!

loco

Loco Time - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
Placerville, CA
It's going to bring a new breed of UTV modifications for people to finish the race. Watch RZR's become more tube buggy like, boat sided, and lead filled front bumpers to push guys out of the way. LOL

mclerc07

Jan 30, 2012
i think the low finishing #'s is motivation to build a rig that will finish. this is the type of race that is gonna test you, if it were easy either no-one would do it or everyone and their dog would do it.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
My only concern is that we get more time. A lot more time. I would have liked to finished, and probably would have given another couple of hours....

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Its going to be interesting...being three did finish, proves SXSs can do it and that means the course was not unrealistic and therefore may be pushed harder yet.

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
as long as you know where your going and have a ride to get there spectating is fine. It isn't a short course race by any means so there not gonna set bleachers up and pave the roads to the different obstacles. Although it would not surprise me if they had bleachers at Chocolate Thunder next year

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
spectating was great. pull up early for a good front row seat. sit in the utv to watch. drink a cold beer :) after having to take off your helmet :(

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think its absolutely going to scare people away. The question is, is that a bad thing or a good thing? It really depends on how you look at it. KOH is the toughest UTV race on the planet, it should be big and scary. You got to sack up to take it on!! Now, the negative is if it kills car counts to the point that Cole drops the class altogether. I am hoping that it motivates racers that competed this year as well as others who didn't race to say that they want to take on the most difficult race in the world!

My question is this. How many of those who raced KOH are going to race the rest of the Ultra 4 series? Dave said that UTV's are welcomed at all rounds now of Ultra 4 racing.

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
I think its absolutely going to scare people away. The question is, is that a bad thing or a good thing? It really depends on how you look at it. KOH is the toughest UTV race on the planet, it should be big and scary. You got to sack up to take it on!! Now, the negative is if it kills car counts to the point that Cole drops the class altogether. I am hoping that it motivates racers that competed this year as well as others who didn't race to say that they want to take on the most difficult race in the world!

My question is this. How many of those who raced KOH are going to race the rest of the Ultra 4 series? Dave said that UTV's are welcomed at all rounds now of Ultra 4 racing.

We have raced KOH for three years now. The last two years, we entered two cars, and I agree that last year was too easy and maybe this year was either a little too difficult for the time allowed, or that we needed more time.

We have no intentions of running any other Ultra 4 races this year.

We look forward to KOH, and will probably do it again next year. However, it will probably be in just one car, and we will build another to pre-run.

If I had to guess, I would think there will be less entries next year. A lot depends on how they set up the race next year, if there is a next year. It appears a lot of the EMC guys don't want us out there at the same time as they are. Without them, the publicity we would get would probably revert to previous years where we really got none.

It will be interesting to see what Dave does.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
If we get a solid class showing, I would be down to run the Glen Helen race.

Kevlar

dunechaser1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 8, 2009
Visalia, Ca
www.dunechasers.com
How many more rigs would've finished if there were no EMC rigs pluggin the trail?

Next year, I think you will get more entries and with better built rigs with more experienced drivers. Look for some EMC guys switching over.

Has anyone thought of a UTV only race at same location? If they cant start them on a separate day then you may see alot of this years entries drop out.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Agreed, Running the EMC guys with the UTV class wasn't beneficial for either class. From what little I got to see of the UTV EMC race they spent to some time tripping over each other. There were places that the UTVs could sail through but the EMC guys had hell so the UTVs wound up waiting. That coin played both sides so they too wound up waiting at obstacles that they knew they could pedal right through. I think if they're going to run them together again I'd put the UTVs out the gate first by about an hour. Between that and the UTVs ability to outrun them on the desert it would be a better deal for both classes.

More time is truly needed, 7 hours or whatever was kinda crazy considering the course. I'd say give them 10, at least. I think the same for the EMC's.

I didn't get to watch a lot of the UTV EMC race because I got to help in the pits but Friday we had great seat for spectating. I think its like anything else, go to the easiest places to get to and your going to be one in a million. Crunch a few rocks on the skid plate and you'll get the best seats with the best and smallest crowd:D:D

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
I say bump the Motos back with the utv's and run the emc guys on their own day. They can play well together and or run totally different trails.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
I liked it. I would prefer more desert between rock sections however. We also should have had at least the same amount of time as the EMC cars. I only gave up because I knew if I fixed my failure I'd have to step it up speedwise to finish within time, and speeding up what is already a fast pace is a recipe for getting hurt.

I hope they have actual legitimate qualifying next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000