Working on my new/old tow Rig ;-)

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
In the truck world, they call it a "Fummins". Theres a guy out where I live who swapped a cummins in an old school chevy club cab, and he swears by it. The company is called "Bones Fabrication". Check it out:)

I have seen the "Fummins" in old Trucks like mine but I can't handel the noise that a Diesel makes ;-)

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Here is the direction Cisco is headed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFZpKpVHFTY&feature=related"]Papa Smurf - YouTube[/ame]

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
You just need a good stereo and or ear plugs :) nothing beats good ol torque :D
Mexican Music Si Señor ;-)

We are having the Motor, Tranny and Rear end gears match ;-)
We are going to have lots of torque, power, and Danas front and rear ;-)

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
I got a question for you experienced framers when it comes to severely rusted screws and bolts what is the best approach to breaking them loose? Few days ago I had some small torx screws holding my diamond plate waste tank cover I was trying to get off . I didn’t have access to the threads to spray some penetrate oil, so put a lot off compression force on it and turned it to break them only stripping and having to drill one head off. Like it’s do or die it brakes loose or you cutting/drilling it out. I’m thinking what idiot at the factory put these small screws through the rusty steel trailer I beam. Under cars/trailers there is little room to drill, cut bolts off, sucks! Thinking of replacing my axles I see big ¾ bolts/nuts completely rusted looks nasty, no room under there for good breaker bar leverage. Maybe why local RV shop wants $2,000 labor to swap out my axles.

Also, anyone know of a good out-fitter in So Cal I want to get rid of my bed and go to a diamond plate flat bed more fuel capacity, etc…

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
CK, what do you use for heat and where did you get it?

So you heat the head up, bang on it with a hammer maybe to break loose, wait until it cools then wrench on it?

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
CK, what do you use for heat and where did you get it?

So you heat the head up, bang on it with a hammer maybe to break loose, wait until it cools then wrench on it?
Portable Torch - heat up nut - when near red color - use wrench and bingo ;-)

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
Try spraying some penetrating oil on there everyday for a week and then go after them. We use Kroil here at work on the dozers. It helps for sure.

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
I got this 'as seen on tv" stuff called "Fabulous Blaster" penetrating oil....Maybe I should start a week early and pre-plan. I could not get to the nuts or threads sometimes and sheet metal screws I had have no nut and are small weak and a booger to get off rusted in. Will get a torch too.

I'd never put a screw driver head through rusty steel, a hex for sure and I have sheared those heads off before that really sucks! :mad:

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
TNT, have u googled western hauler beds? All kinds of nice designs to check out.
Yeah I looked at them back when I purchased my 2008 F-450 in KS, bed I wanted cost $20K making it a $90K truck I could not afford. They are out of Fort Worth, you have to go to them and they will not even ship beds.

Anyone know anyone local? Also a good diesel mechanic, the 2010+ has about 150 ft lbs more torque around 800 I think bigger 6.7 single turbo vs my 6.4 twin turbo, can't decide if I want to trade up for a new truck cheaper model with a bed or mod my King Ranch with a bed, chip, new exhaust, etc....

One guy I talked to with a 2011 said he dynoed out 1100 ft lbs after going to a larger diameter exhaust getting rid of all the factory emissions, chip, and he was pulling half the trailer I have...bragger lol! Loved the truck tho, better gas mileage, better nav, etc...

BTW Ford is the quietest diesel I ever heard like a gas motor, it's a nice truck pulls my 22k lbs @ 7 mpg pretty good stock. Not many issues in 60K miles knock on wood....just replaced a $200 upr coolant hose and $300 thermostat parts and labor. O8's are a beech to work on the mechanics agree very tight!

ageekwithajeep

UTVUnderground La-Familia
Oct 13, 2010
Spokane Wa
Depending on how far ur willing to drive SoCal truck works is in Indian hills, near riverside we've been using them for 40+ years

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
OK back to Tow Rig ;-)

