X-3 demo ride review

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
As a current XP1000 owner I thought I would give you guys my impressions of the new X-3

I was lucky enough to sign up for the demo ride through Can Am and have it be in my favorite playground, Glamis. I was able to drive the 3 models and had the most seat time in the XDS and XRS. The demo ride was over an hour and half and the places they choose to take us gave you a good variety. We had whoops along sand highway, small and medium dunes, some snake trails near the canal and some mild cruising areas. It was a good mix to give you a good feel on how the X-3 drives.

If you are familiar with Glamis, we started off in the vendor row area and they took us over to Competition Hill. From there we head toward Gecko and cut across the smaller dunes toward Roadrunner. From Roadrunner we crossed the road and played in the snake trails that run through the bushes. We crossed back over the road and played in the dunes heading back toward sand highway by Comp Hill. From there we headed back to Vendors mostly in the whoop section with some small dunes thrown in. I would say we did around 30 miles of riding. All the cars I drove were on stock bighorn tires and I was told air pressure was between 8-10.

The interior and seating:

It is a fancier brand of plastic that has a comfortable feel and everything is very easy to reach. All the buttons you can reach seat belted in and there are a ton of blank switch plates to hook up your lights or other accessories. It is a very nice layout.

I was not sure about the steering wheel as it seemed kinda small. But after a few minutes of driving, I love it. The quicker steering really helps. I like that the gauges are right there in front of you and the steering wheel adjust up and down with ease. The seats are very comfortable and I just can't believe how nice the seat sliders work. I don't think you have to buy aftermarket seats for this car. The Can Am person showed us how you can add the 5th point for the harnesses. There is slot built into the seat base and you just have to cut a hole in the pre-designated area in the seat cushion. The car has tabs set up to add 4 point harnesses.

It is very easy to lower the seats with the removal of a few bolts and some bushing in the rear mount of the seat. As I am not a giant (5'7' or maybe 5'8" with the afro). I preferred the stock seat height. I was able to see very well and I did not feel like there were any crazy blind spots. I did ride in one car that had the seats in the lowest position and my line of sight was not great for the dunes.

I felt the the interior layout and overall look was nicer than than the Polaris XP. It has a more solid feel to it and it does help the steering wheel does not move up and down and the seats do not move when you grab them. But reality is once you start driving you really don't give too shits about what the interior looks like in either the Polaris or the X-3. Both interiors are functional and easy to clean.

The three setting power steering is pretty neat and can be adjusted on the fly with a push of the button.

Now to the ride

Base model:

This was my least favorite of the models. The suspension never bottomed out, but the car was very sketchy in the whoops when I got up to around 50mph. I could feel the rear of the car moving side to side. It was a lot more twitchy in the dunes as well. This could be because of the smaller 28" tires. The suspension to me was a little rough over what chop I came across, but for a base model shock it was not a horrible ride. This car also had the most body roll of the 3. I felt like my XP1000 rode nicer than the base model.

Interestingly, of the 3 cars I drove the base model was the one that I heard the intake noise the most. Not sure why on this model I heard it.

I liked having the power steering set at minimum for this model.

XDS:

This is the car I spent the most time in and I kinda did it on purpose as most of you guys might end up with this model. The suspension is very nice on the XDS. I hit a lot of stuff and it never felt like it was going to bottom out. In the whoops the car is very stable and soaks them up, I think I was going anywhere from 30-55 or slightly faster. In the dunes it was very predictable and nimble. It never had any issues with any g-outs, but keep in mind we were not in the big dunes. The suspension soaks up stuff very well. I could blip the throttle and glide over stuff and it was smooth.

I never notice any significant body roll on this model. The front sway bar really helps keep the car planted and not nose dive as much. The intake noise was not loud at all. The XDS I drove I only heard the exhaust and motor noise.

On this car, I also liked the power steering at minimum.

XRS (The sand caddy):

This is the car that made the demo ride worth it. For some reason, when I sat in the XRS it just felt different than the other two. The layout of the cockpit is the same and the seating is the same. There is just this feeling you get when you see those 30" tires sticking way out past the fenders and you know you have those big Fox shocks giving you 22/24" of wheel travel to play with. The other two cars I felt like I was getting into a SXS. When I sat in the XRS it felt like I was getting into an off-road car/sand car that was ready to eat whatever comes in its path.

This is by far the best driving SXS I have driven in the dunes. The Fox internal by-pass shocks are the bomb and the stock settings were spot on for the riding conditions. I was concerned the wider stance and huge amount of suspension travel was going to give it a lazy feeling in the dunes. The XRS is surprisingly nimble and stays planted, no matter what you hit. It is just not fair to the desert or dunes what this car can handle. Coming across bowls you can mash the throttle and the car just sticks like a slot car. You brace for the transition and you feel nothing. No sand splashing over the nose and no feeling of the rear hitting. This was just in the smaller to medium dunes. I can only imagine hitting the big bowls doing 70-80mph (yes this car will get you going that fast!) and it just soaking up the transitions. Things I would normally slow down for I found myself giving it throttle to lighten the front end and just cruise right over it. The 30" tires really help roll right over stuff.

I was very sad when I had to give up my seat time to let someone else drive it.

In case you can't tell - I love this car!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts:

The power on all three cars is great. It is not mind blowing, nor was the Polaris Turbo when I drove it. The 154hp is not going to throw you in the back of your seat, it just does not have that type of violent hit. It is a very workable power band that comes alive around 30mph and up. It gets from 30 to 60 very quick and if you are not careful you can get yourself in trouble. The power band is perfect for the dunes - the power is there when you need it. In the dirt I am sure this car could be a handful when the power kicks in.

With the suspension of the XRS and even the XDS you do not realize how fast you are going sometimes.

If I were gong to buy one it would be the XRS. The suspension and stability are everything you could ask for in a dune machine. The power of the motor is the icing on the cake. Even if this car had only 110hp and was not a turbo I would still buy it (okay I am lying, it still needs the 154hp). The XRS is the most complete overall package for the dunes and desert. The XRS is the perfect combination of suspension and wheelbase.

For me the base model and the XDS just do not give me enough to want to run out and buy one. Don't get me wrong they are great SXSs. They just do not give me enough wow to want to ditch my current ride.

My opinions on the cars is strictly from a dune/desert perspective. For trail riding lets be honest - a turbo car is overkill. Most of us are more than content with any of the non-turbo offerings.

The X-3 is leaps and bounds better in every way over the Maverick and even the turbo Maverick. This is the car they should of released instead of the Turbo Maverick.

So you want to know how it stacks up compared to the Polaris -

Most of my Polaris experience is from my XP1000. I have driven the turbo XP 144hp, but not enough to really give you a true comparison on the power and suspension. Glamisfan or some other XPT turbo owner can pipe in on this.

The interior hands down the X-3 is the winner in layout and over all looks. Both the Polaris and X-3 are functional and give you amble storage. What I really like about the X-3 is the seating position, the steering wheel and gauge cluster. If Polaris went to the the interior layout they use in the General it would really improve the XPT/XP1000 and it would be a toss up between the too.

Suspension - the XRS wins, but it is truly in its own class. I think the XDS and XPT are very comparable in ride quality and handling (this is based on my memory of how the XPT felt when I drove it). Remember the XPT comes with big internal by-pass Fox shocks. Like I posted earlier I felt my XP1000 rode nicer than the base model.

Now to the stuff you may not want to hear or maybe you do, but I am going to give it to you anyway:

I asked the Can Am person how the belts were holding up in the sand and he told me they killed 3 belts in the dunes. They apparently were letting the dealers go at for the past two days and as the guy told me the dealer drivers are worse than general public. LOL! (Just watch the video of the guy that rolled one at Olds - which killed all demo rides to Olds). I do not know if they were new belts or the same belts from all the demo rides. He did not give me an answer to this question. By the way, every car I drove today had around 1,100 miles on it.

Someone managed to kill a front axle on the demo ride today on a XDS model. Looked like it popped out of the front diff. You could smell gear oil and see it all over the inner fender. This could of been one of the units that was rolled (there are a few). I do not know.

I think Can Am did a great job on the X-3. If it would not cause a divorce, I would have a XRS in my garage tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dudeonit

Chino's Finest - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Dec 10, 2010
Chino, CA
Thanks for the in depth review Noel. I was supposed to go on that ride but could not make it. I am waiting for long term reviews but that car felt nice just sitting in it. I suppose a test ride is due Halloween.Since I have the 10 foot garage this car is out unless I upgrade the fifth or go to a motorhome. Us Americans and our problems, right!!

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Here's my ride review.

I'm not a good writer like some others on here, so feel free to ask any questions.
I checked the tire pressure on 2 cars. An xds had 15, and an xrs had 9.5.
I've seen a vid of an owner doing 88mph at 8250 rpms. These cars were limited to 7500 rpm and about 70mph. They were also locked into 4wd. The switch made no difference.
I own an xpt, and had a first gen Maverick and a race Rhino before that.

Power: similar to a stock xpt. These cars are short about 700 rpm, so they are not a good example to go by. My xpt is good stock, and the acceleration is violent with a level 3 tune putting out about 175 hp. If I got an x3, the first thing I'd do is put 5 point harnesses on, and the second would be to get a tune. It will make it a beast.