Got a 18K Super Glide,
The guy is a fire fighter and he just got the truck with 20k miles and the hitch came with it and he does not need it
It looks to be in excellent shape, got all the connection hardware + the rails, just need the Capture Plate ;-)

Man that thing is heavy my poor F-150 just went down a 1” or 2” ;-)

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
I use to run the 18K in a 6 foot bed Dodge diesel then I found out the guy that sold me my TH and superglide was off on the weight of my rig it weighs 22K not 16K. In mine the whole gliding operation is articulated to a BALL(not plain) bearing if it blows which mine did the TH will drop to your bed rails move rear stop by chains or the tail gate, my case tailgate was the only that keep me from loosing it completely and hitting someone behind me. I think they updated to a higher rated bearing you might want to look at yours, 2007 time frame. After that I immediated sold it and the truck and went to the F-450 8’ bed. Ol 2500 dodge mega cab was rated @ 13,5K pulled 22K for good year and only blew two tranny flex plates, one SG bearing.

When this same dealer took off to show me how the SG worked the first turn out of the driveway he hit my rear window area and ended up paying for the body damage. Guy had 30 years in RV sales and repair. Part of my learning experience to never listen to sales people regardless of their experience level.

All I can say is be careful with your turns, you have to clean and re marine grease the rails after each use, check update and carry an xtra bearing inspect it occasionally. O and get some air bags or shocks or something for squat. :D

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
I use to run the 18K in a 6 foot bed Dodge diesel then I found out the guy that sold me my TH and superglide was off on the weight of my rig it weighs 22K not 16K. In mine the whole gliding operation is articulated to a BALL(not plain) bearing if it blows which mine did the TH will drop to your bed rails move rear stop by chains or the tail gate, my case tailgate was the only that keep me from loosing it completely and hitting someone behind me. I think they updated to a higher rated bearing you might want to look at yours, 2007 time frame. After that I immediated sold it and the truck and went to the F-450 8’ bed. Ol 2500 dodge mega cab was rated @ 13,5K pulled 22K for good year and only blew two tranny flex plates, one SG bearing.

When this same dealer took off to show me how the SG worked the first turn out of the driveway he hit my rear window area and ended up paying for the body damage. Guy had 30 years in RV sales and repair. Part of my learning experience to never listen to sales people regardless of their experience level.

All I can say is be careful with your turns, you have to clean and re marine grease the rails after each use, check update and carry an xtra bearing inspect it occasionally. O and get some air bags or shocks or something for squat. :D
My TH loaded = less than 15K - That is why I got a 18K Hitch and not a 16K

And yes look both ways before crossing the street ;-)

For now no Air Bags, as my Old/New Tow Rig has a 1 ton rear End ;-)

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
My son just got a 2011 F-150 FX couple days ago he loves it, said it's tow rating in around 13,000 bumper whats yours @ pin? Sounds like your tounge weight is too high. 1 ton is for beds loaded evenly to the chassis and suspension not superglides or king pins just be carefull. :)

My 2.5(5,000 lb) F-450 can pull 24,500 at the pin cause I got HUGE steel L angles,, and transfer plates all around it center of bed, my leaf spring are gigantic, and my diff like a dump truck , monster shocks and tranny, no squat @ 7k toung stock. If put a superglide back there it pull far less. My bumper is only 16k, 1600 max tounge. :)

Last edited:

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
Terry, he used his F-150 to pick up the Hitch, it will go into his F-250HD, He will be fine and well with in all the limits;)
O, just got back from looking at fuel transfer storage box for mine I thought it tie into my existing fuel tank but they say thats illegal, I got to buy a pump and hose like I got on my RV to pump into my filler. Guess plus is I can fill other peeps tanks up....45 more gallons. UWS(Westin) makes this 60" wide with 45 gals fuel and tool storage for $1100 Dee Zee electric pump 12 foot hose cost $700. Anyone know where I can get a better deal or have one they can comment on?

F-450 has 35 gal this give me 80 :) Talk about too much tounge weight this plus the 50 gals water I carry back there and the fifth wheel....hmmmmm. I might need some air shocks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000