Ride: I drove the xrs first. It was like riding on a cloud! It actually was too soft. The rear needed both more compression and rebound. Should just be a matter of a few turns on the shock adjustments. And maybe lowering the crossover nut. I did not feel the ruff ride at slow speeds that some have complained about.

I did not drive the base model. So the xds: it felt very similar to my xpt, just with 12" more wheelbase. And that wheelbase makes all the difference in the world. I was able to go a little faster down sand hwy then in my xpt, but with a lot more confidence.

The very bad: near the end of our 1 1/2 hr drive, two xrs' blew their belts. The Can Am guy said they were the 3rd and 4th to break since Wednesday when they got there. I don't believe him. We were only driving at about 50%. Reinforces my desire to keep waiting for a car like the xrs, but without a rubber band in the drivetrain.

I did follow a group after me, and someone rolled a car near Olds, and they returned after only a 15 minute ride.

The route we took was the same as Sand sharks.

Reactions: JoeyD23

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Thanks Glamisfan.

Seeing how some were driving yesterday I am impressed more belts have not blown. Whiskey throttle everywhere. Lol!

I am not overly concerned with the belts on the X-3 for me and the way I drive.

But if I am Joe Fab or the vendors I would stock up on some when the whiskey throttles get their rides. lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Sand shark, how was it heading down towards Roadrunner. Some of my favorite haul ass dunes.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I did not drive the base model. So the xds: it felt very similar to my xpt, just with 12" more wheelbase. And that wheelbase makes all the difference in the world. I was able to go a little faster down sand hwy then in my xpt, but with a lot more confidence.
I've been racing for along time in several classes. You can't fix or substitute wheelbase. HP & wheel travel will not make a shorter WB car better. That is going to be the RZR's weakness vs the X3. I bet the next RZR will be longer.

Reactions: dkiewicz and Bajaxp

Cool_Racer_79

Sep 10, 2016
Here's my ride review.

I'm not a good writer like some others on here, so feel free to ask any questions.
I checked the tire pressure on 2 cars. An xds had 15, and an xrs had 9.5.
I've seen a vid of an owner doing 88mph at 8250 rpms. These cars were limited to 7500 rpm and about 70mph. They were also locked into 4wd. The switch made no difference.
I own an xpt, and had a first gen Maverick and a race Rhino before that.

Power: similar to a stock xpt. These cars are short about 700 rpm, so they are not a good example to go by. My xpt is good stock, and the acceleration is violent with a level 3 tune putting out about 175 hp. If I got an x3, the first thing I'd do is put 5 point harnesses on, and the second would be to get a tune. It will make it a beast.

Ride: I drove the xrs first. It was like riding on a cloud! It actually was too soft. The rear needed both more compression and rebound. Should just be a matter of a few turns on the shock adjustments. And maybe lowering the crossover nut. I did not feel the ruff ride at slow speeds that some have complained about.

The very bad: near the end of our 1 1/2 hr drive, two xrs' blew their belts. The Can Am guy said they were the 3rd and 4th to break since Wednesday when they got there. I don't believe him. We were only driving at about 50%. Reinforces my desire to keep waiting for a car like the xrs, but without a rubber band in the drivetrain.

I did follow a group after me, and someone rolled a car near Olds, and they returned after only a 15 minute ride.

The route we took was the same as Sand sharks.
What about the YXZ1000R??? No belt, 3 cylinder and high revs!

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Sand shark, how was it heading down towards Roadrunner. Some of my favorite haul ass dunes.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
We took mild dunes to roadrunner. Kinda in and out of the dunes and the flat parts. Nice pace, nothing fast. Still had some spots we got up to some good speeds.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I've been racing for along time in several classes. You can't fix or substitute wheelbase. HP & wheel travel will not make a shorter WB car better. That is going to be the RZR's weakness vs the X3. I bet the next RZR will be longer.
Very true about the wheelbase in this case as there is 12" of wheelbase to make up. If it were only a few inches I don't think it would be a big deal.

That is why I was kinda shocked the base model swapped the ass end and did not feel better than my XP1000.

The XDS felt very stable and the XRS model is super stable.

Last edited:

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Great reviews guys...that is what i love about this site...you get the facts!

I have not driven any of the X3's yet but i looked and XRS over really thoroughly and didn't see any reason why it wouldn't be a kick butt dune machine.

kmb760

Mar 28, 2013
A 4 seat model would basically be a low Hp sandrail.

When I was taking to the reps at the demo ride I was told that Can-Am actually built the 4 seater first to make sure it was possible and then scaled it down to what we see now. I kind of believe it and would make all the hear say slightly more true that in 5 months Can-Am's next release will be the 4 seater

Reactions: sand shark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000